file sharing between ubuntu and leopard - Networking

This is a discussion on file sharing between ubuntu and leopard - Networking ; I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two. I have installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba) and am able to see ...

  1. file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running Ubuntu
    7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two. I have
    installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba) and am able to
    see the network connection on my Mac but connecting to it is another
    thing. How do I fix this problem? I don't know if this is this is
    related to this issue but I am also having difficulties with hosting
    games over the network, I want to host games on my Toshiba but the
    other machines on the network (the Mac) are not allowed (or able) to
    connect to it. Please help otherwise I will have to return to
    Windows :S
    Thanks
    Munkeyjunkey

  2. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    On Feb 25, 2:09*am, Munkeyjunkey wrote:
    > I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running Ubuntu
    > 7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two. *I have
    > installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba) and am able to
    > see the network connection on my Mac but connecting to it is another
    > thing. *How do I fix this problem? *I don't know if this is this is
    > related to this issue but I am also having difficulties with hosting
    > games over the network, I want to host games on my Toshiba but the
    > other machines on the network (the Mac) are not allowed (or able) to
    > connect to it. *Please help otherwise I will have to return to
    > Windows :S
    > Thanks
    > Munkeyjunkey

    Oh and I forgot to mention I also setup shares on the Toshiba I just
    can't access them on the Mac from the above stated reasons.

  3. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    Munkeyjunkey wrote:
    > Oh and I forgot to mention I also setup shares on the Toshiba I just
    > can't access them on the Mac from the above stated reasons.

    What reasons? You gave *no* reasons, other than I can't connect. Do
    better, and we'll try harder to help.

    What have you tried *exactly*?
    What were the errors *exactly*?
    Do you have firewalls? Turn them off first to check if that's the
    problem, or allow those ports to open.
    Many ways to connect from Mac to Linux and visa versa. Have you tried
    them all? SSH, SMB, NFS, etc.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    On Feb 25, 2:59*am, johnny bobby bee no_spam...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    > Munkeyjunkey wrote:
    > > Oh and I forgot to mention I also setup shares on the Toshiba I just
    > > can't access them on the Mac from the above stated reasons.

    > What reasons? You gave *no* reasons, other than I can't connect. Do
    > better, and we'll try harder to help.
    >
    > What have you tried *exactly*?
    > What were the errors *exactly*?
    > Do you have firewalls? Turn them off first to check if that's the
    > problem, or allow those ports to open.
    > Many ways to connect from Mac to Linux and visa versa. Have you tried
    > them all? SSH, SMB, NFS, etc.
    >
    > --
    > As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    > glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    > and this we should do freely and generously.
    > --Benjamin Franklin

    I don't have any firewalls and I don't know all the ways to connect
    between those operating systems, I;m kind of a noob at this. I only
    tried SMB and when I try to connect to ubuntu from leopard it says
    connection failed. When I try to connect in games it says unable to
    connect. the only reason I can think of is that on the ubuntu side
    the permissions for networking might be too high other than that I
    have no clue.

  5. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    Munkeyjunkey wrote:

    > I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running
    > Ubuntu
    > 7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two. I
    > have installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba)

    Samba implements CIFS, which is used by Windows. For MacOS X you
    want to have an Apple-Talk server. Netatalk implements this:

    -> http://netatalk.sf.net

    To make the shares appear in the Finder you also need to install
    avahi:

    -> http://avahi.org

    There's a HOWTO for Gentoo, but the scheme is the same for all
    distributions:

    -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_AFP

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  6. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    > Munkeyjunkey wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running
    >> Ubuntu
    >> 7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two. I
    >> have installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba)

    > Samba implements CIFS, which is used by Windows. For MacOS X you
    > want to have an Apple-Talk server.

    No; OSX does CIFS as well.

    Robert

    Netatalk implements this:

    > -> http://netatalk.sf.net
    >
    > To make the shares appear in the Finder you also need to install
    > avahi:
    >
    > -> http://avahi.org
    >
    > There's a HOWTO for Gentoo, but the scheme is the same for all
    > distributions:
    >
    > -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_AFP
    >
    > Wolfgang Draxinger

  7. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    >> Munkeyjunkey wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Mac running OS X Leopard and a Toshiba M50 running
    >>> Ubuntu
    >>> 7.10 gutsy and I was trying to share files between the two.
    >>> I have installed the file sharing drivers/files (i.e. Samba)

    >> Samba implements CIFS, which is used by Windows. For MacOS X
    >> you want to have an Apple-Talk server.

