LDAP error message? (automount schema) - Networking

This is a discussion on LDAP error message? (automount schema) - Networking ; I've been working on getting an LDAP server up and running, in an attempt to replace my old NIS service. I've used the following tutorial to get much of the service up and running -- in particular getting user names ...

  1. LDAP error message? (automount schema)

    I've been working on getting an LDAP server up and running, in an
    attempt to replace my old NIS service. I've used the following tutorial
    to get much of the service up and running -- in particular getting user
    names and passwords working so I can have a common authentication model.

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8119

    I'm hoping at some point to be able to tie in LDAP and Samba so I can
    unify my logins across both Linux and Windows, but that's another thread...

    The one problem I'm stuck on however is specifying the automount
    sources. I was able to do this in NIS by specifying the automount maps,
    in particular for auto.home.

    I am building this on a reasonably clean install of a Fedora-7
    server. Following the tutorial, I've created the following
    auto.master.ldif:

    ================================
    dn: ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    objectClass: top
    objectClass: automountMap
    ou: auto.master

    dn: cn=/h,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    objectClass: automount
    automountInformation: ldapu=auto.home,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    cn: /h

    dn: cn=/share,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    objectClass: automount
    automountInformation: ldapu=auto.misc,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    cn: /share
    ================================

    However, when I try to add the entries, I get the following:

    # ldapadd -a -W -x -D "cn=root,dc=bbaggins,dc=net" -f ~/auto.master.ldif
    Enter LDAP Password:
    adding new entry "ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net"
    ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
    additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax

    The schemas which I am including in the slapd.conf file are:
    include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
    include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
    include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
    include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
    include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
    include /etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema

    Any ideas where I might be missing something???

    --
    Chuck Tryon
    at yahoo.com / chucktryon

  2. Re: LDAP error message? (automount schema)

    Charles> I've been working on getting an LDAP server up and running, inan
    Charles> attempt to replace my old NIS service. I've used the following
    Charles> tutorial to get much of the service up and running -- in particular
    Charles> getting user names and passwords working so I can have a common
    Charles> authentication model.

    Charles> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8119

    Charles> I'm hoping at some point to be able to tie in LDAP and Samba so I can
    Charles> unify my logins across both Linux and Windows, but that's another
    Charles> thread...

    Charles> The one problem I'm stuck on however is specifying the automount
    Charles> sources. I was able to do this in NIS by specifying the automount
    Charles> maps, in particular for auto.home.

    Charles> I am building this on a reasonably clean install of a Fedora-7
    Charles> server. Following the tutorial, I've created the following
    Charles> auto.master.ldif:

    Charles> ================================
    Charles> dn: ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    Charles> objectClass: top
    Charles> objectClass: automountMap
    Charles> ou: auto.master

    Charles> dn: cn=/h,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    Charles> objectClass: automount
    Charles> automountInformation: ldapu=auto.home,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    Charles> cn: /h

    Charles> dn: cn=/share,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    Charles> objectClass: automount
    Charles> automountInformation: ldapu=auto.misc,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    Charles> cn: /share
    Charles> ================================

    Charles> However, when I try to add the entries, I get the following:

    Charles> # ldapadd -a -W -x -D "cn=root,dc=bbaggins,dc=net" -f ~/auto.master.ldif
    Charles> Enter LDAP Password:
    Charles> adding new entry "ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net"
    Charles> ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
    Charles> additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax

    Charles> The schemas which I am including in the slapd.conf file are:
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
    Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema

    Charles> Any ideas where I might be missing something???

    IIRC, none of the above schemas, has "automountMap" type defined. You
    need to include a schema which "automountMap" type defined. Check out
    the configuration at URL you mentioned.

    HTH
    - --
    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

  3. Re: LDAP error message? (automount schema)

    Hi Charles,
    Find complete LDAP book here:
    http://jumbooks.com/books/Computers%...ory%20services

    It may help you.

