What's the point of /mime email ?! - Networking

This is a discussion on What's the point of /mime email ?! - Networking ; From several mailing lists which previously posted good plain text mails, I now receive [apparently crappy] mime format: like with line terminators [apparently random] showing '=0D=0A' ..etc. Q1 - what's their point of not just continuing to use plain text ...

  1. What's the point of /mime email ?!

    From several mailing lists which previously posted good plain
    text mails, I now receive [apparently crappy] mime format:
    like with line terminators [apparently random] showing
    '=0D=0A' ..etc.

    Q1 - what's their point of not just continuing to use plain text ?

    Q2 - how can I decode it after d/l ie. without changing my
    'fetch' programs ?

    'apropos mime' only showed smime, which talks about
    encrypting, which doesn't apply.

    Thanks for any advice on how to fix this spam-like problem.

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: What's the point of /mime email ?!

    problems@gmail wrote:
    > From several mailing lists which previously posted good plain
    > text mails, I now receive [apparently crappy] mime format:
    > like with line terminators [apparently random] showing
    > '=0D=0A' ..etc.

    Very annoying.

    > Q1 - what's their point of not just continuing to use plain text ?

    Probably none except that they switched to using new publishing
    tools that do all the whizbang stuff and that's how they encode
    plain text so it would be conformant on the off chance that someone
    put in something outside of the strict ASCII range.

    > Q2 - how can I decode it after d/l ie. without changing my
    > 'fetch' programs ?

    Not sure of it's current state etc. but "metamail" will decode
    mime messages.

  3. Re: What's the point of /mime email ?!

    problems@gmail writes:

    > From several mailing lists which previously posted good plain
    > text mails, I now receive [apparently crappy] mime format:
    > like with line terminators [apparently random] showing
    > '=0D=0A' ..etc.
    >
    > Q1 - what's their point of not just continuing to use plain text ?

    Dunno (how can I? I've got no idea what mailing lists you're talking
    about, nor their subject matter, nor what people want to post). But,
    mime-encoding allow attachment of other media -- images, videos,
    sound.... and it does it without much overhead (unlike the
    abomination that is html mail).

    > Q2 - how can I decode it after d/l ie. without changing my
    > 'fetch' programs ?

    Generally, this is done in your mail user agent. I use vm (versatile
    mailer) from within emacs, which handles it very, very well. I'm
    actually curious to learn what you use to read your email that it
    doesn't take care of it...

    > 'apropos mime' only showed smime, which talks about
    > encrypting, which doesn't apply.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice on how to fix this spam-like problem.

    This is really pretty much completely not spam-like.

  4. Re: What's the point of /mime email ?!

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:32:30 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >I'm
    >actually curious to learn what you use to read your email that it
    >doesn't take care of it...

    Oberon's mailer apparently (I looked in the header). Nice to come across
    another Oberon user...

    To original poster: You've got the source, add mime capabilty and let me
    have a copy :-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

+ Reply to Thread