permanent ifconfig settings - Networking

This is a discussion on permanent ifconfig settings - Networking ; Hi folks. Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of the network everything seems like it was before. I'm new to linux and ...

  1. permanent ifconfig settings

    Hi folks.

    Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I
    disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of
    the network everything seems like it was before.

    I'm new to linux and don't understand it's mechanisms yet. (Oh, right,
    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 if that matters)

    Thanks in advance,
    Markus

  2. Re: permanent ifconfig settings

    Markus Mayer a écrit :
    > Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I
    > disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of
    > the network everything seems like it was before.
    >
    > I'm new to linux and don't understand it's mechanisms yet. (Oh, right,
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 if that matters)

    Use the /etc/network/interfaces file. There is a manpage associated (man
    5 interfaces).

    You could add a line in the paragraph for your interface looking like
    this :
    post-up ifconfig eth0 -allmulti

    Adapt with the command you used.

    Cheers,

    Nicolas

    --
    Nicolas Bouthors -=- Tel : 06 20 71 62 34 -=- Fax : 01 46 87 21 99
    NBi SARL -=- http://nbi.fr -=- nbouthors@nbi.fr

  3. Re: permanent ifconfig settings

    On 03/07/2008 04:06 PM, Markus Mayer wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I
    > disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of
    > the network everything seems like it was before.
    >
    > I'm new to linux and don't understand it's mechanisms yet. (Oh, right,
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 if that matters)

    Oh, well the info about your current distribution helps a lot.

    Try:

    man 5 interfaces
    man 8 ifconfig

    For WiFi and, or WLAN interfaces please do read the following:

    man 8 iwconfig

    FYI, you need to tweak your /etc/network/interfaces config file a bit.

    Hope that helps,
    Cheers,

    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  4. Re: permanent ifconfig settings

    Balwinder S Dheeman schrieb:
    > On 03/07/2008 04:06 PM, Markus Mayer wrote:
    >> Hi folks.
    >>
    >> Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I
    >> disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of
    >> the network everything seems like it was before.
    >>
    >> I'm new to linux and don't understand it's mechanisms yet. (Oh, right,
    >> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 if that matters)

    > Oh, well the info about your current distribution helps a lot.
    >
    > Try:
    >
    > man 5 interfaces
    > man 8 ifconfig
    >
    > For WiFi and, or WLAN interfaces please do read the following:
    >
    > man 8 iwconfig
    >
    > FYI, you need to tweak your /etc/network/interfaces config file a bit.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    > Cheers,

    Okay. Thank you!

    Markus

  5. Re: permanent ifconfig settings

    Nicolas BOUTHORS schrieb:
    > Markus Mayer a écrit :
    >> Just a short question: How do I make ifconfig settings permanent? I
    >> disabled the multicast of some of my interfaces but after a restart of
    >> the network everything seems like it was before.
    >>
    >> I'm new to linux and don't understand it's mechanisms yet. (Oh, right,
    >> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 if that matters)

    > Use the /etc/network/interfaces file. There is a manpage associated (man
    > 5 interfaces).
    >
    > You could add a line in the paragraph for your interface looking like
    > this :
    > post-up ifconfig eth0 -allmulti
    >
    > Adapt with the command you used.
    >
    > Cheers,