vsftpd corrupt writes to CIFS mounts. *solved* - Networking

This is a discussion on vsftpd corrupt writes to CIFS mounts. *solved* - Networking ; I have been using vsftpd to write to some CIFS filesystems mounted under /var/ftp but consistently found that inbound files were corrupted by many kilobytes of zero values starting from byte position 1. The amount of zero values varied from ...

  1. vsftpd corrupt writes to CIFS mounts. *solved*

    I have been using vsftpd to write to some CIFS filesystems mounted
    under /var/ftp but consistently found that inbound files were
    corrupted by many kilobytes of zero values starting from byte position
    1. The amount of zero values varied from between locations
    0x000001:0x00a000 and 0x000001:0x00f000 (and possibly further). but
    position for position, the remainder of the file matched the original;
    i.e. the first portion of the file was not actually displaced, but
    simply replaced by zero values.

    The general consensus on the web/usenet (etc) is to turn on the
    use_sendfile=NO option in vsftpd.conf, but this would only save the
    first write after any restart of the vsftpd service. The actual
    solution came from mounting the directories with the mount.cifs option
    "nobrl" which configures the kernel such that it does not send byte
    range lock requests to the server. Or something.

    use_sendfile=NO did however have a use in preventing "426 Failure
    writing network stream." on ftp reads.

    The entire mount commands were:

    mount -t cifs -o credentials=/etc/samba/cifs_credentials -o rw -o
    nobrl //Win2003SR2/ftp$/inbound /var/ftp/inbound
    mount -t cifs -o credentials=/etc/samba/cifs_credentials -o rw -o
    nobrl //Win2003SR2/ftp$/outbound /var/ftp/outbound

    packages in use (not necessarily relevant):

    samba-client-3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4
    samba-common-3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4
    kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5
    vsftpd-2.0.5-10.el5

    Hope this helps.

  2. Re: vsftpd corrupt writes to CIFS mounts. *solved*

    Thanks for the above - I experienced some similar problems years ago
    and never resolved it - If I remember correctly I could ftp every file
    except a gif file - the gif's were always corrupted, everything else
    (from pdf, word, png, jpg, html and windoze exe files) all arrived
    fine. I only found one other person on the 'net who had a similar
    problem but we couldn't find a solution.

    I would have liked to have the same situation to try your solution...
    the environment is dead now though...

+ Reply to Thread