NFS Mounts not visible - Networking

This is a discussion on NFS Mounts not visible - Networking ; I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible. All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That causes my self monitoring scripts to complain ...

  1. NFS Mounts not visible

    I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
    successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.

    All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
    causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

    So, why would a directory be mounted from fstab, but not visible in
    mtab?

    I am using Ubuntu Gutsy.

  2. Re: NFS Mounts not visible

    Ignoramus14968 a écrit :
    > I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
    > successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.
    >
    > All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
    > causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

    Do they show up in cat /proc/mounts ?

    --
    Nicolas Bouthors -=- Tel : 06 20 71 62 34 -=- Fax : 01 46 87 21 99
    NBi SARL -=- http://nbi.fr -=- nbouthors@nbi.fr

  3. Re: NFS Mounts not visible

    On 2008-03-10, Nicolas BOUTHORS wrote:
    > Ignoramus14968 a écrit :
    >> I have a particular server. It mounts three NFS shares. They mount
    >> successfully upon reboot and stay mounted and accessible.
    >>
    >> All good, EXCEPT the mounts are not visible when I type "mount". That
    >> causes my self monitoring scripts to complain and I do not like it.

    > Do they show up in cat /proc/mounts ?

    Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: NFS Mounts not visible

    Ignoramus25976 a écrit :
    > Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

    This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
    remounted read + write.

    What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
    rw ?

    Nico

    Note : this also could indicate that your / has been remounted RO after
    an error. Check dmesg.

    --
    Nicolas Bouthors -=- Tel : 06 20 71 62 34 -=- Fax : 01 46 87 21 99
    NBi SARL -=- http://nbi.fr -=- nbouthors@nbi.fr

  5. Re: NFS Mounts not visible

    On 2008-03-10, Nicolas BOUTHORS wrote:
    > Ignoramus25976 a écrit :
    >> Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

    > This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
    > remounted read + write.
    >
    > What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
    > rw ?

    I am not sure if your diagnosis is correct. Could be something
    else.

    That server runs ubuntu gutsy.

  6. Re: NFS Mounts not visible

    On 2008-03-10, Ignoramus25976 wrote:
    > On 2008-03-10, Nicolas BOUTHORS wrote:
    >> Ignoramus25976 a écrit :
    >>> Yes, they do. I guess I can use that instead for self monitoring.

    >> This happened to me once when the mounts are done before / has been
    >> remounted read + write.
    >>
    >> What strange distribution do you use that mounts nfs before / is mounted
    >> rw ?

    > I am not sure if your diagnosis is correct. Could be something
    > else.

    Like the Note: that Nicolas wrote, that you snipped, that it could be an
    error with the / filesystem, so it's still mounted read-only? Did you
    check that / is mounted rw?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)