Bulletproofing a Linux server - Networking

This is a discussion on Bulletproofing a Linux server - Networking ; I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great uptime. It ...

  1. Bulletproofing a Linux server

    I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    uptime.

    It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    during this time, when I added extra memory to it.

    The server is still around, but its drives are not mirrored and in
    fact paired with a big partition that spans them both. (dumb idea) So
    I am in a precarious position. Plus it is too slow.

    The new server, I want to last 5 years comfortably.

    To that end, I have or plan on the following features.

    1. Three pairs of mirrored drives managed by a 3ware controller (disk
    reliability)

    2. Active CPU Cooling (with fans)

    3. Use cpufreqd to reduce CPU speed if overheats anyway despite active
    cooling

    4. Use smartmontools to monitor hard drives

    5. Get a little too much on the performance side: 15k RPM drives for
    things that matter, and 16 GB of RAM. (RAM being so cheap today, this
    is a no brainer, extra 8 GB of registered 667 MHZ memory cost just
    $287)

    6. Get an IPMI card, so that even if the computer crashes, goes down,
    cannot boot etc, I can recover remotely.

    Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

  2. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    > I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    > "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    > survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    > uptime.
    >
    > It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    > often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    > during this time, when I added extra memory to it.
    >
    > The server is still around, but its drives are not mirrored and in
    > fact paired with a big partition that spans them both. (dumb idea) So
    > I am in a precarious position. Plus it is too slow.
    >
    > The new server, I want to last 5 years comfortably.
    >
    > To that end, I have or plan on the following features.
    >
    > 1. Three pairs of mirrored drives managed by a 3ware controller (disk
    > reliability)
    >
    > 2. Active CPU Cooling (with fans)
    >
    > 3. Use cpufreqd to reduce CPU speed if overheats anyway despite active
    > cooling
    >
    > 4. Use smartmontools to monitor hard drives
    >
    > 5. Get a little too much on the performance side: 15k RPM drives for
    > things that matter, and 16 GB of RAM. (RAM being so cheap today, this
    > is a no brainer, extra 8 GB of registered 667 MHZ memory cost just
    > $287)
    >
    > 6. Get an IPMI card, so that even if the computer crashes, goes down,
    > cannot boot etc, I can recover remotely.
    >
    > Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

    Backup, especially snapshot capable backup, and robust status monitoring with
    thought about when and what to report come to mind.

  3. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    On 2008-02-25, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    >> I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    >> "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    >> survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    >> uptime.
    >>
    >> It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    >> often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    >> during this time, when I added extra memory to it.
    >>
    >> The server is still around, but its drives are not mirrored and in
    >> fact paired with a big partition that spans them both. (dumb idea) So
    >> I am in a precarious position. Plus it is too slow.
    >>
    >> The new server, I want to last 5 years comfortably.
    >>
    >> To that end, I have or plan on the following features.
    >>
    >> 1. Three pairs of mirrored drives managed by a 3ware controller (disk
    >> reliability)
    >>
    >> 2. Active CPU Cooling (with fans)
    >>
    >> 3. Use cpufreqd to reduce CPU speed if overheats anyway despite active
    >> cooling
    >>
    >> 4. Use smartmontools to monitor hard drives
    >>
    >> 5. Get a little too much on the performance side: 15k RPM drives for
    >> things that matter, and 16 GB of RAM. (RAM being so cheap today, this
    >> is a no brainer, extra 8 GB of registered 667 MHZ memory cost just
    >> $287)
    >>
    >> 6. Get an IPMI card, so that even if the computer crashes, goes down,
    >> cannot boot etc, I can recover remotely.
    >>
    >> Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

    > Backup, especially snapshot capable backup, and robust status monitoring with
    > thought about when and what to report come to mind.

    I agree on backups. My source code and most OS config files that I
    modify, lives in CVS. So it is backed up.

    I bought a mirrored 500 GB USB drive to use for file based backups.

    I did some scripting on status monitoring, but not enough. What I have
    does, however, detect when my apache is down or not responsive (due to
    bugs in my mod_perl scripts) and restarts it.

