lp (lpd) to cups migration - Networking

This is a discussion on lp (lpd) to cups migration - Networking ; Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ? I have a TRU64 environment going to RedHat and need to bring across several printers. I'm researching but found little joy so far. Problem is ...

  1. lp (lpd) to cups migration

    Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ?

    I have a TRU64 environment going to RedHat and need to bring across
    several printers. I'm researching but found little joy so far.
    Problem is I don't have a source test system and I don't want to risk
    breaking the current production system as it would likely turn out to
    be a costly edumakateion.

  2. Re: lp (lpd) to cups migration

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:52:48 -0800, Randell_D wrote:

    > Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ?

    apt-get install cupsys-bsd

    In debian this little package allows you to use lp/lpr to send the print
    data to / through cups.

  3. Re: lp (lpd) to cups migration

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:52:48 -0800 (PST), Randell_D wrote:
    > Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ?
    >
    > I have a TRU64 environment going to RedHat and need to bring across
    > several printers. I'm researching but found little joy so far.
    > Problem is I don't have a source test system and I don't want to risk
    > breaking the current production system as it would likely turn out to
    > be a costly edumakateion.

    Hey, free up about 10 gig and install Fedora on that Windoze box you
    are posting from and play with cups.

  4. Re: lp (lpd) to cups migration

    On Feb 28, 2:24 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:52:48 -0800 (PST), Randell_D wrote:
    > > Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ?

    > > I have a TRU64 environment going to RedHat and need to bring across
    > > several printers. I'm researching but found little joy so far.
    > > Problem is I don't have a source test system and I don't want to risk
    > > breaking the current production system as it would likely turn out to
    > > be a costly edumakateion.

    > Hey, free up about 10 gig and install Fedora on that Windoze box you
    > are posting from and play with cups.

    I appreciate the two replies I got but something got misunderstood - I
    am migrating from a non cups to a cups environment (like the subject
    of the post had mentioned) and wanted some direction on anyone who had
    done something similar.

    I managed to do it and it was easy enough tho'

    Thanks all!

  5. Re: lp (lpd) to cups migration

    Randell_D writes:

    >On Feb 28, 2:24 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:52:48 -0800 (PST), Randell_D wrote:
    >> > Anyone got hints/tips on migrating from lp / lpr / lpd to a cups ?

    >> > I have a TRU64 environment going to RedHat and need to bring across
    >> > several printers. I'm researching but found little joy so far.
    >> > Problem is I don't have a source test system and I don't want to risk
    >> > breaking the current production system as it would likely turn out to
    >> > be a costly edumakateion.

    >> Hey, free up about 10 gig and install Fedora on that Windoze box you
    >> are posting from and play with cups.

    >I appreciate the two replies I got but something got misunderstood - I
    >am migrating from a non cups to a cups environment (like the subject
    >of the post had mentioned) and wanted some direction on anyone who had
    >done something similar.

    >I managed to do it and it was easy enough tho'

    Yes, until you try to do something a bit tricky-- like preventing your
    printer from being advertised to the whole world. The documentation leaves
    a lot to be desired unfortunately and I have often wished I had lpd back--
    while arcane, it was relatively simple to understand.
    But I have been running cups successfully for 5 years, so it cannot be that
    hard.

    >Thanks all!

+ Reply to Thread