socket programming - Networking

This is a discussion on socket programming - Networking ; hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming ..... i just want to know wheather if we could get statistics related to a particular port using socket programming in C? statistics in the sense .... no ...

  1. socket programming

    hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming ..... i
    just want to know wheather if we could get statistics related to a
    particular port using socket programming in C? statistics in the
    sense .... no of packets transmitted,received etc ..... or is there
    any file in linux( i use fedora) which gives this kind of
    information? .... thanks in advance !!!

  2. Re: socket programming

    On Feb 12, 2:09 pm, rak.dontm...@gmail.com wrote:
    > hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming ..... i
    > just want to know wheather if we could get statistics related to a
    > particular port using socket programming in C? statistics in the
    > sense .... no of packets transmitted,received etc ..... or is there
    > any file in linux( i use fedora) which gives this kind of
    > information? .... thanks in advance !!!

    Why not use the "/sbin/ifconfig" file? As in...

    struct FILE *Stats = popen("/sbin/ifconfig eth0","r");

    if (Stats)
    {
    char buff[256];

    while (fgets(buff, sizeof(buff), Stats) != EOF)
    fputs(buff,stdout);
    pclose(Stats);
    }

  3. Re: socket programming

    rak.dontmess@gmail.com wrote:
    > hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming
    > ..... i just want to know wheather if we could get statistics
    > related to a particular port using socket programming in C?
    > statistics in the sense .... no of packets transmitted,received etc
    > ..... or is there any file in linux( i use fedora) which gives this
    > kind of information? .... thanks in advance !!!

    The closest you can get IIRC is what is reported by a TCP_INFO
    getsockopt(), which is described in the manpage for tcp under linux.
    It is decidedly non-portable. That of course won't do anything for
    UDP, or DCCP or SCTP etc etc. And it is very specific to the Linux
    stack - it may not be there on other stacks.

    There might be some way using netfilter (?) to gather those stats, but
    I'm not sufficiently familiar with how one uses that to say.

    rick jones

  4. Re: socket programming

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 2:09 pm, rak.dontm...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming ..... i
    > > just want to know wheather if we could get statistics related to a
    > > particular port using socket programming in C? statistics in the
    > > sense .... no of packets transmitted,received etc ..... or is there
    > > any file in linux( i use fedora) which gives this kind of
    > > information? .... thanks in advance !!!

    > Why not use the "/sbin/ifconfig" file? As in...

    > struct FILE *Stats = popen("/sbin/ifconfig eth0","r");

    > if (Stats)
    > {
    > char buff[256];

    > while (fgets(buff, sizeof(buff), Stats) != EOF)
    > fputs(buff,stdout);
    > pclose(Stats);
    > }

    That would give the count of everything that went through the
    interface, not just that for the OP's port of interest. Now, if he
    "knew" that his was the only active sockets application using that
    interface it would give him what he wants, but I doubt that will ever
    be the case.

    rick jones
    --
    web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...

  5. Re: socket programming

    On Feb 12, 11:09 am, rak.dontm...@gmail.com wrote:
    > hello ... this is rakesh ..... i am new to socket programming ..... i
    > just want to know wheather if we could get statistics related to a
    > particular port using socket programming in C? statistics in the
    > sense .... no of packets transmitted,received etc ..... or is there
    > any file in linux( i use fedora) which gives this kind of
    > information? .... thanks in advance !!!

    This is one thing I really like about FreeBSD and really miss about
    Linux. FreeBSD has some great ways to track flows passing through it
    and track traffic by destination and by port.

    I know of no good ways to do this on Linux. I would be very interested
    in possible ways to do this because I have been forced to use FreeBSD
    for several firewalls where I would prefer Linux because I can't get
    good statistics on traffic by destination host and/or by flow.

    HTB also can't easily regulate traffic by host unless you reserve
    bandwidth for every single host. That's awkward when you have tens of
    thousands of hosts.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread