DNS & DHCPD - Networking

This is a discussion on DNS & DHCPD - Networking ; Hello All I have DNS And dhcpd it's work in my rhel5 and have rhel5 , rhel4 , suse Enterprise server , windows XP all of my client have ip from dhcpd but I need to register them auto in ...

  1. DNS & DHCPD

    Hello All
    I have DNS And dhcpd it's work in my rhel5 and have
    rhel5 , rhel4 , suse Enterprise server , windows XP
    all of my client have ip from dhcpd but I need to register them auto
    in my DNS how that please help
    thanks

  2. Re: DNS & DHCPD

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:09:07 -0800, Hosam wrote:

    > I have DNS And dhcpd it's work in my rhel5 and have
    > rhel5 , rhel4 , suse Enterprise server , windows XP
    > all of my client have ip from dhcpd but I need to register them auto
    > in my DNS how that please help

    Google "dynamic dns site:ietf.org"

  3. Re: DNS & DHCPD

    On Jan 27, 12:09 pm, Hosam wrote:
    > Hello All
    > I have DNS And dhcpd it's work in my rhel5 and have
    > rhel5 , rhel4 , suse Enterprise server , windows XP
    > all of my client have ip from dhcpd but I need to register them auto
    > in my DNS how that please help
    > thanks

    In your dhcpd.conf file, add in
    ddns-domainname "your.domain.name";
    ddns-update-style interim;
    ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa";
    ignore client-updates;
    key "rndc-key" {
    algorithm hmac-md5;
    secret "your rndc secret key value goes here";
    };
    zone your.domain.name. {
    primary 127.0.0.1;
    key "rndc-key";
    }
    zone your.reverse.zone.inaddr.arpa. {
    primary 127.0.0.1;
    key "rndc-key";
    }

    Substituting, of course, for the proper values for your domain name,
    your rndc secret key, your primary DNS server's IP address, and your
    zone and reverse zone mapping names.

    IIRC, you'll also have to set the update-policy values in your
    named.conf zone definitions

  4. Re: DNS & DHCPD

    > I have DNS And dhcpd it's work in my rhel5 and have
    > rhel5 , rhel4 , suse Enterprise server , windows XP
    > all of my client have ip from dhcpd but I need to register them auto
    > in my DNS how that please help

    Depends on the DHCP and DNS servers and the DNS clients as well.
    If you use dnsmasq as the DHCP&DNS server, then it'll do
    that automatically. I heard other DHCP servers can do that as well by
    communicating with some other DNS server.

    Of course, the clients need to provide the name they want to get
    (unless you want to decide this centrally, which can be done as well,
    obviously). With Debian clients, you just ned to edit the
    /etc/dhclient.conf file and add "send host-name "";".

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread