Internet connection - Networking

This is a discussion on Internet connection - Networking ; I am new to Linux ( Ubuntu ) and i need to connect to the internet while i am on the move as a trucker in the UK. I bought a modem from T- Mobile, only to be told that ...

  1. Internet connection

    I am new to Linux ( Ubuntu ) and i need to connect to the internet
    while i am on the move as a trucker in the UK. I bought a modem from T-
    Mobile, only to be told that the systems are incompatible. Is there a
    method with which i can use or can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong

  2. Re: Internet connection

    25085940LM@googlemail.com wrote:
    > I am new to Linux ( Ubuntu ) and i need to connect to the internet
    > while i am on the move as a trucker in the UK. I bought a modem from T-
    > Mobile, only to be told that the systems are incompatible. Is there a
    > method with which i can use or can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong

    Three questions for you:

    * What modem are you wanting to use?

    * What flavour (version) of Ubuntu?

    * Who told you the systems were incompatible - someone from
    T-Mobile, or someone who knows about Linux distributions?

    Chris

  3. Re: Internet connection

    25085940LM@googlemail.com <25085940LM@googlemail.com> wrote:
    > I am new to Linux ( Ubuntu ) and i need to connect to the internet
    > while i am on the move as a trucker in the UK. I bought a modem from T-
    > Mobile, only to be told that the systems are incompatible. Is there a
    > method with which i can use or can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong

    For many makes of mobile phone there are serial cables available, which
    can be connected to the serial port of a computer. Sometimes rather
    than a serial cable, you need a pcmcia modem designed to work with the
    phone. Others can be connected to using IrDA or Bluetooth. If both
    your laptop and your mobile support bluetooth, then that is probably the
    best option.

    --
    Bruce

    It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
    his head smells.

+ Reply to Thread