Determine maximum Throughput on Network - Networking

This is a discussion on Determine maximum Throughput on Network - Networking ; Hello All, I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I determine the maximum throughput at the other end?...

  1. Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    Hello All,

    I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

  2. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 08:42:10 -0800, Knockr wrote:

    > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    Since you are using Windows, estimate a maximum of 67% of the available
    bandwidth.

  3. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    On Mar 3, 1:49*am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 08:42:10 -0800, Knockr wrote:
    > > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    > > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    > Since you are using Windows, estimate a maximum of 67% of the available
    > bandwidth.

    Is there any specific APIs to determine the same?

  4. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:05:00 -0800, Knockr wrote:

    > On Mar 3, 1:49*am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 08:42:10 -0800, Knockr wrote:
    >> > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    >> > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    >> Since you are using Windows, estimate a maximum of 67% of the available
    >> bandwidth.

    > Is there any specific APIs to determine the same?

    Probably not. It's a Windows problem and nothing to do with Linux, UNIX,
    BSD or anything else.

  5. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    On Mar 2, 8:42 am, Knockr wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    Transfer the data and see how long it takes.

    DS

  6. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    Knockr a écrit :
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    If you were under Linux, you could give a try to the "bing" command that
    is exactly made for this.

    Or just try to copy a file over an unencripted connection (say http) and
    count time.

    Cheers,

    Nicolas - 06 20 71 62 34 - http://nicolas.bouthors.org/album/

  7. Re: Determine maximum Throughput on Network

    Knockr wrote:
    > I'd like to transfer some data from a client to server. How can I
    > determine the maximum throughput at the other end?

    Trasnfer data how exactly? Filesystem to filesystem? Memory to memory?

    rick jones
    http://www.netperf.org/