  4. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    > I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    > "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    > survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    > uptime.
    >
    > It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    > often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    > during this time, when I added extra memory to it.
    >
    > The server is still around, but its drives are not mirrored and in
    > fact paired with a big partition that spans them both. (dumb idea) So
    > I am in a precarious position. Plus it is too slow.
    >
    > The new server, I want to last 5 years comfortably.
    >
    > To that end, I have or plan on the following features.
    >
    > 1. Three pairs of mirrored drives managed by a 3ware controller (disk
    > reliability)
    >
    > 2. Active CPU Cooling (with fans)
    >
    > 3. Use cpufreqd to reduce CPU speed if overheats anyway despite active
    > cooling
    >
    > 4. Use smartmontools to monitor hard drives
    >
    > 5. Get a little too much on the performance side: 15k RPM drives for
    > things that matter, and 16 GB of RAM. (RAM being so cheap today, this
    > is a no brainer, extra 8 GB of registered 667 MHZ memory cost just
    > $287)
    >
    > 6. Get an IPMI card, so that even if the computer crashes, goes down,
    > cannot boot etc, I can recover remotely.
    >
    > Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

    three important items:
    (1) rendundant ( prefereably hot-swap ) power supplies
    (2) cheapo lowend RAM is NOT ECC - plus the more RAM you have
    the more likely to have hardware problem. Unless you need
    16GB RAM, scale it back to what you need
    (3) 15kRPM drives are _not_ the choice for reliability

    more is not necessarily better

    Stan

    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  5. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:13:24 -0600, Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    > I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    > "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    > survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    > uptime.

    maybe add an Intrusion Detection System

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/aide
    http://la-samhna.de/samhain/s_documentation.html

  6. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    On 2008-02-25, stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    >> I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    >> "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    >> survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    >> uptime.
    >>
    >> It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    >> often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    >> during this time, when I added extra memory to it.
    >>
    >> The server is still around, but its drives are not mirrored and in
    >> fact paired with a big partition that spans them both. (dumb idea) So
    >> I am in a precarious position. Plus it is too slow.
    >>
    >> The new server, I want to last 5 years comfortably.
    >>
    >> To that end, I have or plan on the following features.
    >>
    >> 1. Three pairs of mirrored drives managed by a 3ware controller (disk
    >> reliability)
    >>
    >> 2. Active CPU Cooling (with fans)
    >>
    >> 3. Use cpufreqd to reduce CPU speed if overheats anyway despite active
    >> cooling
    >>
    >> 4. Use smartmontools to monitor hard drives
    >>
    >> 5. Get a little too much on the performance side: 15k RPM drives for
    >> things that matter, and 16 GB of RAM. (RAM being so cheap today, this
    >> is a no brainer, extra 8 GB of registered 667 MHZ memory cost just
    >> $287)
    >>
    >> 6. Get an IPMI card, so that even if the computer crashes, goes down,
    >> cannot boot etc, I can recover remotely.
    >>
    >> Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?
    >>

    > three important items:
    > (1) rendundant ( prefereably hot-swap ) power supplies

    My server has this.

    > (2) cheapo lowend RAM is NOT ECC - plus the more RAM you have
    > the more likely to have hardware problem. Unless you need
    > 16GB RAM, scale it back to what you need

    My extra RAM that I bought this morning is this:

    Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    Server Memory - Retail

    The 8 GB of memory that was shipped to me with the server, is of the
    same kind exactly (667 MHz DDR2 Registered ECC).

    > (3) 15kRPM drives are _not_ the choice for reliability
    >
    > more is not necessarily better

    I figure, that with mirroring, which I have, reliability of hard
    drives is not as big of an issue.

    The reason why I have three pairs is this. The first pair would host
    root and swap. The second pair would host the websites that I want to
    be fast regardless of what other things are being done. The third pair
    would hold "everything else", all my other sites and projects under
    /home and one database which is big, but is OK to be slow.

    I do not want to cause reindexing, or other slow accesses, to the
    aforementioned database or doing other stuff under /home, like "find",
    to affect the websites and databases designated as "fast".

