How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed - Networking

This is a discussion on How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed - Networking ; Where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to install, start, and configure NetworkManager within the Fedora 7 environment?...

  1. How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed

    Where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to install, start, and
    configure NetworkManager within the Fedora 7 environment?

  2. Re: How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:32:05 -0800, tek rearranged some electrons to say:

    > Where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to install, start, and
    > configure NetworkManager within the Fedora 7 environment?

    http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003ja...etworkmanager/

  3. Re: How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed

    On Jan 6, 9:35*pm, david wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:32:05 -0800, tek rearranged some electrons to say:
    >
    > > Where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to install, start, and
    > > configure NetworkManager within the Fedora 7 environment?

    > http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003ja...etworkmanager/

    Thanks for the URL. Looks a little dated though. In any case, many
    things in the instructions I found confusing.

    > If such a connection exists, NetworkManager tries to get a DHCP lease on that connection.

    Why DHCP? Why can't I defined what the IP address should be? What if I
    don't have a DHCP server running across the network how can I make
    this service work? To continue:

    > NetworkManager is constantly scanning for changes in network hardware on the system as well as for new access points.
    > If a new wired network becomes available, NetworkManager switches to it automatically. If the wire is disconnected,
    > NetworkManager quietly switches back to the preferred wireless connection.

    Sounds as if it doesn't matter what AP it connects to originally. The
    connection might switch to another AP right underneath me. I don't
    want that to happen. Can it be prevented?

  4. Re: How-to manual for GNOME NetworkManager needed

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:18:57 -0800, tek rearranged some electrons to say:

    > On Jan 6, 9:35*pm, david wrote:
    >> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:32:05 -0800, tek rearranged some electrons to
    >> say:
    >>
    >> > Where can I find a step-by-step manual on how to install, start, and
    >> > configure NetworkManager within the Fedora 7 environment?

    >> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003ja...etworkmanager/

    > Thanks for the URL. Looks a little dated though. In any case, many
    > things in the instructions I found confusing.
    >
    >> If such a connection exists, NetworkManager tries to get a DHCP lease
    >> on that connection.

    > Why DHCP? Why can't I defined what the IP address should be? What if I
    > don't have a DHCP server running across the network how can I make this
    > service work? To continue:

    Yeah, don't use it and set up a static IP.

    >> NetworkManager is constantly scanning for changes in network hardware
    >> on the system as well as for new access points. If a new wired network
    >> becomes available, NetworkManager switches to it automatically. If the
    >> wire is disconnected, NetworkManager quietly switches back to the
    >> preferred wireless connection.

    > Sounds as if it doesn't matter what AP it connects to originally. The
    > connection might switch to another AP right underneath me. I don't want
    > that to happen. Can it be prevented?

    Yeah, don't use it.

+ Reply to Thread