ssh behavior - Networking

This is a discussion on ssh behavior - Networking ; System: AMD 3600 etc OS: RH 8.0 name: moose When I attempt to SSH to moose, it takes several seconds to acknowledge and ask for password. When I give the password, it never returns. I timed at least 30 seconds ...

  1. ssh behavior

    System: AMD 3600 etc
    OS: RH 8.0
    name: moose

    When I attempt to SSH to moose,
    it takes several seconds to acknowledge
    and ask for password. When I give the
    password, it never returns. I timed
    at least 30 seconds before I gave up.

    I found beaucoup xen processes running on
    moose (not needed) but when I killed
    the processes nothing changed.

    Any thoughts?

    john slimick
    slimick@pitt.edu

  2. Re: ssh behavior

    John Slimick schrieb:
    > System: AMD 3600 etc
    > OS: RH 8.0
    > name: moose
    >
    > When I attempt to SSH to moose,
    > it takes several seconds to acknowledge
    > and ask for password. When I give the
    > password, it never returns. I timed
    > at least 30 seconds before I gave up.
    >
    > I found beaucoup xen processes running on
    > moose (not needed) but when I killed
    > the processes nothing changed.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Is an SSH server running on moose?
    What about the firewall? Is port 22 open?

    HTH,
    Frank

  3. Re: ssh behavior

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:43:46 +0000, John Slimick wrote:

    > System: AMD 3600 etc
    > OS: RH 8.0
    > name: moose
    >
    > When I attempt to SSH to moose,
    > it takes several seconds to acknowledge and ask for password. When I
    > give the password, it never returns. I timed
    > at least 30 seconds before I gave up.

    Can moose resolve your client's hostname from its IP address?

  4. More ssh behavior