Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces) - Networking

This is a discussion on Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces) - Networking ; Dear all, I wish to allocate many (ten of thousands) 'net_device's, for a virtual interfaces application I'm looking for references this capability. -. I know vconfig target ~4K interfaces I need/wish many more any numbers? refernce? Best regards ++Tal...

  1. Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    Dear all,

    I wish to allocate many (ten of thousands) 'net_device's, for a
    virtual interfaces application
    I'm looking for references this capability.

    -. I know vconfig target ~4K interfaces
    I need/wish many more

    any numbers? refernce?

    Best regards
    ++Tal

  2. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    On Jan 28, 1:47 am, tal.omer...@gmail.com wrote:

    > I wish to allocate many (ten of thousands) 'net_device's, for a
    > virtual interfaces application
    > I'm looking for references this capability.

    What is your outer problem? It's extremely unlikely creating tens of
    thousands of devices is the correct solution to it.

    DS

  3. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    On Jan 28, 2:46*pm, David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 1:47 am, tal.omer...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I wish to allocate many (ten of thousands) 'net_device's, for a
    > > virtual interfaces application
    > > I'm looking for references this capability.

    > What is your outer problem? It's extremely unlikely creating tens of
    > thousands of devices is the correct solution to it.
    >
    > DS

    Hi David

    I wish to build a system with many external virtual interfaces.
    Each virtual interface, encapsulate something (service/user/...).

    A good solution will be: create one physical interface.
    Many "virtual" interface using this one physical interface.
    This is similar solution to 8021q/vconfig - one physical with many
    "logical".

    The problems I suspect:
    1. "net_device" is big structure with many un-needed information
    This may cause problems in scaling
    2. "net_device" is saved in various search-data-structure.
    This may cause problems in scaling
    Others? info?

    Regards,
    ++Tal

  4. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    On Jan 28, 5:17 am, tal.omer...@gmail.com wrote:

    > I wish to build a system with many external virtual interfaces.
    > Each virtual interface, encapsulate something (service/user/...).

    That really doesn't make any sense. Why would a service or a user need
    its own virtual interface?

    > A good solution will be: create one physical interface.
    > Many "virtual" interface using this one physical interface.
    > This is similar solution to 8021q/vconfig - one physical with many
    > "logical".
    >
    > The problems I suspect:
    > 1. "net_device" is big structure with many un-needed information
    > This may cause problems in scaling
    > 2. "net_device" is saved in various search-data-structure.
    > This may cause problems in scaling
    > Others? info?

    Right, so you are going about this the wrong way.

    DS

  5. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    > I wish to build a system with many external virtual interfaces.
    > Each virtual interface, encapsulate something (service/user/...).

    Each IP adress already provides you with about 64K "virtual TCP
    interfaces" (the port number). That'll be a lot cheaper than net_devices.

    Stefan

  6. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    On Jan 28, 10:27*pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > > I wish to build a system with many external virtual interfaces.
    > > Each virtual interface, encapsulate something (service/user/...).

    > Each IP adress already provides you with about 64K "virtual TCP
    > interfaces" (the port number). *That'll be a lot cheaper than net_devices.
    >
    > * * * * Stefan

    Not sure that this will work for me, since not all targets can be
    modules as
    "virtual TCP interface". Thanks for the idea.

    I still wish to target the "interface-scheme".
    I am still looking for "net_device" scalability issues.

    ++Tal

  7. Re: Allocating many 'net_device's (virtual interfaces)

    On Jan 28, 10:27*pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > > I wish to build a system with many external virtual interfaces.
    > > Each virtual interface, encapsulate something (service/user/...).

    > Each IP adress already provides you with about 64K "virtual TCP
    > interfaces" (the port number). *That'll be a lot cheaper than net_devices.
    >
    > * * * * Stefan

    Hi, as I get in: 802.1q
    using vconfig create a net_device on top of the physical interface.
    Thus, using 4 real-NICs I can create 4x4K vlan interfaces (16K).
    Any knowledge/ref to that?

    Regards,
    ++Tal

+ Reply to Thread