IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools - Networking

This is a discussion on IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools - Networking ; Hello! Recently, I tried to tunnel IPX packets over a SSH connection in order to play an old DOS game over the internet. The game uses IPX for communication. I had no success using the 'ipxtunnel' (mentioned in the Linux ...

  1. IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools

    Hello!

    Recently, I tried to tunnel IPX packets over a SSH connection in order
    to play an old DOS game over the internet. The game uses IPX for
    communication.

    I had no success using the 'ipxtunnel' (mentioned in the Linux IPX-HOWTO).

    So, my questions are:
    - Is there any alternative to 'ipxtunnel'
    - Are there any IPX diagnosis tools available to check whether or not my
    IPX 'connection' works at all?

    Werner

  2. Re: IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools

    In article ,
    Werner Rudolph wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >Recently, I tried to tunnel IPX packets over a SSH connection in order
    >to play an old DOS game over the internet. The game uses IPX for
    >communication.
    >
    >I had no success using the 'ipxtunnel' (mentioned in the Linux IPX-HOWTO).
    >
    >So, my questions are:
    >- Is there any alternative to 'ipxtunnel'

    You could use IPTUNNEL. You'll need LAN Workplace for DOS if your client
    is DOS or Windows 3.x.

    >- Are there any IPX diagnosis tools available to check whether or not my
    >IPX 'connection' works at all?

    The best bet is to set up a sniffer at both ends and see if the IPX over
    IP is getting from one site to the other (and back)?

    Patrick
    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com

  3. Re: IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools

    Hello,
    Patrick Klos wrote:
    >> - Is there any alternative to 'ipxtunnel'

    > You could use IPTUNNEL. You'll need LAN Workplace for DOS if your client
    > is DOS or Windows 3.x.

    IPTUNNEL is a DOS application, right?

    >> - Are there any IPX diagnosis tools available to check whether or not my
    >> IPX 'connection' works at all?

    > The best bet is to set up a sniffer at both ends and see if the IPX over
    > IP is getting from one site to the other (and back)?

    Which IPX-sniffer can you suggest?

    Werner

  4. Re: IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools

    In article ,
    Werner Rudolph wrote:
    >Hello,
    >Patrick Klos wrote:
    >>> - Is there any alternative to 'ipxtunnel'

    >> You could use IPTUNNEL. You'll need LAN Workplace for DOS if your client
    >> is DOS or Windows 3.x.

    >IPTUNNEL is a DOS application, right?

    Yes. I'm pretty sure it was part of LAN Workplace for DOS.

    >>> - Are there any IPX diagnosis tools available to check whether or not my
    >>> IPX 'connection' works at all?

    > > The best bet is to set up a sniffer at both ends and see if the IPX over
    >> IP is getting from one site to the other (and back)?

    >Which IPX-sniffer can you suggest?

    I'd be surprised if WireShark didn't have support for showing IPX packets?
    If not, there's always PacketView! ;^)