"middleman" server - Networking

This is a discussion on "middleman" server - Networking ; Hello, I have no clue what this is called, but I'm trying to find out how this would be done. I want to set it up so that I have a server that all requests AND responses from my web ...

  1. "middleman" server

    Hello,

    I have no clue what this is called, but I'm trying to find out how
    this would be done.

    I want to set it up so that I have a server that all requests AND
    go to www.mysomedomain.com/request/mypage.php. That request would go
    through a server (let's call it SERVER X). SERVER X might or might
    not do some stuff with the request (i.e. logging certain stats about
    the request). Then SERVER X would forward the request onto the web
    server (SERVER Y) where the actuall application resides and would
    build the response. SERVER Y would send the response back, but
    instead of going directly to the client, it would go through SERVER
    X. SERVER X would perform some processing on the response as well as
    some logging for statistical purposes. SERVER X would then forward on
    that response that it generates (a modified response from SERVER Y)
    onto the client browser.

    HTTP REQUEST
    user (browser) -> SERVER Y -> SERVER X

    HTTP RESPONSE
    SERVER X -> SERVER Y -> user (browser)

    How would I go about doing this? Primarily SERVER Y would be for any
    customer of ours, so it isn't a preset server. This would be a
    service that we'd hope would be one solved by DNS/BIND configuration
    as well as maybe some Apache foo. Hopefully in the end the customer
    would have to only make a couple of changes technically on their end
    to redirect traffic through SERVER Y.

    Is this sort of like a transparent proxy server?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: "middleman" server

    I'm so sorry. I'm a dork. Here is a correction.

    HTTP REQUEST
    user (browser) -> SERVER X -> SERVER Y

    HTTP RESPONSE
    SERVER Y -> SERVER X -> user (browser)

    How would I go about doing this? Primarily SERVER Y would be any
    customer of ours, so it isn't a preset server. This would be a
    service that we'd hope would be one solved by DNS/BIND configuration
    as well as maybe some Apache foo. Hopefully in the end the customer
    would have to only make a couple of changes technically on their end
    to redirect traffic through SERVER X.

    Thanks!

  3. Re: "middleman" server

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:07:30 -0800, PhxVyper wrote:

    > I have no clue what this is called, but I'm trying to find out how
    > this would be done.

    Look at the Apache documentation for mod_proxy, reverse proxy.

    Dan

  4. Re: "middleman" server

    On Feb 18, 5:16 pm, Dan N wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:07:30 -0800, PhxVyper wrote:
    > > I have no clue what this is called, but I'm trying to find out how
    > > this would be done.

    > Look at the Apache documentation for mod_proxy, reverse proxy.
    >
    > Dan

    Thanks, Dan. Reverse Proxy looks very much like the ticket.

    How could I process the response before sending it to the user? For
    instance, there may be times when I want to change or add content to
    an html page that is part of the response and maybe even do other
    stuff to the response. It would be great if I could write
    applications (i.e. via PHP) to manipulate the response before allowing
    it to continue through to the user.

    Thanks,
    Chad

  5. Re: "middleman" server

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:18:43 -0800, PhxVyper wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 5:16 pm, Dan N wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:07:30 -0800, PhxVyper wrote:
    >> > I have no clue what this is called, but I'm trying to find out how
    >> > this would be done.

    >> Look at the Apache documentation for mod_proxy, reverse proxy.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Thanks, Dan. Reverse Proxy looks very much like the ticket.
    >
    > How could I process the response before sending it to the user? For
    > instance, there may be times when I want to change or add content to an
    > html page that is part of the response and maybe even do other stuff to
    > the response. It would be great if I could write applications (i.e. via
    > PHP) to manipulate the response before allowing it to continue through
    > to the user.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chad

    Look at the mod_rewrite apache module. Not sure what you want to do, but
    it seems overly and or unnecessarily complex.

+ Reply to Thread