Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible? - Networking

This is a discussion on Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible? - Networking ; Hi there, I have a question that I am not sure if it possible, please advise. Here is the scenario. I have a Wireless Cisco Controller model 4400, this device needs to be connected to the same VLAN in my ...

  1. Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible?

    Hi there,

    I have a question that I am not sure if it possible, please advise.

    Here is the scenario.

    I have a Wireless Cisco Controller model 4400, this device needs to be
    connected to the same VLAN in my layer 3 Switch ( HP 54850A ) in order
    for communication with the access points across the network (LWAAP)

    In the Controller, I have setup two WLAN.

    1. CompanyWiFi
    2. CustomerWiFi

    The companyWiFi SSID hands over the regular network IP address for
    example 192.168.0.X
    if you Connect to the CustomerWiFi you get the IP range of 172.16.0.X

    Since the controller is connected to the same L3 Switch, same VLAN..
    only the 192.18x.0.X is currently working and being router correctly.
    The 172.16.0.X range is not being routed correctly. This is where my
    question arises.

    Is it possible to have two separate gateway on the same VLAN and
    specify a GW to use according to the source IP?

    for example.

    192.168.0.x >>>> 192.168.0.254
    172.16.0.x >>>>>>>> 172.16.0.254

    I was thinking of connecting a linux firewall/router to the same VLAN
    with the GW IP address of 172.16.0.254 , hence only the 172.16.0.X
    will route through the linux box, everything else the ( 192.168.X )
    will exit out of the 192.168.0.254 GW.

    The other solution I was thinking is to add a Router inbetween the
    Controller and the L3 Switch. Have the router with multiple nic and
    let it do the routing. The L3 Switch will only contain the Vlans
    which would be properly mapped via the router.

    Any advise on this scenarion, would be highly appreciated.

    Yader

  2. Re: Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible?

    On Jan 28, 3:13 pm, "YADER.C...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a question that I am not sure if it possible, please advise.
    >
    > Here is the scenario.
    >
    > I have a Wireless Cisco Controller model 4400, this device needs to be
    > connected to the same VLAN in my layer 3 Switch ( HP 54850A ) in order
    > for communication with the access points across the network (LWAAP)
    >
    > In the Controller, I have setup two WLAN.
    >
    > 1. CompanyWiFi
    > 2. CustomerWiFi
    >
    > The companyWiFi SSID hands over the regular network IP address for
    > example 192.168.0.X
    > if you Connect to the CustomerWiFi you get the IP range of 172.16.0.X
    >
    > Since the controller is connected to the same L3 Switch, same VLAN..
    > only the 192.18x.0.X is currently working and being router correctly.
    > The 172.16.0.X range is not being routed correctly. This is where my
    > question arises.
    >
    > Is it possible to have two separate gateway on the same VLAN and
    > specify a GW to use according to the source IP?
    >
    > for example.
    >
    > 192.168.0.x >>>> 192.168.0.254
    > 172.16.0.x >>>>>>>> 172.16.0.254
    >
    > I was thinking of connecting a linux firewall/router to the same VLAN
    > with the GW IP address of 172.16.0.254 , hence only the 172.16.0.X
    > will route through the linux box, everything else the ( 192.168.X )
    > will exit out of the 192.168.0.254 GW.
    >
    > The other solution I was thinking is to add a Router inbetween the
    > Controller and the L3 Switch. Have the router with multiple nic and
    > let it do the routing. The L3 Switch will only contain the Vlans
    > which would be properly mapped via the router.
    >
    > Any advise on this scenarion, would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Yader

    Hmm.. this is an interesting dilemma. My suggestion would be to
    firmly grasp your L3 switch, tilt it sideways and forcefully shove it
    into your rectum. Once inserted, the switch should be able to pass
    traffic from both subnets without the need to configure a separate
    gateway.

