Bridging with linux between two VLANs - Networking

This is a discussion on Bridging with linux between two VLANs - Networking ; Hello, I'm trying to create a bridge between two VLANs (vid 1, vid 2). The linux box has two NICs connected to the same switch. When activating the bridge it seems like there's a loop and the computer is getting ...

  1. Bridging with linux between two VLANs

    Hello,
    I'm trying to create a bridge between two VLANs (vid 1, vid 2).
    The linux box has two NICs connected to the same switch.
    When activating the bridge it seems like there's a loop and the
    computer is getting lots of traffic.

    I tried another approach as well:
    I tried setting up VLAN trunking on one port and use only one NIC,
    then add two VLANs over it (using the vlan utils), caused the same
    effect.

    Any idea what could be causing this?
    AFAIK, VLAN is like a seperate network, why should this be causing a
    loop? shouldn't there be a seperation between the two VLANs? (on the
    switch level)

    Thanks for any replies,
    Omri.

  2. Re: Bridging with linux between two VLANs

    On Jan 21, 12:37 pm, omri...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to create a bridge between two VLANs (vid 1, vid 2).
    > The linux box has two NICs connected to the same switch.
    > When activating the bridge it seems like there's a loop and the
    > computer is getting lots of traffic.
    >
    > I tried another approach as well:
    > I tried setting up VLAN trunking on one port and use only one NIC,
    > then add two VLANs over it (using the vlan utils), caused the same
    > effect.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    > AFAIK, VLAN is like a seperate network, why should this be causing a
    > loop? shouldn't there be a seperation between the two VLANs? (on the
    > switch level)

    Obviously, you misconfigured something. With as little detail as you
    gave, I'm not sure how we're supposed to figure out what the problem
    is.

    If you use two network interface, put one in each VLAN. If you use a
    single interface, make sure to only bridge the VLAN interfaces, not
    the physical one.

    DS

  3. Re: Bridging with linux between two VLANs

    > Obviously, you misconfigured something. With as little detail as you
    > gave, I'm not sure how we're supposed to figure out what the problem
    > is.
    >
    > If you use two network interface, put one in each VLAN. If you use a
    > single interface, make sure to only bridge the VLAN interfaces, not
    > the physical one.
    >
    > DS

    First of all, sorry for the late reply.

    When trying the two-interface mode, I did put each interface on a
    separate VLAN.
    About the VLAN-utils approach, I did bridge the VLANs interfaces and
    not the NICs themselves.

    Same problem appears when connecting two VLANs (physically) together
    with a CAT5 cable (two ports on switch, two different VLANs)

    P.S.: The switch is Nortell Business Policy Switch 2000.

    Regards,
    Omri Bahumi.

+ Reply to Thread