Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it! - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it! - Networking ; On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:59:46 -0800 (PST), cc wrote: > On Feb 28, 10:00Â*pm, bobbie wrote: >> On Feb 28, 10:08 am, Hadron wrote: >> >> >> >> >> >>> ray writes: >>> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:59:46 -0800 (PST), cc wrote:

    > On Feb 28, 10:00Â*pm, bobbie wrote:

    >>> See other reply. A lot of laptops have wireless built in. People want
    >>> Linux with their existing HW. COLA tells us it "works for me", But at
    >>> least you are honest.

    >>> As for "dimwit", again : most people dont even know what a chipset or
    >>> "wireless pci card" is. They just want it to work. The fact that hat
    >>> your HW works is immaterial to Joe Soap who after being ensured in COLA
    >>> that Linux works better than Windows trys to install Linux only to find
    >>> "no network found".

    >> No problems here with my WiFi. Just seems to works for some strange
    >> reason.
    >>
    >> Oh well.

    > Yup. Looks like it's not a problem at all. All of those poor people
    > with their wireless problems are obviously lying.

    Heck, Lenovo even admits that Wireless does not work with their Linux
    preloaded Thinkpad T61.

    Can you image that?

    Just picture the poor fool who buys one of these things, turns it on and is
    met with a read me that says:

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right away—a text
    document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    document’s first line was “Limitations, Workarounds and How To’s for
    SLED10.” We did not like the sound of that “limitations” element. After
    all, isn’t Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?

    The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Some of
    those features are:

    * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output "

    WTF?

    That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.

    Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    like Lenovo?

    Come on already this is pathetic.

    Cue Stage Left: The Linux advocates screaming "works for me"..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:59:46 -0800 (PST), cc wrote:

    >>> No problems here with my WiFi. Just seems to works for some strange
    >>> reason.
    >>>
    >>> Oh well.

    >> Yup. Looks like it's not a problem at all. All of those poor people
    >> with their wireless problems are obviously lying.

    > Heck, Lenovo even admits that Wireless does not work with their Linux
    > preloaded Thinkpad T61.
    >
    > Can you image that?
    >
    > Just picture the poor fool who buys one of these things, turns it on and is
    > met with a read me that says:
    >
    > http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/
    >
    > "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    > well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right away—a text
    > document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    > document’s first line was “Limitations, Workarounds and How To’s for
    > SLED10.” We did not like the sound of that “limitations” element. After
    > all, isn’t Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?
    >
    > The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Some of
    > those features are:
    >
    > * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    > * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    > * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    > * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    > * Wireless WAN Adapter
    > * ThinkVantage Button
    > * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output "
    >
    > WTF?
    >
    > That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >
    > Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    > like Lenovo?
    >
    > Come on already this is pathetic.
    >
    > Cue Stage Left: The Linux advocates screaming "works for me"..

    No. No. Jerry has the "least compatible of all" and it works
    "perfectly". Maybe he should call Lenovo? Maybe Peter could ask them
    "what features do not work"?

    Ridiculous.

    The only way to solve issues is to accept that there are issues.

  3. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 18:37:47 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Yup. Looks like it's not a problem at all. All of those poor people
    >>> with their wireless problems are obviously lying.

    >> Heck, Lenovo even admits that Wireless does not work with their Linux
    >> preloaded Thinkpad T61.
    >>
    >> Can you image that?
    >>
    >> Just picture the poor fool who buys one of these things, turns it on and is
    >> met with a read me that says:
    >>
    >> http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/
    >>
    >> "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    >> well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right away—a text
    >> document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    >> document’s first line was “Limitations, Workarounds and How To’s for
    >> SLED10.” We did not like the sound of that “limitations” element. After
    >> all, isn’t Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?
    >>
    >> The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Some of
    >> those features are:
    >>
    >> * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    >> * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    >> * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    >> * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    >> * Wireless WAN Adapter
    >> * ThinkVantage Button
    >> * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output "
    >>
    >> WTF?
    >>
    >> That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >>
    >> Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    >> like Lenovo?
    >>
    >> Come on already this is pathetic.
    >>
    >> Cue Stage Left: The Linux advocates screaming "works for me"..

    > No. No. Jerry has the "least compatible of all" and it works
    > "perfectly". Maybe he should call Lenovo? Maybe Peter could ask them
    > "what features do not work"?
    >
    > Ridiculous.
    >
    > The only way to solve issues is to accept that there are issues.

    What a great idea!!

    We can get Jerry Mcbirde to assist Lenovo in getting their wireless
    networking functioning and we can have Peter Kohomann, *video expert*
    assist Lenovo in getting the DVI outputs working.

    How about it Jerry and Peter?

    Are you guys up to the task?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > WTF?
    >
    > That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >
    > Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    > like Lenovo?
    >
    > Come on already this is pathetic.

    I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    problems on a Windows set up.

    Geoff Lane

  5. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:44:09 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> WTF?
    >>
    >> That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >>
    >> Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    >> like Lenovo?
    >>
    >> Come on already this is pathetic.

    > I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    > problems on a Windows set up.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    Right on cue........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    In article <11oljuht1h4kz$.1gpkdq24pypxp$.dlg@40tude.net>, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.

