Linux network security poll - Networking

This is a discussion on Linux network security poll - Networking ; I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering if list members could explain their security setup (network configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, ...

  1. Linux network security poll

    I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
    the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
    if list members could explain their security setup (network
    configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.). Also what would
    you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
    terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
    be recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated?
    I run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. I will be getting ADSL next
    week and plan on having a DSL modem/router doing NAT. I only have one
    machine now but plan on adding another one within the next 3 months or
    so.

    Zach

  2. Re: Linux network security poll

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800, Zach wrote:

    > I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
    > the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering if
    > list members could explain their security setup (network configuration,
    > DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.). Also what would you recommend for
    > someone like me who is still on an entry level in terms of my
    > understanding of Linux and network security and what would be recommend
    > for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated? I run Debian
    > lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. I will be getting ADSL next week and plan on
    > having a DSL modem/router doing NAT. I only have one machine now but
    > plan on adding another one within the next 3 months or so.
    >
    > Zach

    Close off all ports on the router. If you need external access to your
    systems then open an ssh port preferably on a non-standard port. When
    configuring ssh disable password authentication and root access and
    require RSA authentication. You can run a firewall on your system in
    addition to the router's firewall if you want, but it shouldn't be
    necessary.

+ Reply to Thread