HELP PLEASE windows not resolving DNS but can ping IP address - Networking

This is a discussion on HELP PLEASE windows not resolving DNS but can ping IP address - Networking ; I have two different machines doing this same thing. First note that the two machines are at different locations, on different HSI providers via cable and the two machines have never "met". 1. Machine can obtain dynamic IP address 2. ...

  1. HELP PLEASE windows not resolving DNS but can ping IP address

    I have two different machines doing this same thing. First note that the
    two machines are at different locations, on different HSI providers via
    cable and the two machines have never "met".
    1. Machine can obtain dynamic IP address
    2. Unknown host error when pinging domain name.
    3. ping starts when using I.P. addresses but times out all 4 tries.
    4. Have uninstalled network stack all the way down to the registry, and
    reinstalled.
    5. Have uninstalled (physical and software) NIC, and reinstalled.
    6. Have run SFC as well as reinstalling the O/S.
    7. Have uninstalled IE and reinstalled 6 w/SP1.
    I do not know what to do next short of a nuke/pave. Has anyone seen this
    happen? Can anyone help? I apperciate any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: HELP PLEASE windows not resolving DNS but can ping IP address

    "azpcpro" wrote in message
    > I have two different machines doing this same thing. First note that

    the
    > two machines are at different locations, on different HSI providers via
    > cable and the two machines have never "met".
    > 1. Machine can obtain dynamic IP address
    > 2. Unknown host error when pinging domain name.
    > 3. ping starts when using I.P. addresses but times out all 4 tries.
    > 4. Have uninstalled network stack all the way down to the registry, and
    > reinstalled.
    > 5. Have uninstalled (physical and software) NIC, and reinstalled.
    > 6. Have run SFC as well as reinstalling the O/S.
    > 7. Have uninstalled IE and reinstalled 6 w/SP1.
    > I do not know what to do next short of a nuke/pave. Has anyone seen

    this
    > happen? Can anyone help? I apperciate any suggestions.
    > Thanks in advance

    Your subject states that the system is 'not resolving DNS but can ping IP
    address'. Then in #4 you state that ping starts, but times out all four
    replies. I'm confused.

    If the system can PING IP addresses, but can't ping domain names. It
    sounds like there is an issue with the DNS IP address being specified.
    Either the IP address being received via DHCP is invalid or the server is
    unavailable. Try specifying a different IP address for the DNS and see
    what happens.

    If the system is not able to ping by IP addresses. How bad is the issue?
    Can the system ping its own IP address? Can the system ping the loopback
    IP address (127.0.0.1)? Can the system ping any IP's within the same
    subnet? Can the system ping the default gateway?

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway

    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
    on the Internet".

  3. Re: HELP PLEASE windows not resolving DNS but can ping IP address

    "azpcpro" wrote in message
    > I can successfully ping the gateway but nothing past that. I also noted
    > (and this may or may not be related) that on one of the machines, 8
    > components for the operation of Norton antivirus were missing. NAV

    seems to
    > the user to be running correctly but what of the missing

    files?NAVEX32A.dll,
    > NAVENG.vxd, NAVENG.SYS...etc.
    >
    > BTW, what I meant in the subject is that DNS is not resolving host names

    > I.P. addresses but if I ping straight to the I.P. then the ping command
    > times out 4x rather than telling me "unable to resolve host name"
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Don Kelloway" wrote in message
    > news:JEEQa.60$%t1.29@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink. net...
    > > "azpcpro" wrote in message
    > > > I have two different machines doing this same thing. First note

    that
    > > the
    > > > two machines are at different locations, on different HSI providers

    via
    > > > cable and the two machines have never "met".
    > > > 1. Machine can obtain dynamic IP address
    > > > 2. Unknown host error when pinging domain name.
    > > > 3. ping starts when using I.P. addresses but times out all 4 tries.
    > > > 4. Have uninstalled network stack all the way down to the registry,

    and
    > > > reinstalled.
    > > > 5. Have uninstalled (physical and software) NIC, and reinstalled.
    > > > 6. Have run SFC as well as reinstalling the O/S.
    > > > 7. Have uninstalled IE and reinstalled 6 w/SP1.
    > > > I do not know what to do next short of a nuke/pave. Has anyone seen

    > > this
    > > > happen? Can anyone help? I apperciate any suggestions.
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > >

    > > Your subject states that the system is 'not resolving DNS but can ping

    IP
    > > address'. Then in #4 you state that ping starts, but times out all

    four
    > > replies. I'm confused.
    > >
    > > If the system can PING IP addresses, but can't ping domain names. It
    > > sounds like there is an issue with the DNS IP address being specified.
    > > Either the IP address being received via DHCP is invalid or the server

    is
    > > unavailable. Try specifying a different IP address for the DNS and

    see
    > > what happens.
    > >
    > > If the system is not able to ping by IP addresses. How bad is the

    issue?
    > > Can the system ping its own IP address? Can the system ping the

    loopback
    > > IP address (127.0.0.1)? Can the system ping any IP's within the same
    > > subnet? Can the system ping the default gateway?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Don Kelloway
    > > Commodon Communications
    > >
    > > Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your

    Security
    > > on the Internet".

    I think there may be two issues to look at.

    The first is whether the subnet mask or default gateway is not correctly
    specified. The second is that I think the system involved may be infected
    with a virus. Possibly Klez or one it's variants. I would suggest
    booting with a known, virus free boot disk and scanning the system.

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway
    Commodon Communications