Verizon FiOS: No SMTP Service - Networking

This is a discussion on Verizon FiOS: No SMTP Service - Networking ; My neighbor is letting me connect to his Verizon FiOS wireless router while he's away. Everything works OK, except outgoing mail. Attempts to connect to port 25 of 'relay.verizon.net', which is the MX for verizon.net, causes the mail server to ...

  1. Verizon FiOS: No SMTP Service

    My neighbor is letting me connect to his Verizon FiOS wireless router while
    he's away. Everything works OK, except outgoing mail.

    Attempts to connect to port 25 of 'relay.verizon.net', which is the MX for
    verizon.net, causes the mail server to close the connection with the
    message:

    "571 Email from 71.175.54.72 is currently blocked by Verizon Online's
    anti-spam system. The email sender or Email Service Provider may visit
    http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block."

    That address is within Verizon Internet Services own CIDR block:
    71.160.0.0/11, so why is it blocked? It belongs to a Verizon customer.

    What's going on? Does the router assign a different IP address to each user
    on the local network? That doesn't seem right.

    Or am I all wet about that Verizon MX server?

    HaroldWho