linux failover (redundant internet/dial backup) - Networking

This is a discussion on linux failover (redundant internet/dial backup) - Networking ; I have question about Linux routing I guess. I want to create a backup connection to the internet. I will have a DSL line to the internet and a dialup modem for backup. What I want to do is put ...

  1. linux failover (redundant internet/dial backup)

    I have question about Linux routing I guess. I want to create a
    backup connection to the internet. I will have a DSL line to the
    internet and a dialup modem for backup. What I want to do is put a
    higher metric on the dial up line. How will it know to switch over to
    the dial up line when the Ethernet line is down. Which distribution
    will work for this, I will have two Ethernet cards and a modems. Do I
    need a default route for my main internet provider. Thanks Mike D

  2. Re: linux failover (redundant internet/dial backup)

    On Feb 26, 5:31 am, mdiac...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have question about Linux routing I guess. I want to create a
    > backup connection to the internet. I will have a DSL line to the
    > internet and a dialup modem for backup. What I want to do is put a
    > higher metric on the dial up line. How will it know to switch over to
    > the dial up line when the Ethernet line is down. Which distribution
    > will work for this, I will have two Ethernet cards and a modems. Do I
    > need a default route for my main internet provider. Thanks Mike D

    The usual way this is handled is to have two default routes. The
    higher-priority one uses your DSL and the lower-priority one uses your
    dialup link. If the DSL route goes away (you will need to make sure
    the route goes away if the link is inoperative), packets will take the
    lower-priority route, which will trigger your dialup link to dial.

    This is a somewhat tricky thing to set up. Google is your friend. Here
    are the things you need to do:

    1) Arrange things so that if your DSL link is not working, the default
    route goes away. A route will go away automatically if its gateway is
    not reachable.

    2) Create a lower-priority default route that will cause your dialup
    to auto-dial.

    3) Test everything.

    DS

  3. Re: linux failover (redundant internet/dial backup)

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:31:21 -0800, mdiaczyk wrote:

    > I have question about Linux routing I guess. I want to create a backup
    > connection to the internet. I will have a DSL line to the internet and
    > a dialup modem for backup. What I want to do is put a higher metric on
    > the dial up line. How will it know to switch over to the dial up line
    > when the Ethernet line is down. Which distribution will work for this,
    > I will have two Ethernet cards and a modems. Do I need a default route
    > for my main internet provider. Thanks Mike D

    Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control guide should have what you
    need. There is extensive info about this in their mailing list archive
    as well.

    http://lartc.org

+ Reply to Thread