samba - Networking

This is a discussion on samba - Networking ; Hi all, I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get into docs and browse. this is my smb.conf for that directory: [docs] ...

  1. samba

    Hi all,

    I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from
    windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get
    into docs and browse.

    this is my smb.conf for that directory:

    [docs]
    path = /mnt/fix/
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    hide files = desktop.ini/recycled/System Volume Information/$vault$.avg/
    case sensitive = no
    strict locking = no
    msdfs proxy = no
    comment = fixed drive on giga
    fstype = vfat
    create mask = 0777

    and I have changed the windows registry to EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.

    what am I missing here?

    thanks
    Ivan

  2. Re: samba

    Ivan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from
    > windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot
    > get into docs and browse.
    >
    > this is my smb.conf for that directory:
    >
    > [docs]
    > path = /mnt/fix/
    > browseable = yes
    > public = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    > read only = no
    > writable = yes
    > hide files = desktop.ini/recycled/System Volume Information/$vault$.avg/
    > case sensitive = no
    > strict locking = no
    > msdfs proxy = no
    > comment = fixed drive on giga
    > fstype = vfat
    > create mask = 0777
    >
    > and I have changed the windows registry to EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.
    >
    > what am I missing here?
    >
    > thanks
    > Ivan

    oh yes... also I have added the "hosts allow" and "interfaces" IPs of my
    laptop

    thanks again
    ivan

  3. Re: samba

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:21:54 +0000, Ivan wrote:

    > and I have changed the windows registry to EnablePlainTextPassword = 1.

    Why...?

    I haven't seen this one for years... Have you forced Samba to use plain
    text passwords in [global]? Better yet: What's the content of your
    [global] section?

    Have you tried smbmount and smbclient from a Linux box? (Testing a Samba
    setup from a Wintendo is IMNSHO not my preferred source of headache).

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti

  4. Re: samba

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:21:54 +0000, Ivan wrote:

    > msdfs proxy = no

    How does this comply with man smb.conf?

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti

  5. Re: samba

    If this is just for use at home, you could use the

    username =

    and

    force user =

    configuration statements. Then XP can't screw with it. XP offers a windows
    for password, assuming you're "guest," but sambe automatically applies the
    password to whatever you've set the above as.

    Eric

    Eric Thompson
    eTc Computer Consultants
    duetc@etc-consult.com