HP nc4000 - Networking

This is a discussion on HP nc4000 - Networking ; My nc4000 wireless networking was working just fine on my dual boot Mandriva/WinXP machine. Then, I went over to the dark side (booted XP) and noticed that the wireless was no longer working. I redid the manual setup of the ...

  1. HP nc4000

    My nc4000 wireless networking was working just fine on my dual boot
    Mandriva/WinXP machine. Then, I went over to the dark side (booted XP)
    and noticed that the wireless was no longer working. I redid the manual
    setup of the card: static IP, static DNS servers, SSID, and all that.
    My wireless router (WRT54G) is detected with good signal strength. But,
    I couldn't access the net at all.

    So, I rebooted back into Linux. Doh! Now my Linux wireless won't work.
    When the system boots, it says it starts ath0. But, when I login the
    network icon in my taskbar says that ath0 isn't running. So, I restart
    it from the taskbar, and it fires right up, again showing great signal
    strength. At least on Linux I don't have to reprogram the IP, DNS, or
    any of that. All my configuration seems intact. But again, I can't
    even ping to other hosts in my house on the same 192.168.1.0 network!?
    Oh, 'route -n' shows a reasonable routing table, with the right
    defaults, through the right device, with an expected netmask.

    I remember back to when I first installed Linux on this machine, and how
    the networking wouldn't work until under Linux until I got it working on
    Windows. But, I've redone everything I did back then, and it still
    doesn't work.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: HP nc4000

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > My nc4000 wireless networking was working just fine on my dual boot
    > Mandriva/WinXP machine. Then, I went over to the dark side (booted XP)
    > and noticed that the wireless was no longer working. I redid the manual
    > setup of the card: static IP, static DNS servers, SSID, and all that.
    > My wireless router (WRT54G) is detected with good signal strength. But,
    > I couldn't access the net at all.
    >
    > So, I rebooted back into Linux. Doh! Now my Linux wireless won't work.
    > When the system boots, it says it starts ath0. But, when I login the
    > network icon in my taskbar says that ath0 isn't running. So, I restart
    > it from the taskbar, and it fires right up, again showing great signal
    > strength. At least on Linux I don't have to reprogram the IP, DNS, or
    > any of that. All my configuration seems intact. But again, I can't
    > even ping to other hosts in my house on the same 192.168.1.0 network!?
    > Oh, 'route -n' shows a reasonable routing table, with the right
    > defaults, through the right device, with an expected netmask.
    >
    > I remember back to when I first installed Linux on this machine, and how
    > the networking wouldn't work until under Linux until I got it working on
    > Windows. But, I've redone everything I did back then, and it still
    > doesn't work.

    I'm not sure why, but when the wireless system gets all messed up at
    home, if I bring it to work and let it negotiate with the routers at
    work, it will, and after that it will negotiate with my home router.
    During all of this I never alter any of the network configuration.

    Does this make ANY sense to anyone?

    Thanks...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  3. Re: HP nc4000

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > My nc4000 wireless networking was working just fine on my dual boot
    > > Mandriva/WinXP machine. Then, I went over to the dark side (booted XP)
    > > and noticed that the wireless was no longer working. I redid the manual
    > > setup of the card: static IP, static DNS servers, SSID, and all that.
    > > My wireless router (WRT54G) is detected with good signal strength. But,
    > > I couldn't access the net at all.
    > >
    > > So, I rebooted back into Linux. Doh! Now my Linux wireless won't work.
    > > When the system boots, it says it starts ath0. But, when I login the
    > > network icon in my taskbar says that ath0 isn't running. So, I restart
    > > it from the taskbar, and it fires right up, again showing great signal
    > > strength. At least on Linux I don't have to reprogram the IP, DNS, or
    > > any of that. All my configuration seems intact. But again, I can't
    > > even ping to other hosts in my house on the same 192.168.1.0 network!?
    > > Oh, 'route -n' shows a reasonable routing table, with the right
    > > defaults, through the right device, with an expected netmask.
    > >
    > > I remember back to when I first installed Linux on this machine, and how
    > > the networking wouldn't work until under Linux until I got it working on
    > > Windows. But, I've redone everything I did back then, and it still
    > > doesn't work.

    > I'm not sure why, but when the wireless system gets all messed up at
    > home, if I bring it to work and let it negotiate with the routers at
    > work, it will, and after that it will negotiate with my home router.
    > During all of this I never alter any of the network configuration.
    >
    > Does this make ANY sense to anyone?

    After playing with this for quite a while now all I can say is that if
    Windows doesn't leave the wireless card in the right state, then Linux
    can't use the wireless card. At least I couldn't get Linux to operate
    the card, no matter what I tried. But, when Windows leaves the wireless
    card in the right state, then Linux can do everything normal with the
    card. It's sort of frustrating. That means I need to keep Windows on
    the machine just to make sure I can repair the wireless, if it were to
    get messed up somehow.

    Sigh....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.