    Not really. It's like buying a car and finding out that it has no radio.

    How acceptable this is depends on one's needs and expectations. I consider
    wireless networking to be a dirtbag, unreliable, unsecure technology
    and do not use it. So for myself having inoperative wireless is just not
    a factor, and in fact if it did work I would disable it. (I currently have
    3 laptops. All run Linux. None have operational wireless.) For others the
    lack of wireless support may well be a deal-breaker.

    > Cue Stage Left: The Linux advocates screaming "works for me"..

    I for one am not "advocating" anything but using the tool that fits
    one's requirements. I don't need or want wireless, but if somebody else
    does and decides that Windows is the best way to get get that feature,
    it's no skin off my nose.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  7. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On 02 Mar 2008 22:37:16 GMT, Roger Blake wrote:

    > In article <11oljuht1h4kz$.1gpkdq24pypxp$.dlg@40tude.net>, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.

    > Not really. It's like buying a car and finding out that it has no radio.
    >
    > How acceptable this is depends on one's needs and expectations. I consider
    > wireless networking to be a dirtbag, unreliable, unsecure technology
    > and do not use it. So for myself having inoperative wireless is just not
    > a factor, and in fact if it did work I would disable it. (I currently have
    > 3 laptops. All run Linux. None have operational wireless.) For others the
    > lack of wireless support may well be a deal-breaker.
    >
    >> Cue Stage Left: The Linux advocates screaming "works for me"..

    > I for one am not "advocating" anything but using the tool that fits
    > one's requirements. I don't need or want wireless, but if somebody else
    > does and decides that Windows is the best way to get get that feature,
    > it's no skin off my nose.

    My points are conceptual and real world.
    It doesn't really matter what the features are or are not, it's more a
    matter of why on earth did Lenovo let this Linux loaded boat anchor loose
    and what are people, normal average people, going to think when they read
    that laundry list of items they paid for that don't work with Linux?

    They are going to be pissed off that's what is going to happen.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    In article <6gxe4ufgayw1.1ofom31qx7zkk.dlg@40tude.net>, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > It doesn't really matter what the features are or are not, it's more a
    > matter of why on earth did Lenovo let this Linux loaded boat anchor loose

    You would obviously have to ask Lenovo. Since there are wireless chipsets
    available that do work well with Linux, one does have to wonder what the
    Lenovo people were smoking when they put together that particular package.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  9. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On 03 Mar 2008 00:09:35 GMT, Roger Blake wrote:

    > In article <6gxe4ufgayw1.1ofom31qx7zkk.dlg@40tude.net>, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> It doesn't really matter what the features are or are not, it's more a
    >> matter of why on earth did Lenovo let this Linux loaded boat anchor loose

    > You would obviously have to ask Lenovo. Since there are wireless chipsets
    > available that do work well with Linux, one does have to wonder what the
    > Lenovo people were smoking when they put together that particular package.

    Absolutely!
    And that is my point.

    For the record my Thinkpad T42 works fine with PClinuxOS

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Geoff Lane writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> WTF?
    >>
    >> That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >>
    >> Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    >> like Lenovo?
    >>
    >> Come on already this is pathetic.

    > I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    > problems on a Windows set up.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no
    issues. Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    Sigh.

    See me post recently about a COLA maintenance project.

    "Works for me".

  11. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:59:17 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Geoff Lane writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> WTF?
    >>>
    >>> That's like buying a car and finding out that it has no motor.
    >>>
    >>> Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier
    >>> company like Lenovo?
    >>>
    >>> Come on already this is pathetic.

    >> I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    >> problems on a Windows set up.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane
    >>

    > Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no issues.
    > Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    By your reasoning, since Geoff and I have had problems with wireless
    under Windows, wireless doesn't work under Windows.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Rick writes:

    > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:59:17 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Geoff Lane writes:

    >>> I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    >>> problems on a Windows set up.
    >>>
    >>> Geoff Lane
    >>>

    >> Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no issues.
    >> Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    > By your reasoning, since Geoff and I have had problems with wireless
    > under Windows, wireless doesn't work under Windows.

    Huh? What are you talking about? My whole point is that problems
    exist. It is NOT me saying "everything works perfectly".

    It is not me claiming that "the least compatible chip set of all" works
    "perfectly".

  13. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:59:07 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no issues.
    >>> Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    >> By your reasoning, since Geoff and I have had problems with wireless
    >> under Windows, wireless doesn't work under Windows.

    > Huh? What are you talking about? My whole point is that problems exist.
    > It is NOT me saying "everything works perfectly".
    >
    > It is not me claiming that "the least compatible chip set of all" works
    > "perfectly".

    Beeg Deel... So what? Problems exist.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Rick writes:

    > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:59:07 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> By your reasoning, since Geoff and I have had problems with wireless
    >>> under Windows, wireless doesn't work under Windows.

    >> Huh? What are you talking about? My whole point is that problems exist.
    >> It is NOT me saying "everything works perfectly".
    >>
    >> It is not me claiming that "the least compatible chip set of all" works
    >> "perfectly".

