Detect and switch ethernet interfaces - Networking

This is a discussion on Detect and switch ethernet interfaces - Networking ; Hi Everyone, I am trying to configure my network interfaces so that my linux box is always connected to the network. On eth0, I have a direct connection to the internet. Similarly I can connect to the Internet using dial ...

  1. Detect and switch ethernet interfaces

    Hi Everyone,

    I am trying to configure my network interfaces so that my linux box is
    always connected to the network.

    On eth0, I have a direct connection to the internet. Similarly I can
    connect to the Internet using dial up (on ppp0).

    The situation is such that the ppp0 is the default method of
    connecting to the internet, and the ethernet is a backup option

    How do I configure the routing information so that, if I the
    connection on the dial up is dropped, the network change is detected
    and eth0 is used to connect.

    Regards

    Cartque

  2. Re: Detect and switch ethernet interfaces

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:09:31 -0800 (PST), Cartque wrote:

    > How do I configure the routing information so that, if I the
    > connection on the dial up is dropped, the network change is detected
    > and eth0 is used to connect.

    Put a higher metric on the ethernet.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| http://www.haucks.org/

  3. Re: Detect and switch ethernet interfaces

    On Feb 27, 6:11*pm, Bob Hauck
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:09:31 -0800 (PST), Cartque wrote:
    > > How do I configure the routing information so that, if I the
    > > connection on the dial up is dropped, the network change is detected
    > > and eth0 is used to connect.

    > Put a higher metric on the ethernet.
    >
    > --
    > *-| Bob Hauck
    > *-|http://www.haucks.org/

    Thanks Bob.

    I was able to put a higher metric using the "route" utility. The
    ipconfig did not support the metric.
    Added ifplugd from http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/ to
    down/up the interface and it works great now.

    Regards,
    Cartque

+ Reply to Thread