samba - Networking

This is a discussion on samba - Networking ; Hi all, I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get into docs and browse....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: samba

  1. samba

    Hi all,

    I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from
    windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get
    into docs and browse.



  2. Re: samba

    Ivan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from
    > windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get
    > into docs and browse.


    On your linux box you have to create a user of the same name as the
    windows login. Then samba needs a user of the same name.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: samba

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Ivan wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable
    >> from windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but
    >> cannot get into docs and browse.

    >
    > On your linux box you have to create a user of the same name as the
    > windows login. Then samba needs a user of the same name.
    >
    > Geoff Lane


    I still can't get into my linux drive, I used the same name as windows and
    added the user to samba, the name now appears into my smbusers file.

    I have also disabled SELinux with no success...

    any ideas?

    thanks
    Ivan

  4. Re: samba

    Ivan wrote:

    > I still can't get into my linux drive, I used the same name as windows and
    > added the user to samba, the name now appears into my smbusers file.


    I know I initially got confused, trouble is once it is sorted you don't
    need to touch it again so forget exactly how it got set up.

    I used webmin ( http://www.webmin.com/download.html ) for configuration,
    it allows Unix users to be converted to samba users at the click of the
    mouse, made it more straightforward

    What I do remember is the Linux machine needed users of the same name as
    Windows and then samba needed the same as Linux.

    Geoff Lane

  5. Re: samba

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Ivan wrote:
    >
    >> I still can't get into my linux drive, I used the same name as windows
    >> and
    >> added the user to samba, the name now appears into my smbusers file.

    >
    > I know I initially got confused, trouble is once it is sorted you don't
    > need to touch it again so forget exactly how it got set up.
    >
    > I used webmin ( http://www.webmin.com/download.html ) for configuration,
    > it allows Unix users to be converted to samba users at the click of the
    > mouse, made it more straightforward
    >
    > What I do remember is the Linux machine needed users of the same name as
    > Windows and then samba needed the same as Linux.
    >
    > Geoff Lane


    It doesn't need users to have the same name. The problem is that XP Home
    edition is deliberately set up to make networking difficult.

    The way to log in using a username and password is to select the "Map
    Network Drive" tab of the Network Neighbourhood window. Then you select
    a drive letter (any) and you can enter the server name and share name
    together with an arbitrary username and password which XP offers to
    remember.

    Robert

  6. Re: samba

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > It doesn't need users to have the same name. The problem is that XP Home
    > edition is deliberately set up to make networking difficult.
    >
    > The way to log in using a username and password is to select the "Map
    > Network Drive" tab of the Network Neighbourhood window. Then you select
    > a drive letter (any) and you can enter the server name and share name
    > together with an arbitrary username and password which XP offers to
    > remember.


    That's interesting, although mine is working OK I do like a fiddle.

    Geoff Lane

  7. Re: samba

    On Mar 1, 8:17 am, Ivan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to get a linux (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) drive visible/writable from
    > windows xp (home) laptop, but I get to enter the host (giga) but cannot get
    > into docs and browse.


    Could you describe the actual problem in some kind of detail. Where
    are you entering the host? What happens? Do you get an error? Does it
    hang? Give us something to go on.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread