Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows - Networking

This is a discussion on Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows - Networking ; My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my Windows ...

  1. Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my
    Windows laptop.

    The clear text FTP provisioning is working fine, but I'd like to make
    sure that I can provision the phones through encrypted FTP.

    In the past I have been burned by FTP having so many different
    encrypted successors (unlike the nice telnet --> ssh transition).

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/f...winftpserv.htm

    I have tried WarFTP Daemon, but couldn't even connect due to some
    "unknown reson (sic)". The award for the worst possible FTP server
    goes to FileZilla. I am now trying Xlight FTP Sever, but I am not
    clear whether it supports the same type of encryption used in Linux.

    Thanks for any tips and pointers...

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    > provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    > decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my
    > Windows laptop.

    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Do you want to
    transfer a file from your laptop to the server?

    If you have an SSL connection, via a terminal emulator, you can make a
    file transfer using kermit over this connection.

    You do not need an FTP server for this.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:17:15 -0800, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    > provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    > decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my Windows
    > laptop.
    >
    > The clear text FTP provisioning is working fine, but I'd like to make
    > sure that I can provision the phones through encrypted FTP.
    >
    > In the past I have been burned by FTP having so many different encrypted
    > successors (unlike the nice telnet --> ssh transition).
    >
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/ftpfiletransfer/tp/

    aatp_winftpserv.htm

    > I have tried WarFTP Daemon, but couldn't even connect due to some
    > "unknown reson (sic)". The award for the worst possible FTP server goes
    > to FileZilla. I am now trying Xlight FTP Sever, but I am not clear
    > whether it supports the same type of encryption used in Linux.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips and pointers...
    >
    > -Ramon

    Can't understand what you are trying to do.

    If you're trying to transfer files from your laptop to a Linux server,
    then what you need on your laptop is an FTP *client*.

  4. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Jan 11, 12:17 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    > provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    > decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my
    > Windows laptop.
    >
    > The clear text FTP provisioning is working fine, but I'd like to make
    > sure that I can provision the phones through encrypted FTP.
    >
    > In the past I have been burned by FTP having so many different
    > encrypted successors (unlike the nice telnet --> ssh transition).
    >
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/f...atp_winftpserv...
    >
    > I have tried WarFTP Daemon, but couldn't even connect due to some
    > "unknown reson (sic)". The award for the worst possible FTP server
    > goes to FileZilla. I am now trying Xlight FTP Sever, but I am not
    > clear whether it supports the same type of encryption used in Linux.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips and pointers...
    >
    > -Ramon

    This will illustrate some of the many alternatives and variations:

    http://patriot.net/~ramon/Secure-FTPs.png

    Linux uses the one on the top right. I am looking for that, but on
    Windows.

    -RFH

  5. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I
    > have to provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution
    > (until I get a decent server as God intended) is to install an
    > FTP server in my Windows laptop.

    FTP stand for File Transfer Protocol.

    What you want to do is tunneling IP traffic, which can be easyly
    done using SSH. PuTTY is a free SSH Client for Windows, that
    also can tunnel traffic. However it's more an Ad-Hoc solution.

    Probably you're happier using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
    OpenVPN is a widely used solution, which is avaliable for Linux
    and Windows.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  6. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On 11 Jan, 04:17, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > The award for the worst possible FTP server
    > goes to FileZilla.

    Not sure why you think this? I was going to suggest the filezilla
    server, I've found it easy to use and compatible with most variants.

    CrossFTP is well spoken of. Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_servers
    for other info

  7. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    > provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    > decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my
    > Windows laptop.

    I have no idea what is "provisioning" nor why that requires an FTP
    server, but I have still have some suggestions which I hope you'll find
    useful:
    1 - [tongue in cheek, so maybe not that useful] upgrade your laptop to
    GNU/Linux.
    2 - You don't seem constrained by a specific variant of the encrypted
    FTP protocol, so it seems you can choose both the client and the
    server, so maybe `sftp' (which is not exactly an encrypted FTP
    protocol) would work as well. If your firewall only lets you use
    port-25, you can easily run your ssh/sftp daemon on port 25 as well.