    > No; OSX does CIFS as well.

    Yes it does, as OS X ships with Samba. However installing
    Netatalk is IMHO the better solution. A few weeks ago I
    installed a 4TiB NAS system at a photographer.

    By using Netatalk and Avahi its use is completely hassle free.
    Connect the Server to the network, let it fetch an IP and wait a
    few seconds for Avahi to announce it. On all connected Macs the
    Volume appears in the Finder from where you can use it directly,
    after you logged in.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  8. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    On 2008-02-26, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    > Yes it does, as OS X ships with Samba. However installing
    > Netatalk is IMHO the better solution. A few weeks ago I
    > installed a 4TiB NAS system at a photographer.
    >
    > By using Netatalk and Avahi its use is completely hassle free.
    > Connect the Server to the network, let it fetch an IP and wait a
    > few seconds for Avahi to announce it. On all connected Macs the
    > Volume appears in the Finder from where you can use it directly,
    > after you logged in.

    Why do you think Netatalk is better than CIFS for OS X->linux file
    sharing? Using CIFS is also hassle-free, since you don't have to
    install Avahi on your OS X clients. The only piece of information you
    need is the CIFS name of the file server. Once connected, you can
    create a shortcut on the OS X desktop so you can reconnect without going
    through the Finder. And, as far as I know, netatalk is currently
    unmaintained, though there may be more recent versions floating around
    somewhere. The only compelling reason I can think of to use netatalk
    instead of Samba is if you also have OS < X machines on your network,
    which don't (easily) support CIFS or NFS.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  9. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Why do you think Netatalk is better than CIFS for OS X->linux
    > file sharing? Using CIFS is also hassle-free, since you don't
    > have to install Avahi on your OS X clients.

    You don't have to. Avahi is just an implementation of Bonjour,
    which is the foundation of all the Network Plug and Play Apple
    Computers provide. Or in other words: A deamon for this is
    already preinstalled on Macs.

    It's all on the Linux side, and I don't see a sane reason, why
    one should use a Microsoft propritary protocol to connect
    systems that are both not Microsoft.

    NFS is another option, but getting Netatalk to work is IMHO
    simpler (and NFS is simple enough already). Also Netatalk allows
    to configure quite sophisticated authentication methods,
    something that NFS doesn't have.

    > The only piece of information you need is the CIFS name of the
    > file server. Once connected, you can create a shortcut on the
    > OS X desktop so you can reconnect without going through the
    > Finder.

    Volumes shared by Netatalk can also put on the Desktop. The
    Finder is just the way to access them in the first place. And
    unlike with CIFS, the Netatalk Volumes are announced in the
    network, i.e. no need to know the exact name of the server.

    > And, as far as I know, netatalk is currently unmaintained,
    > though there may be more recent versions floating around
    > somewhere.

    If it works, why not use it?

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  10. Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard

    On 2008-02-26, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    > It's all on the Linux side, and I don't see a sane reason, why
    > one should use a Microsoft propritary protocol to connect
    > systems that are both not Microsoft.

    Well, I use NFS. But many organizations will already have a working
    Samba server, so to install another sharing protocol to share with OS X
    will seem silly compared to simply mounting the Samba share.

    > NFS is another option, but getting Netatalk to work is IMHO
    > simpler (and NFS is simple enough already). Also Netatalk allows
    > to configure quite sophisticated authentication methods,
    > something that NFS doesn't have.

    True, though NFSv4 is supposed to. (I don't know any non-devel NFSv4
    implementations for linux.) But not all networks need those
    authentication methods, and if they do, and already have Samba working,
    then they likely have everything they need.

    >> And, as far as I know, netatalk is currently unmaintained,
    >> though there may be more recent versions floating around
    >> somewhere.

    > If it works, why not use it?

    If there's a bug, who will fix it? I know I couldn't. This is probably
    the biggest drawback to netatalk. The other is, of course, that it only
    supports AFP, and thus only OS X clients. If all you have is OS X
    clients, great! If not, I'd prefer not to introduce yet another
    filesharing protocol to my network. (As it is, IRL I support Samba and
    NFS, so the minor advantages netatalk provides don't outweigh the extra
    sysadmin effort and complexity it would introduce.)