Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "optiondomain-name"? - Networking

This is a discussion on Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "optiondomain-name"? - Networking ; I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried either the service doesn't start properly or from Windows the DNS Suffix search order isn't displayed and or set properly. Example scenario. I first set ...

  1. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "optiondomain-name"?

    I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried
    either the service doesn't start properly or from Windows the DNS
    Suffix search order isn't displayed and or set properly. Example
    scenario.

    I first set the dhcpd.conf settings for the multiple names.
    option domain-name "linux.net linux.org";

    Then from Windows PC I run ipconfig /all
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : linux.net linux.org

    Then I run a ping command
    C:\> ping www
    Ping request could not find host www. Please check the name and try
    again.

    As you can it didn't work. However, if the option is set to
    "linux.net" only, then the ping of www works. BTW, www is mapped to
    the IP address of the DNS server from within the /var/named zone file.
    When I ping the FQDN of www.linux.net everything works.

    C:\>ping www.linux.net

    Pinging linux.linux.org [192.168.0.202] with 32 bytes of data:

  2. Re: Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

    On 2008-01-13, tek wrote:
    > I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried

    AFAIK you can specify only one.

    Davide

    --
    Unicode is a wonderful concept in theory. One day I hope to live to see it
    work in practice.

  3. Re: Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davide Bianchi View Post
    On 2008-01-13, tek wrote:
    > I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried

    AFAIK you can specify only one.
    WTF??? Windows DHCP server is supreme peace of software on network services field???? How it can be possible? you can specify two dns domains in windows and not in dhcpd?
    i have same problems as tek. Have tried many variants of syntax, and googling much, but with no result.

  4. Re: Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "optiondomain-name"?

    For those who will find this by way of googling much:

    option "domain-name" is what it says, it was never intended to work for more then one domain name

    If you want to add more then one domain to the domain suffix search list, you'll want to google DHCP option 119

    dnsmasq config file entry:

    dhcp-option=119,example1.com,example2.org,example3.edu

+ Reply to Thread