    The first pair is two 74 GB 15k RPM SAS drives, the second pair is two
    146GB 15k RPM SAS drives, and the third pair is a pair of 500 GB SATA
    drives.

  7. Re: Bulletproofing a Server

    Ignoramus24141 burped up warm pablum in
    news4SdnY3WqNSpal_anZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@giganews.com:

    > I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    > "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    > survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    > uptime.

    > It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    > often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    > during this time, when I added extra memory to it.

    You will also need "bulletproof" software to handle all that hardware. I recommend Windows 98
    for its superb hardware support and crash-free reliability.

    --
    Tris "Barking Mad" Orendorff
    [ Anyone naming their child should spend a few minutes checking rhyming slang and dodgy

  8. Re: Bulletproofing a Server

    On 2008-02-26, Tris Orendorff wrote:
    > Ignoramus24141 burped up warm pablum in
    > news4SdnY3WqNSpal_anZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@giganews.com:
    >
    >> I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    >> "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    >> survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    >> uptime.

    >> It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    >> often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    >> during this time, when I added extra memory to it.

    > You will also need "bulletproof" software to handle all that hardware. I recommend Windows 98
    > for its superb hardware support and crash-free reliability.

    Why did not you suggest Windows ME?

  9. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    Ignoramus24141 wrote:

    > Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

    There is strength in numbers - Consider a mirror site updated
    by your favorite mirroring software. For your purposes it could
    be a daily sync cold mirror and work just fine. If it really hist
    the fan a DNS change can point to the mirror while you work
    on the primary.

  10. Re: Bulletproofing a Linux server

    On 2008-02-27, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > Ignoramus24141 wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there something that I missed? Any good thoughts?

    > There is strength in numbers - Consider a mirror site updated
    > by your favorite mirroring software. For your purposes it could
    > be a daily sync cold mirror and work just fine. If it really hist
    > the fan a DNS change can point to the mirror while you work
    > on the primary.

    Doug, thanks. In fact, I do have a backup server at home, not 100%
    ready to go at any moment, but I would say 99%. The STUMP stuff is
    also saved daily. Still, the issue of having a backup server at home
    is that even though I am on a very good cable plan (10/2 MBPS), it is
    barely enough to handle my bandwidth. So, while backups are important,
    I want the primary server to not go down.

  11. Re: Bulletproofing a Server

    Ignoramus9992 wrote:
    > On 2008-02-26, Tris Orendorff wrote:
    >> Ignoramus24141 burped up warm
    >> pablum in news4SdnY3WqNSpal_anZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@giganews.com:
    >>
    >>> I am building a server and I want to make sure that it is
    >>> "bulletproof", which, to me, means that it can last a long time and
    >>> survive adversity without too much attention and would have a great
    >>> uptime.

    >>> It will be hosted in a datacenter, and I do not want to visit it too
    >>> often. My current server is 3+ years old, and I saw it exactly once
    >>> during this time, when I added extra memory to it.

    >> You will also need "bulletproof" software to handle all that
    >> hardware. I recommend Windows 98 for its superb hardware support
    >> and crash-free reliability.
    >>

    > Why did not you suggest Windows ME?

    I don't understand why u recommend Win98 or Me OS. This work with that size
    of ram and disk? In my opinion this is old system and can't handle that
    hardware. I'm right? Greetz.

  12. Re: Bulletproofing a Server

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:27:02 +0100, unknown rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > Ignoramus9992 wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-26, Tris Orendorff wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus24141 burped up warm
    >>> pablum in news4SdnY3WqNSpal_anZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@giganews.com:

    >>> You will also need "bulletproof" software to handle all that hardware.
    >>> I recommend Windows 98 for its superb hardware support and crash-free
    >>> reliability.
    >>>

    >> Why did not you suggest Windows ME?

    > I don't understand why u recommend Win98 or Me OS. This work with that
    > size of ram and disk? In my opinion this is old system and can't handle
    > that hardware. I'm right? Greetz.

    google "sarcasm"

+ Reply to Thread