Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another? - Networking

This is a discussion on Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another? - Networking ; Is it possible to have a router give priority to one client over another? if that is router/hardware specific then what are some examples of routers that do this? I run a dual boot setup (on my server) of linux/XP ...

  1. Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

    Is it possible to have a router give priority to one client over
    another? if that is router/hardware specific then what are some
    examples of routers that do this? I run a dual boot setup (on my
    server) of linux/XP pro with both running most of the time (vmware) so
    i assume that a hardware solution would be easier than software (please
    correct me if i am wrong).

    The scenario
    I have a file/print server and a client/workstation, quite often i have

    a million things at once going on my workstation, sometimes rebooting,
    surfing etc. I usually do the big downloads (like linux distro images,
    podcasts, etc) using the server. The setup works out ok but quite
    often i can wait for the large downloads but want to surf (on the
    workstation) while the downloads are going on, slow surfing is painful.
    When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
    So i wanted a way to give the
    workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
    when its not being used.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    -Gaiko

  2. Re: Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

    When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
    So i wanted a way to give the
    workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
    when its not being used.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ===

    Implementing something in your router would be difficult because a
    small bit of requests from your computer can request large amounts of
    download traffic. Without administrative control over the ISP router
    just before it gets to your house (to implement QOS there) your
    internet "pipe" to your house could fill up becuase you don't have
    upstream control over the traffic. I assume that large file downloads
    that you are attempting have an FTP download option. I would suggest
    you try an FTP client that has "speed limit" settings. Filezilla
    maybe? Then you can throttle the application and its use of your
    bandwith via application settings. Software settings wouldn't be as
    dynamic, because it won't know when you are online or not, but
    Filezilla lets you specify times of day that are ok to go full throttle
    and a schedule for when it should throttle back.

  3. Re: Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

    Linksys wireless G router has the ability to set priority on the ports.

    wrote in message
    news:1111399114.319194.296570@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is it possible to have a router give priority to one client over
    > another? if that is router/hardware specific then what are some
    > examples of routers that do this? I run a dual boot setup (on my
    > server) of linux/XP pro with both running most of the time (vmware) so
    > i assume that a hardware solution would be easier than software (please
    > correct me if i am wrong).
    >

    > The scenario
    > I have a file/print server and a client/workstation, quite often i have
    >
    > a million things at once going on my workstation, sometimes rebooting,
    > surfing etc. I usually do the big downloads (like linux distro images,
    > podcasts, etc) using the server. The setup works out ok but quite
    > often i can wait for the large downloads but want to surf (on the
    > workstation) while the downloads are going on, slow surfing is painful.
    > When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
    > So i wanted a way to give the
    > workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
    > when its not being used.
    >

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >

    > -Gaiko

  4. Re: Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

    Hmmmm, the giving priority to ports is a thought, thanks for the heads
    up!

    -Gaiko

  5. Re: Have a router give priority to one client/computer over another?

    Hello Gaiko,

    Yes, the method you want is called QoS (Quality of service). Various
    model sof routers have this features, especially new ones, as VoIP is
    beocming more common and works best with QoS ports.

    One router I know has QoS port options is the Linksys RT31P2, which
    has the VoIP funciotn built into it.

    But yea, so what youa re looking for is a router with QoS
    functionlity.

    Kind Regards,
    Bill Krahmer

    New Internet/network service monitoring software:
    "First Alert Service Monitor" - Free trial.
    http://www.electrasoft.com/fasm.htm

    On 21 Mar 2005 01:58:34 -0800, gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is it possible to have a router give priority to one client over
    >another? if that is router/hardware specific then what are some
    >examples of routers that do this? I run a dual boot setup (on my
    >server) of linux/XP pro with both running most of the time (vmware) so
    >i assume that a hardware solution would be easier than software (please
    >correct me if i am wrong).
    >

    >The scenario
    >I have a file/print server and a client/workstation, quite often i have
    >
    >a million things at once going on my workstation, sometimes rebooting,
    >surfing etc. I usually do the big downloads (like linux distro images,
    >podcasts, etc) using the server. The setup works out ok but quite
    >often i can wait for the large downloads but want to surf (on the
    >workstation) while the downloads are going on, slow surfing is painful.
    > When I am doing large downloads it brings my connection to its knees.
    >So i wanted a way to give the
    >workstation priority when its being used and then balance it back out
    >when its not being used.
    >

    >Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >

    >-Gaiko

+ Reply to Thread