Re: Can I run a W3.1 apps. via VNC ? - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: Can I run a W3.1 apps. via VNC ? - Networking ; On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:10:28 -0600, problems wrote: > > The documentation for [various of] VNC reminds me of lilo: an > > unstructured set of facts. > [...] ERACC wrote: > Uhm, it appears to me by reading ...

  1. Re: Can I run a W3.1 apps. via VNC ?

    ERACC wrote:
    > Uhm, it appears to me by reading your subject line you want to run
    > Microsoft Windows 3.1 applications using a virtual network connection
    > (VNC). Is this correct?

    Yes, or more exactly I want to run a W3.1 app. & I'm asking if
    VNC is viable, since WINE seems a monster.

    > Your message appears to be a rant about
    > improper and/or insufficient information and does not really explain
    > what you are attempting to do.

    The rant is free extra-wisdom, altho' smaller than your 'signature'.

    Walter Mautner
    } You may dig for some old pcanywhere version that runs on dialup
    } (inbound) on a win3.11 box.

    AFAIK 'pcanywhere' is a DOS app. -- a bit like minicom ?
    I've got a copy, which I've never run.

    I want to run the app : Forte-Agent; under linux.
    BTW I've never been able to log-in with the win3.11
    trumpet-winsock since the ISP told me [that M$ told them]
    that I must buy w95, and just out of interest I'd try pcanywhere,
    except I'm nearly sure it's not ppp-capable ?

    Thanks,

    == Chris Glur

  2. Re: Can I run a W3.1 apps. via VNC ?

    problems@gmail wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:10:28 -0600, problems wrote:
    >>> The documentation for [various of] VNC reminds me of lilo: an
    >>> unstructured set of facts.

    >> [...]

    > ERACC wrote:
    >> Uhm, it appears to me by reading your subject line you want to run
    >> Microsoft Windows 3.1 applications using a virtual network connection
    >> (VNC). Is this correct?

    > Yes, or more exactly I want to run a W3.1 app. & I'm asking if
    > VNC is viable, since WINE seems a monster.

    Running a single W3.1 app under wine is going to be a lot easier than
    running a separate ancient windows PC and trying to view it over VNC.
    If you really don't want to use wine, try running a virtual PC with
    Win3.1 on it - you can even use DosBOX.

    > AFAIK 'pcanywhere' is a DOS app. -- a bit like minicom ?
    > I've got a copy, which I've never run.

    AFAIR, pcanywhere had a windows version too.

+ Reply to Thread