    On Jan 20, 8:39 am, Charles Tryon wrote:
    > I've been working on getting an LDAP server up and running, in an
    > attempt to replace my old NIS service. I've used the following tutorial
    > to get much of the service up and running -- in particular getting user
    > names and passwords working so I can have a common authentication model.
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8119
    >
    > I'm hoping at some point to be able to tie in LDAP and Samba so I can
    > unify my logins across both Linux and Windows, but that's another thread...
    >
    > The one problem I'm stuck on however is specifying the automount
    > sources. I was able to do this in NIS by specifying the automount maps,
    > in particular for auto.home.
    >
    > I am building this on a reasonably clean install of a Fedora-7
    > server. Following the tutorial, I've created the following
    > auto.master.ldif:
    >
    > ================================
    > dn: ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > objectClass: top
    > objectClass: automountMap
    > ou: auto.master
    >
    > dn: cn=/h,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > objectClass: automount
    > automountInformation: ldapu=auto.home,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > cn: /h
    >
    > dn: cn=/share,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > objectClass: automount
    > automountInformation: ldapu=auto.misc,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > cn: /share
    > ================================
    >
    > However, when I try to add the entries, I get the following:
    >
    > # ldapadd -a -W -x -D "cn=root,dc=bbaggins,dc=net" -f ~/auto.master.ldif
    > Enter LDAP Password:
    > adding new entry "ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net"
    > ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
    > additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax
    >
    > The schemas which I am including in the slapd.conf file are:
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
    > include /etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
    >
    > Any ideas where I might be missing something???
    >
    > --
    > Chuck Tryon
    > at yahoo.com / chucktryon

  4. Re: LDAP error message? (automount schema)

    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wrote:

    > Charles> I've been working on getting an LDAP server up and running, in an
    > Charles> attempt to replace my old NIS service. I've used the following
    > Charles> tutorial to get much of the service up and running -- in particular
    > Charles> getting user names and passwords working so I can have a common
    > Charles> authentication model.
    >
    > Charles> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8119
    >
    > Charles> I'm hoping at some point to be able to tie in LDAP and Samba so I can
    > Charles> unify my logins across both Linux and Windows, but that's another
    > Charles> thread...
    >
    > Charles> The one problem I'm stuck on however is specifying the automount
    > Charles> sources. I was able to do this in NIS by specifying the automount
    > Charles> maps, in particular for auto.home.
    >
    > Charles> I am building this on a reasonably clean install of a Fedora-7
    > Charles> server. Following the tutorial, I've created the following
    > Charles> auto.master.ldif:
    >
    > Charles> ================================
    > Charles> dn: ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > Charles> objectClass: top
    > Charles> objectClass: automountMap
    > Charles> ou: auto.master
    >
    > Charles> dn: cn=/h,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > Charles> objectClass: automount
    > Charles> automountInformation: ldapu=auto.home,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > Charles> cn: /h
    >
    > Charles> dn: cn=/share,ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > Charles> objectClass: automount
    > Charles> automountInformation: ldapu=auto.misc,dc=bbaggins,dc=net
    > Charles> cn: /share
    > Charles> ================================
    >
    > Charles> However, when I try to add the entries, I get the following:
    >

    > Charles> # ldapadd -a -W -x -D "cn=root,dc=bbaggins,dc=net" -f ~/auto.master.ldif
    > Charles> Enter LDAP Password:
    > Charles> adding new entry "ou=auto.master,dc=bbaggins,dc=net"
    > Charles> ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
    > Charles> additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax
    >

    > Charles> The schemas which I am including in the slapd.conf file are:
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema
    > Charles> include /etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
    >
    > Charles> Any ideas where I might be missing something???
    >
    > IIRC, none of the above schemas, has "automountMap" type defined. You
    > need to include a schema which "automountMap" type defined. Check out
    > the configuration at URL you mentioned.

    After doing some more in-depth recursive greps, I discovered that there
    was a .../schema/redhat/autofs.schema file which I have not included in
    my slapd.conf file. This still hasn't solved my problem with being able
    to add autofs entries, but it's a step closer. I think I still just
    have to figure out the exact entries the schema is looking for in the
    LDIF file.

    --
    Chuck Tryon

+ Reply to Thread