    Hello everyone!
    Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

  2. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
    questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:53:24 -0800 (PST), MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Hello everyone!
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"

    put avahi daemon in the first box

    and moe trin in the author box.

    Click the Zeroconf/avahi link.

  4. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On Jan 16, 12:14 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:53:24 -0800 (PST), MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > > Hello everyone!
    > > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    > You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >
    > put avahi daemon in the first box
    >
    > and moe trin in the author box.
    >
    > Click the Zeroconf/avahi link.

    Thank you very much for the tip.
    I did the above mentioned thing. Reading it and would let you know
    how's it.

    Regards

  5. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:53:24 -0800 (PST), MohsinHijazee wrote:
    >> Hello everyone!
    >> Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    > You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"

    Not just Microsoft. Apple have put a lot of effort into the Zeroconf
    idea now and Sun has also contributed.

    --
    Bruce

    I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
    proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick

  6. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Bruce Richardson wrote:

    >Bit Twister wrote:

    >> MohsinHijazee wrote:

    >>> Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    >> You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"

    >Not just Microsoft. Apple have put a lot of effort into the Zeroconf
    >idea now and Sun has also contributed.

    Apple originated the idea - as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour" in 1997. The
    idea was for those times when two people met somewhere, and wanted to
    trade files without having a real network available. See the original
    version of draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-01.txt from November
    2000.

    Microsoft thought the concept was great, as it allowed systems to
    work when the MSCE (or the average user) had so screwed up the network
    configurations that even windoze wouldn't work - and this was added to
    win98. Microsoft joined the linklocal working group in 2001 so that
    their version would be considered.

    Sun (actually Sun Germany) joined later still, but it appears they
    were adding sanity checking. Compare the linklocal-04 and
    linklocal-07 releases of the draft. For what it's worth, there were
    other companies represented on the linklocal working group, such as
    Motorola. The main result of this collaboration was RFC3927.

    3927 Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses. S. Cheshire,
    B. Aboba, E. Guttman. May 2005. (Format: TXT=83102 bytes)

    But this didn't deal with name resolution. For that, Apple and
    microsoft came up with incompatible solutions, using different IP
    addresses and port numbers[1] and even different packet formats. These
    were documented in two additional draft families -
    draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns from microsoft went through (at least) 47
    releases before being introduced as an INFORMATION RFC (RFC4795 - which
    describes how it works, but doesn't specify anything meant as a
    standard), while Apple worked on draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns
    which went through six releases before disappearing). Avahi is one of
    several free implementations of the Apple proposal, and therefore isn't
    compatible with the windoze version (you'd need to be running Samba and
    NETBIOS name resolution for windoze). Both Apple and microsoft warn
    that the name service is insecure, suggest different name limitations[2]
    though intentionally ignoring those limits, and then drop the fireball
    into your lap by saying that you should use some other security
    mechanism, but neither bother to include ANY such mechanism.

    Old guy
    [1] Apple used 224.0.0.251 or its IPv6 equivalent FF02::FB and port
    5353, while microsoft uses 224.0.0.252 or its IPv6 equivalent
    FF02::1:3 and port 5355.

    [2] Apple proposed limiting name resolution to names ending in .local
    ONLY, while microsoft proposed using "single-label names" (which is
    win-babble for names without a 'dot'). Neither actually implemented
    these limitations because they knew lusers would not follow these
    limits even if they were aware of them.

  7. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On Jan 18, 5:44 am, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
> [...]

    > NETBIOS name resolution for windoze). Both Apple and microsoft warn
    > that the name service is insecure, suggest different name limitations[2]
    > though intentionally ignoring those limits, and then drop the fireball
    > into your lap by saying that you should use some other security
    > mechanism, but neither bother to include ANY such mechanism.
    >
    > Old guy
    > [1] Apple used 224.0.0.251 or its IPv6 equivalent FF02::FB and port
    > 5353, while microsoft uses 224.0.0.252 or its IPv6 equivalent
    > FF02::1:3 and port 5355.
    >
    > [2] Apple proposed limiting name resolution to names ending in .local
    > ONLY, while microsoft proposed using "single-label names" (which is
    > win-babble for names without a 'dot'). Neither actually implemented
    > these limitations because they knew lusers would not follow these

    Thank you very much! Very elaborate explanation!

  8. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Keller View Post
    On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
    questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)
    I know this is an old post, but what a jerkoff answer! This is one of the reasons people don't adopt linux and prefer to stay with windows.

  9. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    I am always amazed at the energy the most useless people expend being obnoxious. The moron that posted "Doesn't Google work for you" took the time and energy to insult more than just the guy asking the question, but everyone else that took the time to read this forum entry.

    My apologies to anyone offended except of course the guy this post is directed at.

  10. Thumbs down Re: What is avahi daemon?

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
    questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

    --keith
    Hey Keith,

    Does not being a jerk work in your universe?

    I registered here to let you know that I found this thread in [drumroll] Google search results. Oh the irony. It was the second result for 'avahi-daemon', and the one that looked the most relevant from the blurb.

    You see, searching Google only works if people actually post answers to questions in the first place.

    Surely you know what recursion is? And infinite loops? Those are bad. You see, your answering the OPs question would have been a well-needed branch. If I and everyone else treated people on forums in your manner, we would be stuck googling just to be told to google. And so on.

    So next time you find a question "obvious" and don't want to answer it, do the gentlemanly and logical thing: keep your hands off of your keyboard, and let someone with some sense handle it.

    Thanks,
    Scott

  11. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    [QUOTE=unix;837207]On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
    questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

    --keith

    -

    I wondered what this was when it came in my linux update today so I googled it and found it it is a kind of wooly lemur that lives in Madagascar. Not sure what they do in there, but I am guessing they are pounding out incomprehensible man pages. Linux is so neat! And linux users so helpful!

  12. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    Avahi is a fully LGPL framework for Multicast DNS Service Discovery. It allows programs to publish and discover services and hosts running on a local network with no specific configuration. For example you can plug into a network and instantly find printers to print to, files to look at and people to talk to.

  13. Re: What is avahi daemon?

    On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee wrote:
    > Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

    Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
    questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

    --keith
    Hey keith,
    Google does work even now: Mon-2011-Nov-7.
    Will update you when it stop working .
    Regards,

    GOOGLER
    PS: Yes I registered to Post just to keep you updated.
    You sound so much like those from m$ community...

+ Reply to Thread