configuring DNS on Solaris 10 - Networking

This is a discussion on configuring DNS on Solaris 10 - Networking ; Hi, I understand that, this group is for Linux.But,there might be someone who can help me. I am new to Solaris(migrating from Windows to Solaris).I have installed Solaris 10 on my PC. I have internet connection of VSNL(India) at my ...

  1. configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    Hi,
    I understand that, this group is for Linux.But,there might be someone
    who can help me.

    I am new to Solaris(migrating from Windows to Solaris).I have
    installed Solaris 10 on my PC.
    I have internet connection of VSNL(India) at my home.They have
    provided me a router.
    I have done full installation.Also all drivers necessary for
    networking are installed properly.

    I get dynamic IP address while connecting to internet.

    I want to configure DNS. But, I don't know how to configure it.

    My problem is ,I don't know what should I enter during configuration
    of DNS.

    For Name Service I selected DNS. On next screen it asked me domain
    name.
    What should be the domain name?Is it anything or my ISP's name or any
    name derived from it?

    On next screen it asks for Server address.Actually there is space for
    three addresses.
    What should I enter over there? Will my own IP address do?or my
    router's IP address or some else?

    On next screen DNS search list is to be provided.What is it?
    What should I write over there exactly?

    Please help me!

    Thanking You!

    Prashant Poman.

  2. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 05:48:55 -0800, Pappu wrote:

    Followup: set to alt.solaris.x86

    > I understand that, this group is for Linux.But,there might be someone
    > who can help me.

    Does that mean that the search engine of that spam sewer you posted from
    failed to find two Solaris newsgroups?

    > I get dynamic IP address while connecting to internet.

    That applies to your router, not your PC.

    > I want to configure DNS. But, I don't know how to configure it.

    Did your ISP fail to provide you with their DNS server addresses?
    Perhaps not, but you could easily have found them even with that POS
    Windows you used to post your article.

    $ nslookup
    > 121.246.34.244

    Server: 192.168.0.8
    Address: 192.168.0.8#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    244.34.246.121.in-addr.arpa name = 121.246.34.244.dynamic-
    pune.vsnl.net.in.

    246.121.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns3.vsnl.com.
    246.121.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns.vsnl.net.in.
    ns3.vsnl.com internet address = 203.197.12.42
    dns.vsnl.net.in internet address = 202.54.1.30

    > My problem is ,I don't know what should I enter during configuration of
    > DNS.

    Those last two IP addresses are the ones you use unless your ISP gave you
    different addresses. You can also examine the DNS addresses which are
    recorded in your router's memory.

    > For Name Service I selected DNS. On next screen it asked me domain name.
    > What should be the domain name?Is it anything or my ISP's name or any
    > name derived from it?

    You are not going to be able to do that. Select NONE.

    > On next screen it asks for Server address.Actually there is space for
    > three addresses.
    > What should I enter over there? Will my own IP address do?or my router's
    > IP address or some else?

    Put nothing there for now.

    > On next screen DNS search list is to be provided.What is it? What should
    > I write over there exactly?

    Nothing.

    After you have booted the system and logged in, edit /etc/resolv.conf

    domain vsnl.net.in
    nameserver 203.197.12.42
    nameserver 202.54.1.30

    Now, copy /etc/nsswitch.dns to /etc/nsswitch.conf

    Presumably you have been able to set the IP address and defaultrouter for
    your system. If not, ask again - in the proper newsgroup.

    If all the above fails for you, then read the man page for sys-unconfig
    first, then execute sys-unconfig and do it all over again.

  3. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    Hello,

    Dave Uhring a écrit :

    > $ nslookup
    > > 121.246.34.244

    > Server: 192.168.0.8
    > Address: 192.168.0.8#53
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > 244.34.246.121.in-addr.arpa name = 121.246.34.244.dynamic-
    > pune.vsnl.net.in.
    >
    > Authoritative answers can be found from:
    > 246.121.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns3.vsnl.com.
    > 246.121.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns.vsnl.net.in.
    > ns3.vsnl.com internet address = 203.197.12.42
    > dns.vsnl.net.in internet address = 202.54.1.30
    >
    >>My problem is ,I don't know what should I enter during configuration of
    >>DNS.

    > Those last two IP addresses are the ones you use unless your ISP gave you
    > different addresses.

    Huh ? These are the authoritative nameservers for the reverse DNS zone
    of the OP's IP address. This is different from what the OP asks for,
    i.e. recursive nameservers used to resolve any domain.

  4. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:28:55 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    > Dave Uhring a écrit :

    >> Those last two IP addresses are the ones you use unless your ISP gave you
    >> different addresses.

    > Huh ? These are the authoritative nameservers for the reverse DNS zone
    > of the OP's IP address. This is different from what the OP asks for,
    > i.e. recursive nameservers used to resolve any domain.

    Why do you apparently believe that those two are not recursive when
    queried by hosts within their own network?

  5. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    Dave Uhring a écrit :
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:28:55 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    >
    >>Dave Uhring a écrit :

    >>>Those last two IP addresses are the ones you use unless your ISP gave you
    >>>different addresses.

    >>Huh ? These are the authoritative nameservers for the reverse DNS zone
    >>of the OP's IP address. This is different from what the OP asks for,
    >>i.e. recursive nameservers used to resolve any domain.

    > Why do you apparently believe that those two are not recursive when
    > queried by hosts within their own network?

    I can return the question : why do you apparently believe that those two
    are recursive when queried by hosts within their own network ?

    They just may... or not. Or only some of them may and others not. It is
    the ISP's choice, there is no requirement. They are worth a try, but do
    not expect 100% success rate.

  6. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:10:04 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > Dave Uhring a écrit :

    >>>Huh ? These are the authoritative nameservers for the reverse DNS zone
    >>>of the OP's IP address. This is different from what the OP asks for,
    >>>i.e. recursive nameservers used to resolve any domain.

    >> Why do you apparently believe that those two are not recursive when
    >> queried by hosts within their own network?

    > I can return the question : why do you apparently believe that those two
    > are recursive when queried by hosts within their own network ?
    >
    > They just may... or not. Or only some of them may and others not. It is
    > the ISP's choice, there is no requirement. They are worth a try, but do
    > not expect 100% success rate.

    Now read the last phrase of my sentence which you quoted.

  7. Re: configuring DNS on Solaris 10

    Dave Uhring a écrit :

    > Now read the last phrase of my sentence which you quoted.

    Can't you just get to the point ?

+ Reply to Thread