samba drive not accessible unless iptables is stopped - Networking

This is a discussion on samba drive not accessible unless iptables is stopped - Networking ; iptables is disabled at my Fedora core 6 linux PC, which can be confirmed by these commands: # system-config-securitylevel # ps -ef|grep iptable root 3170 2926 0 10:15 pts/2 00:00:00 grep iptable However, my windows PC cannot access a linux ...

  1. samba drive not accessible unless iptables is stopped

    iptables is disabled at my Fedora core 6 linux PC, which can be
    confirmed by these commands:
    # system-config-securitylevel
    # ps -ef|grep iptable
    root 3170 2926 0 10:15 pts/2 00:00:00 grep iptable

    However, my windows PC cannot access a linux drive through samba
    unless iptables is stopped on the linux PC.
    (or enable the check box to open the ports for samba in system-config-
    security).
    # service iptables stop
    Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]
    Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter [ OK ]
    Unloading iptables modules: [ OK ]

    The iptables service is already disabled, so why it still block samba?
    i.e. Why it need to be stopped?

  2. Re: samba drive not accessible unless iptables is stopped

    wong_powah@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > iptables is disabled at my Fedora core 6 linux PC, which can be
    > confirmed by these commands:
    > # system-config-securitylevel
    > # ps -ef|grep iptable
    > root 3170 2926 0 10:15 pts/2 00:00:00 grep iptable
    >
    > However, my windows PC cannot access a linux drive through samba
    > unless iptables is stopped on the linux PC.
    > (or enable the check box to open the ports for samba in system-config-
    > security).
    > # service iptables stop
    > Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]
    > Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter [ OK ]
    > Unloading iptables modules: [ OK ]
    >
    > The iptables service is already disabled, so why it still block samba?
    > i.e. Why it need to be stopped?

    iptables is a user-level interface to the kernel IP filtering
    mechanisms. It does not run as a daemon so you won't normally see it
    running as a process.

    It you want to see the current filtering rules, type (as root):

    iptables -L

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread