portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server - Networking

This is a discussion on portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server - Networking ; Hello, I run a jabber server but my daughter who is at university is behind an anal firewall that blocks outward, just about everything is blocked except 80, msn ports and https (probably). Now, as jabber clients send through any ...

  1. portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server

    Hello, I run a jabber server but my daughter who is at university is
    behind an anal firewall that blocks outward, just about everything
    is blocked except 80, msn ports and https (probably).

    Now, as jabber clients send through any port that is 1024+ (my server
    listens on 5222 and there are no firewall issues here) my daughters client
    is blocked from sending to my server.

    How can I force her laptop to send all jabber comms on one port which i
    can then arrange to be open with the university firewall authorities
    permission? They wont be opening all 1024+ ports. Just the one I nominate
    for jabber.

    Thanks.
    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  2. Re: portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:59:08 +0000, Dead Paul wrote:

    > They wont be opening all 1024+ ports. Just the one I nominate for
    > jabber.

    Is their help really likely?

    What about a VPN solution instead? This shrinks the problem
    considerably. And you can have your VPN listening on a port that the
    firewall admins already permit through.

    If you don't have something else to use, there's always <http://tldp.org/
    HOWTO/ppp-ssh/index.html>.

    - Andrew

  3. Re: portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server

    Dead Paul wrote:
    > Hello, I run a jabber server but my daughter who is at university is
    > behind an anal firewall that blocks outward, just about everything
    > is blocked except 80, msn ports and https (probably).
    >
    > Now, as jabber clients send through any port that is 1024+ (my server
    > listens on 5222 and there are no firewall issues here) my daughters client
    > is blocked from sending to my server.
    >
    > How can I force her laptop to send all jabber comms on one port which i
    > can then arrange to be open with the university firewall authorities
    > permission? They wont be opening all 1024+ ports. Just the one I nominate
    > for jabber.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Why not set your jabber server to listen on the msn port?

    --
    Andy Ruddock
    ------------

  4. Re: portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:44:15 +0100, Andy Ruddock wrote:

    > Dead Paul wrote:
    >> Hello, I run a jabber server but my daughter who is at university is
    >> behind an anal firewall that blocks outward, just about everything is
    >> blocked except 80, msn ports and https (probably).
    >>
    >> Now, as jabber clients send through any port that is 1024+ (my server
    >> listens on 5222 and there are no firewall issues here) my daughters
    >> client is blocked from sending to my server.
    >>
    >> How can I force her laptop to send all jabber comms on one port which i
    >> can then arrange to be open with the university firewall authorities
    >> permission? They wont be opening all 1024+ ports. Just the one I
    >> nominate for jabber.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Why not set your jabber server to listen on the msn port?

    That's 1863 (or something like if i remember correctly) but anyway the
    client sends on another "random" port, the server listens on 5222 (or
    1863 for msn). What the uni does is block these random ports. If i could
    get the client to use a fixed known outbound port then the uni say they
    can let it thru. I suppose I could mess about with netcat or ssh but it's
    not what I want really. I just want to point Gajim or psi at a local
    server which will itself output on a specific local port at port 5222 on
    the distal jabber server.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  5. Re: portblocked - cannot connect to jabber server

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:10:52 +0000, Andrew Gideon wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:59:08 +0000, Dead Paul wrote:
    >
    >> They wont be opening all 1024+ ports. Just the one I nominate for
    >> jabber.

    > Is their help really likely?
    >
    > What about a VPN solution instead? This shrinks the problem considerably.
    > And you can have your VPN listening on a port that the firewall admins
    > already permit through.

    Yes I might have to do it that way. I was hoping there might be a jabber
    specific solution like you can get for IRC but in this case the proxy runs
    on the local machine as all it need do is redirect to an allowed exit port.
    Thanks anyway.

    --

+ Reply to Thread