    > Beeg Deel... So what? Problems exist.

    Rick, are you being purposely difficult?

    I am not making a fuss about there being issues. I know there are
    issues. Issues happen in SW.

    Unfortunately others are denying the issues. That is where the arguments
    are coming from.

  15. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:08:54 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Huh? What are you talking about? My whole point is that problems
    >>> exist. It is NOT me saying "everything works perfectly".
    >>>
    >>> It is not me claiming that "the least compatible chip set of all"
    >>> works "perfectly".

    >> Beeg Deel... So what? Problems exist.

    > Rick, are you being purposely difficult?
    >
    > I am not making a fuss about there being issues. I know there are
    > issues. Issues happen in SW.
    >
    > Unfortunately others are denying the issues. That is where the arguments
    > are coming from.

    There is a difference between saying "it works for me" and denying
    issues. I have lots of things "work for me" that were problems for
    others, and I have heard "worked for me" when I had problems.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    > The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Some of
    > those features are:

    > * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.

    I guess this is the hard-disk-head protection system that uses
    accelerometers to lift the heads in case of a fall.

    > * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    > * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    > * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux

    These all sound like software-addons that are usually distributed with
    Thinkpad machines. I do not care for them.

    > * Wireless WAN Adapter

    Do not confuse this with wifi: this is the cell-phone-like technology
    (EVDO or somesuch). That's a bummer if you bought a machine with such
    a WWAN card and you could use it (i.e. you have access to a provider to
    which you could connect, and you're willing to pay for the corresponding
    service). I don't know what percentage of the Rxx line are sold with
    such a card, but I'd expect it to be a minority.

    > * ThinkVantage Button

    Yes, one of the special buttons doesn't do anything rather than launch
    the aforementioned ThinkVantage applications.

    > * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output "

    Note that the machine does not have a DVI connector: you need an
    additional mini-dock to get access to the DVI output. But yes, this is
    a bummer as well.

    > WTF?

    Obviously, they didn't spend much time tailoring SUSE to their machine.

    > Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    > like Lenovo?

    In the GNU/Linux world, any movement from a large company i nsupport of
    Free Software is good. Even when it's just "lip service".

    Stefan

  17. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Stefan Monnier writes:

    >> The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Some of
    >> those features are:

    >> * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.

    >I guess this is the hard-disk-head protection system that uses
    >accelerometers to lift the heads in case of a fall.

    >> * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    >> * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    >> * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux

    >These all sound like software-addons that are usually distributed with
    >Thinkpad machines. I do not care for them.

    >> * Wireless WAN Adapter

    >Do not confuse this with wifi: this is the cell-phone-like technology
    >(EVDO or somesuch). That's a bummer if you bought a machine with such
    >a WWAN card and you could use it (i.e. you have access to a provider to
    >which you could connect, and you're willing to pay for the corresponding
    >service). I don't know what percentage of the Rxx line are sold with
    >such a card, but I'd expect it to be a minority.

    >> * ThinkVantage Button

    >Yes, one of the special buttons doesn't do anything rather than launch
    >the aforementioned ThinkVantage applications.

    >> * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output "

    >Note that the machine does not have a DVI connector: you need an
    >additional mini-dock to get access to the DVI output. But yes, this is
    >a bummer as well.

    >> WTF?

    >Obviously, they didn't spend much time tailoring SUSE to their machine.

    >> Only in the Linux world is this acceptable, and from a top tier company
    >> like Lenovo?

    How is this "in the Linux world"? This is a big company who has installed
    Linux and which has proprietary items which the company has not bothered to
    support. This says nothing about Linux but a lot about Lenovo. How do you
    think hardware gets supported under any OS? The hardware manufacturer gets
    off its ass and provides the support.

    >In the GNU/Linux world, any movement from a large company i nsupport of
    >Free Software is good. Even when it's just "lip service".

    > Stefan

  18. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Hadron wrote:

    >> I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    >> problems on a Windows set up.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane
    >>

    > Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no
    > issues. Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    Hmm, don't think my comment suggests that at all, what it did suggest is
    that Windows is certainly no better than Linux.

    Geoff Lane

  19. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Hadron wrote:

    > I am not making a fuss about there being issues. I know there are
    > issues. Issues happen in SW.
    >
    > Unfortunately others are denying the issues. That is where the arguments
    > are coming from.

    Stating that I have not had an issue is certainly NOT the same as saying
    there are no issues.

    Geoff Lane

  20. Re: Wireless networking and Linux - Forget about it!

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >>> I've had no problem with Wifi on an Ubuntu Linux box but I have had
    >>> problems on a Windows set up.
    >>>
    >>> Geoff Lane
    >>>

    >> Super. So that clears that one up. Geoff and Robbie had no
    >> issues. Therefore all the issues do not exist.

    > Hmm, don't think my comment suggests that at all, what it did suggest is
    > that Windows is certainly no better than Linux.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    YHBT. Hardon Quack is an incompetent wintroll, who pretends to use linux but
    promotes M$ at every opportunity. He has severe reading/comprehension problems,
    twists what people say to suit his agenda, & even makes things up.
    See: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ark-troll.html

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast