Setting up ADSL? - Networking

This is a discussion on Setting up ADSL? - Networking ; I am getting ADSL (728/128) next week and have some questions. I run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. The DSL connection will use PPPoE and I'll be getting a static IP. I guess I just need 1 ethernet cable ...

  1. Setting up ADSL?

    I am getting ADSL (728/128) next week and have some questions.

    I run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel.

    The DSL connection will use PPPoE and I'll be getting a static IP.

    I guess I just need 1 ethernet cable to connect the DSL modem to my
    NIC right?

    How do I setup the PPPoE account (username, password)?

    The modem also has a built in 4 port router so how can I setup NAT (I
    only have 1 machine now but plan to add more in the future)?

    How do I setup DHCP for my private addresses which NAT will use?

    Anyone have a good basic firewall (especially example rules scripts!)
    that I can put up?

    Besides a plain firewall what else can I do to make my machine more
    secure since it will be connected to the outside world nearly 24x7
    from now on.

    Last week one of my friends had their machine ping flooded, they
    couldn't get any packets out and the attacker only stopped after he
    unplugged his router and waited a few hours before reconnecting.

    Questions:

    1) If this happens to me what should I do to stop the attacker and get
    back online?
    (A quick way to ignore their IP would be good for starters.)

    2) Why didn't his ISP or even the ISP's upstream provider catch this
    and automatically null route the offender?

    Also how can I manually bring my connection up and down?

    Anyone know some good packages for logging network trafficing,
    deciphering logs, getting useful reports etc? If you log a lot I
    suppose there is no way to get around having to read many log mails
    every day, the price of security eh?

    Thanks,
    Zach

  2. Re: Setting up ADSL?

    A little more info:

    I've ordered DSL service from a local Verizon reseller. I will be
    getting 728/128 service for $19.95 a month. He
    said I can have a free DSL modem and a static ip. I would like to
    prepare for this so what should I do on my Linux side?

    I've got a Dell Latitude C600 laptop running Debian lenny with a
    2.6.18 Debianized kernel.

    The notebook has a NIC so I guess the DSL modem will plug into that.

    He said they run PPPoE so what will I have to do to get my connection
    up once it is phsically setup?

    I've been a dialup user all my life so I don't know much about
    networking beyond pon/poff, pppconfig, wvial :-)

    How will I bring up my connection? If I need to bring it down how
    would I do that?

    Since I'll have my own static ip how would I go about getting my own
    domain? He said I can run my own webserver. Not sure about mailserver.

    Here is what lspci says about my ethernet card:

    00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane CardBus
    [Cyclone] (rev 10)
    Subsystem: 3Com Corporation Unknown device 6456
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
    ParErr-
    Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
    >TAbort-

    SERR- Latency: 32 (2500ns min, 1250ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    Region 0: I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
    Region 1: Memory at f3ffdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    [size=128]
    Region 2: Memory at f3ffd800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    [size=128]
    Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
    PME(D0-,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)

    The guy from Verizon will only setup the line outside (adding the DSL
    to my existing landline so I must setup everything else inside myself
    (hardware and Linux).

    Zach

  3. Re: Setting up ADSL?

    Zach wrote:
    > A little more info:
    >
    > I've ordered DSL service from a local Verizon reseller. I will be
    > getting 728/128 service for $19.95 a month. He
    > said I can have a free DSL modem and a static ip. I would like to
    > prepare for this so what should I do on my Linux side?

    Normally you don't have to do anything; most DSL modems are configured
    either through a web server built into them or a telnet interface.

    Your connection to the modem will probably be straight ethernet.

    Some DSL modems are USB not ethernet; you don't want one of those!

    Robert

    > I've got a Dell Latitude C600 laptop running Debian lenny with a
    > 2.6.18 Debianized kernel.
    >
    > The notebook has a NIC so I guess the DSL modem will plug into that.
    >
    > He said they run PPPoE so what will I have to do to get my connection
    > up once it is phsically setup?
    >
    > I've been a dialup user all my life so I don't know much about
    > networking beyond pon/poff, pppconfig, wvial :-)
    >
    > How will I bring up my connection? If I need to bring it down how
    > would I do that?
    >
    > Since I'll have my own static ip how would I go about getting my own
    > domain? He said I can run my own webserver. Not sure about mailserver.
    >
    > Here is what lspci says about my ethernet card:
    >
    > 00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane CardBus
    > [Cyclone] (rev 10)
    > Subsystem: 3Com Corporation Unknown device 6456
    > Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
    > ParErr-
    > Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
    >> TAbort-

    > SERR- > Latency: 32 (2500ns min, 1250ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    > Region 0: I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
    > Region 1: Memory at f3ffdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    > [size=128]
    > Region 2: Memory at f3ffd800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    > [size=128]
    > Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
    > PME(D0-,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)
    >
    > The guy from Verizon will only setup the line outside (adding the DSL
    > to my existing landline so I must setup everything else inside myself
    > (hardware and Linux).
    >
    > Zach

+ Reply to Thread