Detect remote OS ? - Networking

This is a discussion on Detect remote OS ? - Networking ; Is it possible to detect someone else os (eg: macos, windows, linux...) knowing only its ip ? ( I run windows XP, on an lan ) Thanks...

  1. Detect remote OS ?

    Is it possible to detect someone else os (eg: macos, windows, linux...)
    knowing only its ip ?
    ( I run windows XP, on an lan )

    Thanks

  2. Re: Detect remote OS ?

    Jean Berniolles wrote:
    > Is it possible to detect someone else os (eg: macos, windows,
    > linux...) knowing only its ip ?
    > ( I run windows XP, on an lan )
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes ,it is possible.
    * See GFI Langaurd Network Security Scanner at http://www.gfi.com
    or
    psinfo.exe at pstools in www.sysinternals.com

    OS detection might be not possible if a
    client runs a firewall.

    --
    Winners dont do different things, they do things differently.

    Madhur Ahuja
    India

    Homepage : http://madhur.netfirms.com
    Email : madhurahujayahoocom