SNMP and Linux based PC - Networking

This is a discussion on SNMP and Linux based PC - Networking ; I have a PC at home with internet connection. It is loaded with RedHat Enterprise Linux in that PC. Is it possible to practice SNMP programming with this single PC? If so, where should I start(I have intermediate level programming ...

  1. SNMP and Linux based PC

    I have a PC at home with internet connection. It is loaded with RedHat
    Enterprise Linux in that PC.

    Is it possible to practice SNMP programming with this single PC?
    If so, where should I start(I have intermediate level programming
    knowledge in C++).

    What all should I learn to do SNMP programming in this single PC ?
    Kindly suggest the related book references and internet links.

    Kindly help

    Thanks
    V.Subramanian

  2. Re: SNMP and Linux based PC

    subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote:
    > I have a PC at home with internet connection. It is loaded with RedHat
    > Enterprise Linux in that PC.
    >
    > Is it possible to practice SNMP programming with this single PC?
    > If so, where should I start(I have intermediate level programming
    > knowledge in C++).
    >
    > What all should I learn to do SNMP programming in this single PC ?
    > Kindly suggest the related book references and internet links.
    >
    > Kindly help
    >
    > Thanks
    > V.Subramanian

    SNMP is a protocol, not a language. What exactly do you mean by SNMP
    programming?

    Well, you can certainly run SNMP on your simple PC - look for a package
    called snmpd or net-snmpd. You could start by reading the tutorials on
    or playing with the utilities that are part
    of the net-snmp distribution. The protocol is defined by RFCs 3411 - 3418.

    Robert

  3. Re: SNMP and Linux based PC

    On Jan 9, 5:01*pm, "subramanian10...@yahoo.com, India"
    wrote:
    > I have a PC at home with internet connection. It is loaded with RedHat
    > Enterprise Linux in that PC.
    >
    > Is it possible to practice SNMP programming with this single PC?
    > If so, where should I start(I have intermediate level programming
    > knowledge in C++).
    >
    > What all should I learn to do SNMP programming in this single PC ?
    > Kindly suggest the related book *references and internet links.
    >
    > Kindly help
    >
    > Thanks
    > V.Subramanian

    Take a look at the net-snmp package, it has an API that will let you
    send and receive SNMP queries etc.

    http://www.net-snmp.org/

+ Reply to Thread