What's wrong with this DNS entry? - Networking

This is a discussion on What's wrong with this DNS entry? - Networking ; I know someone with a godaddy linux box, that when you try and do a lookup of the MX record returns this: dig somedomain.org mx +short 20 213.67.173.4.somedomain.org. It should just return somedomain.org. What exactly is wrong with this DNS ...

  1. What's wrong with this DNS entry?

    I know someone with a godaddy linux box, that when you try and do a lookup
    of the MX record returns this:

    dig somedomain.org mx +short

    20 213.67.173.4.somedomain.org.

    It should just return somedomain.org. What exactly is wrong with this DNS
    record?

    -Thanks

  2. Re: What's wrong with this DNS entry?

    Hello,

    Fred a écrit :
    > I know someone with a godaddy linux box,

    What is this ?

    > that when you try and do a lookup of the MX record returns this:
    >
    > dig somedomain.org mx +short
    >
    > 20 213.67.173.4.somedomain.org.
    >
    > It should just return somedomain.org. What exactly is wrong with this DNS
    > record?

    My guess is the MX record data field in the zone file was wrongly filled
    with a IP address while a host name is expected. So the dotted quad form
    of the IP address is considered as an unqualified domain name (no
    trailing dot) and is appended the current origin, which is zone domain name.

  3. Re: What's wrong with this DNS entry?

    On Feb 25, 3:49 am, Fred wrote:
    > I know someone with a godaddy linux box, that when you try and do a lookup
    > of the MX record returns this:
    >
    > dig somedomain.org mx +short
    >
    > 20 213.67.173.4.somedomain.org.
    >
    > It should just return somedomain.org. What exactly is wrong with this DNS
    > record?
    >
    > -Thanks

    Some idiot put an IP address for the MX target and left off the dot at
    the end. Find the person who edited the zone file last and revoke
    their privileges until they read "DNS and Bind" and pass an exam on
    it.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread