Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk - Networking

This is a discussion on Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk - Networking ; Hello, While I'm not a Linux user, I have a keen interest in using a Linux boot disk to acess data on a PC that has a Windows Pro OS installed. Is there such a utility (a boot disk) that ...

  1. Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk

    Hello,

    While I'm not a Linux user, I have a keen interest in using a Linux
    boot disk to acess data on a PC that has a Windows Pro OS installed.
    Is there
    such a utility (a boot disk) that would boot up and set up network
    connections and allow tech support personnel to connect to a another
    computer via the Internet to connect and remotely control it, or at
    the very least access the file system, so that if a file were corrupt,
    it could be recopied or replaced.

    What specific distros of Linux have this capability?

    Thanks for any hints or other insight into this.

  2. Re: Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk

    On 2008-01-23, eljainc wrote:

    > While I'm not a Linux user, I have a keen interest in using a Linux
    > boot disk to acess data on a PC that has a Windows Pro OS installed.
    > Is there
    > such a utility (a boot disk) that would boot up and set up network
    > connections and allow tech support personnel to connect to a another
    > computer via the Internet to connect and remotely control it, or at
    > the very least access the file system, so that if a file were corrupt,
    > it could be recopied or replaced.
    >
    > What specific distros of Linux have this capability?

    EBCD is one of many distros which can do something like this:

    http://www.ebcd.pcministry.com/

    Many other live-CD distros support mounting an NTFS partition (at least
    read-only), and many of them also support configuring an sshd to allow
    file copying over the network. You might need some tweaking to get the
    IP address assigned the way you want (e.g., if you need a static IP, or
    if you want to send mail to notify you of the IP you've obtained from
    the DHCP server).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk

    Try the "System Rescue CD" (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page)

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-01-23, eljainc wrote:
    >
    >> While I'm not a Linux user, I have a keen interest in using a Linux
    >> boot disk to acess data on a PC that has a Windows Pro OS installed.
    >> Is there
    >> such a utility (a boot disk) that would boot up and set up network
    >> connections and allow tech support personnel to connect to a another
    >> computer via the Internet to connect and remotely control it, or at
    >> the very least access the file system, so that if a file were corrupt,
    >> it could be recopied or replaced.

    > Try the "System Rescue CD" (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page)

    I've done this many times, usually with the cd-based Linux distribution
    'Knoppix', but you can do it with any cd-based linux distro. Most major
    distributions now have 'Live' versions of the distribution, that you can
    burn and then boot to the cd (SuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora all do). Once the cd
    boots, you can activate networking and mount the hard drive to have
    access to the data. I very often will do an XP reload like this:
    - Boot to Knoppix, activate ethernet, mount hard drive
    - Copy all personal data to share on a local server
    - Reboot to XP cd, reformat/reload
    - Copy personal data back onto the system from the server

  5. Re: Linux/UNIX remote acess bootdisk

    On Feb 23, 11:15 pm, Adam Haeder wrote:
    > John Thompson wrote:
    > > On 2008-01-23,eljainc wrote:

    > >> While I'm not a Linux user, I have a keen interest in using a Linux
    > >> boot disk to acess data on a PC that has a Windows Pro OS installed.
    > >> Is there
    > >> such a utility (a boot disk) that would boot up and set up network
    > >> connections and allow tech support personnel to connect to a another
    > >> computer via the Internet to connect and remotely control it, or at
    > >> the very least access the file system, so that if a file were corrupt,
    > >> it could be recopied or replaced.

    > > Try the "System Rescue CD" (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page)

    > I've done this many times, usually with the cd-based Linux distribution
    > 'Knoppix', but you can do it with any cd-based linux distro. Most major
    > distributions now have 'Live' versions of the distribution, that you can
    > burn and then boot to the cd (SuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora all do). Once the cd
    > boots, you can activate networking and mount the hard drive to have
    > access to the data. I very often will do an XP reload like this:
    > - Boot to Knoppix, activate ethernet, mount hard drive
    > - Copy all personal data to share on a local server
    > - Reboot to XP cd, reformat/reload
    > - Copy personal data back onto the system from the server

    Thanks for the reply.

    Let me get this right, I could have a partition on the end users hard
    drive or a Live version of a Linux distro,
    like Knoppix that could boot and be ready to accept a remote request
    from a tech support remote control session?

    I would like a "dumbed" down version of this so that the end user
    could "with minimal user intervention" allow
    a remote desktop connection to his/her PC.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread