Load balancing between two WAN gateways - Networking

This is a discussion on Load balancing between two WAN gateways - Networking ; Greetings, We are trying to load balance our WAN traffic for the LANs we are hosting. We would like to find a solution that would be transparent both for incoming and outgoing traffic. We can scheme the issue as follows ...

  1. Load balancing between two WAN gateways

    Greetings,

    We are trying to load balance our WAN traffic for the LANs we are
    hosting. We would like to find a solution that would be transparent both
    for incoming and outgoing traffic.

    We can scheme the issue as follows :

    ISP1 ISP2
    | |
    | |
    ------------------------------- ... backbone (10.0.0.0/8)
    | | |
    R1 R2 R3
    | | |
    client1 client2 client3 (all: 192.168.X.0/24, where X can be
    the same digit for all clients)

    As a solution to balance the traffic in order to provide the best
    service to our LANs, we have thought about placing a router on our ISP
    xDSL modem and using BGP4

    Would this solution solve our problem ?

    What (other) solution would be best, to you ?

    Regards,
    --
    Sebastien

  2. Re: Load balancing between two WAN gateways

    On Mar 10, 2:15 am, SLE reply.fr> wrote:

    > We are trying to load balance our WAN traffic for the LANs we are
    > hosting. We would like to find a solution that would be transparent both
    > for incoming and outgoing traffic.

    Make a list of your requirements. Keep clear what are must haves and
    what are simply desirable. Then talk to your ISPs. If that fails, you
    can work on fakery with multiple IPs in DNS and NAT tricks.

    DS

  3. Re: Load balancing between two WAN gateways

    On Mar 10, 11:15 am, SLE reply.fr> wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > We are trying to load balance our WAN traffic for the LANs we are
    > hosting. We would like to find a solution that would be transparent both
    > for incoming and outgoing traffic.
    >
    > We can scheme the issue as follows :
    >
    > ISP1 ISP2
    > | |
    > | |
    > ------------------------------- ... backbone (10.0.0.0/8)
    > | | |
    > R1 R2 R3
    > | | |
    > client1 client2 client3 (all: 192.168.X.0/24, where X can be
    > the same digit for all clients)
    >
    > As a solution to balance the traffic in order to provide the best
    > service to our LANs, we have thought about placing a router on our ISP
    > xDSL modem and using BGP4
    >
    > Would this solution solve our problem ?
    >
    > What (other) solution would be best, to you ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Sebastien

    -I heard about those techniques you are talking about, But I know that
    some routers that made specially to do this task hang and cause
    problems, So choose a good solution to do so. I have 2 servers that
    work with 2 Internet connections without any extra fees to buy a
    router or some thing else, Just using the Linux gateway machine to
    load balancing between the 2 Internet connections, And you will be
    able to monitor there traffic from Linux and more, Also I am sure I
    can load balancing among 7 or 8 Internet connections using Linux and
    some of my friends did so but it just will need some time to
    configure, I don't want to do a propaganda here for some Linux
    commercial software that do this easily for you, This link may help in
    the situation of using advanced routing capabilities on Linux to use
    more than 2 Internet lines at the same time.
    http://lartc.org/

  4. Re: Load balancing between two WAN gateways

    SLE wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > We are trying to load balance our WAN traffic for the LANs we are
    > hosting. We would like to find a solution that would be transparent both
    > for incoming and outgoing traffic.
    >
    > We can scheme the issue as follows :
    >
    > ISP1 ISP2
    > | |
    > | |
    > ------------------------------- ... backbone (10.0.0.0/8)
    > | | |
    > R1 R2 R3
    > | | |
    > client1 client2 client3 (all: 192.168.X.0/24, where X can be
    > the same digit for all clients)
    >
    > As a solution to balance the traffic in order to provide the best
    > service to our LANs, we have thought about placing a router on our ISP
    > xDSL modem and using BGP4
    >
    > Would this solution solve our problem ?
    >
    > What (other) solution would be best, to you ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Sebastien

    Zeroshell Linux firewall claims to balance the WAN connections by using
    VPN bonding. If you want to get other details read
    http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/ that is the English version of Zeroshell's
    site.

    Bye
    Trudy