  3. Re: Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible?

    YADER.CELL@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a question that I am not sure if it possible, please advise.
    >
    > Here is the scenario.
    >
    > I have a Wireless Cisco Controller model 4400, this device needs to be
    > connected to the same VLAN in my layer 3 Switch ( HP 54850A ) in order
    > for communication with the access points across the network (LWAAP)
    >

    > In the Controller, I have setup two WLAN.
    >
    > 1. CompanyWiFi
    > 2. CustomerWiFi
    >
    > The companyWiFi SSID hands over the regular network IP address for
    > example 192.168.0.X
    > if you Connect to the CustomerWiFi you get the IP range of 172.16.0.X
    >
    > Since the controller is connected to the same L3 Switch, same VLAN..
    > only the 192.18x.0.X is currently working and being router correctly.
    > The 172.16.0.X range is not being routed correctly. This is where my
    > question arises.
    >

    > Is it possible to have two separate gateway on the same VLAN and
    > specify a GW to use according to the source IP?

    define a secondary adress on your L3 switch in the same vlan interface

    from cisco sample ( I don't know hp l3 )
    interface Vlan999
    ip address 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.0 secondary
    ip address 172.20.176.254 255.255.255.0

    > for example.
    >
    > 192.168.0.x >>>> 192.168.0.254
    > 172.16.0.x >>>>>>>> 172.16.0.254
    >
    > I was thinking of connecting a linux firewall/router to the same VLAN
    > with the GW IP address of 172.16.0.254 , hence only the 172.16.0.X
    > will route through the linux box, everything else the ( 192.168.X )
    > will exit out of the 192.168.0.254 GW.
    >

    > The other solution I was thinking is to add a Router inbetween the
    > Controller and the L3 Switch. Have the router with multiple nic and
    > let it do the routing. The L3 Switch will only contain the Vlans
    > which would be properly mapped via the router.
    >

    > Any advise on this scenarion, would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Yader

  4. Re: Two Separate gateway same VLan.. Possible?

    YADER.CELL@gmail.com wrote:
    | Hi there,
    |
    | I have a question that I am not sure if it possible, please advise.
    |
    | Here is the scenario.
    |
    | I have a Wireless Cisco Controller model 4400, this device needs to be
    | connected to the same VLAN in my layer 3 Switch ( HP 54850A ) in order
    | for communication with the access points across the network (LWAAP)
    |

    | In the Controller, I have setup two WLAN.
    |
    | 1. CompanyWiFi
    | 2. CustomerWiFi
    |
    | The companyWiFi SSID hands over the regular network IP address for
    | example 192.168.0.X
    | if you Connect to the CustomerWiFi you get the IP range of 172.16.0.X
    |
    | Since the controller is connected to the same L3 Switch, same VLAN..
    | only the 192.18x.0.X is currently working and being router correctly.
    | The 172.16.0.X range is not being routed correctly. This is where my
    | question arises.
    |

    | Is it possible to have two separate gateway on the same VLAN and
    | specify a GW to use according to the source IP?
    |
    | for example.
    |
    | 192.168.0.x >>>> 192.168.0.254
    | 172.16.0.x >>>>>>>> 172.16.0.254
    |
    | I was thinking of connecting a linux firewall/router to the same VLAN
    | with the GW IP address of 172.16.0.254 , hence only the 172.16.0.X
    | will route through the linux box, everything else the ( 192.168.X )
    | will exit out of the 192.168.0.254 GW.
    |

    | The other solution I was thinking is to add a Router inbetween the
    | Controller and the L3 Switch. Have the router with multiple nic and
    | let it do the routing. The L3 Switch will only contain the Vlans
    | which would be properly mapped via the router.
    |

    | Any advise on this scenarion, would be highly appreciated.
    |
    | Yader

    I think I just did something similar, and posted a question a few days
    ago. "redhat FC8 routing problem"

    Its out of the context of vlans but it would seem that you could
    configure the host to use whatever gateway you wanted, as long as the
    host has a route to the gateway.

    (refer to other thread for diagram)

+ Reply to Thread