squid - Networking

This is a discussion on squid - Networking ; HI. Apologies if this is the wrong area, We're running squid as a proxy server for the network and it runs very reliably, We're also using the cache pools feature to limit bandwidth and this too seems to stop people ...

  1. squid

    HI.

    Apologies if this is the wrong area,

    We're running squid as a proxy server for the network and it runs very
    reliably,

    We're also using the cache pools feature to limit bandwidth and this too
    seems to stop people hogging the network etc,

    The question is, is it possible to get real-time statistics of the pool ?
    and know which IP's are using the pool etc?

    TIA !.

  2. Re: squid

    On Mar 4, 5:21 pm, "Simon Smith" wrote:
    > HI.
    >
    > Apologies if this is the wrong area,
    >
    > We're running squid as a proxy server for the network and it runs very
    > reliably,
    >
    > We're also using the cache pools feature to limit bandwidth and this too
    > seems to stop people hogging the network etc,
    >
    > The question is, is it possible to get real-time statistics of the pool ?
    > and know which IP's are using the pool etc?
    >
    > TIA !.

    -Yes man, There is a script that comes with squid called cachemgr.cgi,
    You can integrate it to work with apache as it's a CGI script and it's
    powerful, You can view it's statistics through any browser like IE or
    what ever. It will give you very detailed statistics about the use of
    the cache per IP and how many times the cache find the web contents
    locally in the cache or it returns to the web to get it, Also it will
    give you information about delay pools and the memory, CPU that squid
    uses, and many more.

  3. Re: squid

    I've been trying to tweak the delay pools to slow access, but I'm having
    problems,

    I thought it was just a case of defining an ACL and then assigning it to a
    delay pool.

    are the ACL's for the delay pools applied in order?, if it doesnt match the
    first then it will try the second ?

    this is what I have in squid.conf

    delay_pools 2
    delay_class 1 2
    delay_class 2 2

    delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 4096000/128000
    delay_parameters 2 4/4 -1/-1

    delay_access 1 allow ClientNet !YM_port !streaming-radio !streaming !youtube
    !microsoftupdate !iplayer
    delay_access 2 allow ClientNet youtube microsoftupdate iplayer

    These are the ACL's

    acl ClientNet src 10.0.0.50-10.0.0.149
    acl YM_port port 5050
    acl streaming-radio dstdomain players.heart.co.uk
    acl streaming url_regex -i magicplayer.asp
    acl youtube dstdomain youtube.com
    acl microsoftupdate dstdomain update.microsoft.com
    acl iplayer url_regex -i .swf

    Everyone seems to be throttled back to a 128k connection, this varified with
    just about any speedtest website tested with.

    but I would have though that any download with a swf file would be so
    painfully slow its unusable, but it isnt its just as fast as anything else.

    The object is the slow so much as to make it unusable for bbc's new iplayer
    service.

  4. Re: squid

    On Mar 7, 1:51 pm, "Simon Smith" wrote:
    > I've been trying to tweak the delay pools to slow access, but I'm having
    > problems,

    -Yes, It's not easy to configure delay pools on squid to do what you
    want from the first retry.
    > I thought it was just a case of defining an ACL and then assigning it to a
    > delay pool.
    >
    > are the ACL's for the delay pools applied in order?, if it doesnt match the
    > first then it will try the second ?

    -I think if it will not match it will give you an error and usually
    squid will refuse to start with errors. The beauty with delay pools is
    you can adjust it to run on specific times and so on, Flexible really.
    > this is what I have in squid.conf
    >
    > delay_pools 2
    > delay_class 1 2
    > delay_class 2 2
    >
    > delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 4096000/128000
    > delay_parameters 2 4/4 -1/-1
    >
    > delay_access 1 allow ClientNet !YM_port !streaming-radio !streaming !youtube
    > !microsoftupdate !iplayer
    > delay_access 2 allow ClientNet youtube microsoftupdate iplayer
    >
    > These are the ACL's
    >
    > acl ClientNet src 10.0.0.50-10.0.0.149
    > acl YM_port port 5050
    > acl streaming-radio dstdomain players.heart.co.uk
    > acl streaming url_regex -i magicplayer.asp
    > acl youtube dstdomain youtube.com
    > acl microsoftupdate dstdomain update.microsoft.com
    > acl iplayer url_regex -i .swf
    >
    > Everyone seems to be throttled back to a 128k connection, this varified with
    > just about any speedtest website tested with.
    >
    > but I would have though that any download with a swf file would be so
    > painfully slow its unusable, but it isnt its just as fast as anything else.
    >
    > The object is the slow so much as to make it unusable for bbc's new iplayer
    > service.

    -Notice that limiting the bandwidth through a web cache server is
    useful when relating to the applications that use the proxy only, This
    means if you do a general limit to the users for 10KB through the
    delay pools of squid for example. That would not affect the other
    protocols like ICMP, P2P and streaming audio, When dealing with these
    situations you will need QOS and not delay pools.
    -I may suggest two easy delay pools configurations you or may others
    use to quickly limit the bandwidth for every user inside the LAN,
    ###
    acl times time 15:00-23:00
    acl timess time 00:01-05:00
    ###
    delay_pools 2
    delay_class 2 2
    delay_parameters 2 -1/-1 150000/150000
    delay_access 2 allow all timess
    delay_class 1 2
    delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 15000/15000
    delay_access 1 allow all times
    ###
    That would limit the bandwidth for every user in the LAN to 150KB
    from the time of 1 Am to 5 Am, And to 15KB from 3 PM to 11 PM, Any
    body may change the time or bandwidth value.
    -Another more easier situation to do a one delay pool for every user
    through all times like,
    delay_pools 1
    delay_class 1 2
    delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 15000/15000
    delay_access 1 allow all
    ###
    That would limit the rate to 15KB for every user along the day.
    I wish that would be useful.
    Regards,

+ Reply to Thread