    -- Stefan

  8. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Jan 11, 3:56 pm, roberthar...@my-deja.com wrote:
    > On 11 Jan, 04:17, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > The award for the worst possible FTP server
    > > goes to FileZilla.

    > Not sure why you think this? I was going to suggest the filezilla
    > server, I've found it easy to use and compatible with most variants.

    Actually, I changed my mind and am now using FileZilla.

    -Ramon

  9. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Jan 13, 6:20 pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > > My Linux server is across the ocean, behind a firewall and I have to
    > > provision some IP phones, so the *temporary* solution (until I get a
    > > decent server as God intended) is to install an FTP server in my
    > > Windows laptop.

    > I have no idea what is "provisioning" nor why that requires an FTP
    > server, but I have still have some suggestions which I hope you'll find
    > useful:

    High end IP phones, such as those made by Polycom, cannot work
    properly by themselves. They need a "boot server" -for configuration,
    firmware upgrades, logging, even to place a company logo in their
    display- which can be:

    FTP
    FTP(S)

    The first one is a piece of cake. Anyone can do plain text FTP
    provisioning. Now I want to make sure that I can provision those
    phones in a more secure (i.e., encrypted + certs) manner.

    I am taking the letters "FTP(S)" verbatin from the IP phone display.
    My first question is: "what exactly do they (Polycom engineers) mean
    by "FTP(S)"?

    Which of these protocols (or subvariations) are supported?

    http://patriot.net/~ramon/Secure-FTPs.png

    What port(s) are involved?

    Eventually the boot server will be Linux, but for the time being I
    just need a quick solution, which is to install an FTP in my Windows
    laptop.

    After trying several, I have decided to use FileZilla, with warts and
    all.

    -Ramon

  10. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:26:12 -0800, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > I am taking the letters "FTP(S)" verbatin from the IP phone display. My
    > first question is: "what exactly do they (Polycom engineers) mean by
    > "FTP(S)"?

    I guess calling Polycom and asking them is to much to ask?

    http://www.polycom.com/usa/en/support/voice/voice.html

  11. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Jan 17, 8:03 am, david wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:26:12 -0800, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    > electrons to say:
    >

    > > I am taking the letters "FTP(S)" verbatin from the IP phone display. My
    > > first question is: "what exactly do they (Polycom engineers) mean by
    > > "FTP(S)"?

    > I guess calling Polycom and asking them is to much to ask?
    >
    > http://www.polycom.com/usa/en/support/voice/voice.html

    I already submitted a ticket to Polycom support, and am waiting, and
    waiting, and waiting.

    Sometimes we users can make contributions to the distributed
    knowledge.

    We are also allowed to know things.

    Let's not be afraid to respond quicker and better than Polycom
    support.

    -Ramon

  12. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:53:27 -0800, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > On Jan 17, 8:03 am, david wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:26:12 -0800, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    >> electrons to say:
    >>

    >> > I am taking the letters "FTP(S)" verbatin from the IP phone display.
    >> > My first question is: "what exactly do they (Polycom engineers) mean
    >> > by "FTP(S)"?

    >> I guess calling Polycom and asking them is to much to ask?
    >>
    >> http://www.polycom.com/usa/en/support/voice/voice.html

    > I already submitted a ticket to Polycom support, and am waiting, and
    > waiting, and waiting.
    >
    > Sometimes we users can make contributions to the distributed knowledge.
    >
    > We are also allowed to know things.
    >
    > Let's not be afraid to respond quicker and better than Polycom support.
    >
    > -Ramon

    Well, all the manuals for their products are there, including the setup
    and provisioning. Maybe the answer to your question is contained there.

  13. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    Hi, I use AnyClient when I need file transfer. It is a free platform independent file transfer application that supports all major file transfer protocols including FTP/S, SFTP and WebDAV/S. AnyClient is available both as a web based service requiring no software installation, and as a downloadable application that you can install locally. Please visit this link AnyClient - The Free No-Install FTP, FTPS, SFTP and WebDAV Client . Hope this will help you.
    All the best!

  14. Re: Looking for a Linux-like FTP server for Windows

    I always use AnyClient because It is a free platform independent file transfer application that supports all major file transfer protocols including FTP/S, SFTP and WebDAV/S.No software installation required.

    I hope this will work for you.:

+ Reply to Thread