Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface - Networking

This is a discussion on Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface - Networking ; HI Can anyone please tell me the command for assigning IPv6 address and mac address on a interface. I tried ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64 It didnt work Is the command correct.? Cheers...

  1. Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

    HI

    Can anyone please tell me the command for assigning IPv6 address and
    mac address on a interface.
    I tried
    ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64
    It didnt work

    Is the command correct.?
    Cheers

  2. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

    Hello,

    iceman a écrit :

    > Can anyone please tell me the command for assigning IPv6 address and
    > mac address on a interface.

    man ifconfig
    man 8 ip

    > I tried
    > ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64
    > It didnt work

    Please can you elaborate ? How do you see it does not work ?

    > Is the command correct.?

    Yes, it works for me. You can also assign an IPv6 address with the 'ip'
    command from the iproute/iproute2 package :

    ip -6 address add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64 dev eth0

    Note that the 2001:0db8::/32 range is to be used for documentation
    purpose only. If you do not have a global prefix you can create and use
    a prefix in the unique local address range (ULA, cf. RFC 4193). A
    generator is available at .

  3. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on theinterface

    Hi,
    I got the error
    "No support for INET6 on this system."

    Thats why I was wondering if the command was wrong
    Cheers

  4. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on theinterface

    iceman a écrit :
    > I got the error
    > "No support for INET6 on this system."

    It seems that the kernel or maybe the glibc lacks IPv6 support. What is
    the distribution (name and version) ?
    Maybe the ipv6 kernel module was not loaded. Try to manually load it
    with the following command :

    modprobe ipv6

  5. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on theinterface

    I tried out
    modprobe ipv6

    I get the error

    FATAL: Module ipv6 not found

  6. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

    iceman a écrit :
    > I tried out
    > modprobe ipv6
    >
    > I get the error
    >
    > FATAL: Module ipv6 not found

    What is the output of
    grep CONFIG_IPV6 /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    or
    zgrep CONFIG_IPV6 /proc/config.gz

    You did not answer about the distribution name and version.

  7. Re: Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

    "iceman" wrote in message
    > I got the error "No support for INET6 on this system."
    >
    > Thats why I was wondering if the command was wrong

    Your problem is that you don't have IPv6 support. Make certain that it is
    compiled into your kernel AND into net-tools.

+ Reply to Thread