Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux - Networking

This is a discussion on Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux - Networking ; Hi Im using openSuSE 10.3 and I have a 2 network cards : eth0 is 10.0.0.0/8 and eth1 is 192.168.0.0/24 There is no packet forwarding between the interfaces. Im using the DHCP server shipped with openSUSE and want to be ...

  1. Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux

    Hi

    Im using openSuSE 10.3 and I have a 2 network cards :

    eth0 is 10.0.0.0/8 and eth1 is 192.168.0.0/24

    There is no packet forwarding between the interfaces.

    Im using the DHCP server shipped with openSUSE and want to be able to
    configure it so that the DHCP server listens on both interfaces and is
    able to issue appropriate IP's to each network. Is it possible to do
    this? Can the DHCP server work with 2 interfaces? I thought perhaps I
    could configure 2 copies of the dhcp server to listen to each
    interface seperately, but that seems like a crappy way doing things...

    Havn't found much on this topic trawling through Google ...anyone know
    where to start?

  2. Re: Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux

    Suk wrote:
    > Im using the DHCP server shipped with openSUSE and want to be able to
    > configure it so that the DHCP server listens on both interfaces and is
    > able to issue appropriate IP's to each network. Is it possible to do
    > this?

    On 4 Jan, 14:28, Davide Bianchi replied:

    Suk wrote:
    > Thanks but if you don't know the answer then please dont post a reply

    man dhcpd says, variously, the following:

    (a) In the section "COMMAND LINE",

    The names of the network interfaces on which dhcpd should listen
    for broadcasts may be specified on the command line. [...] If
    no interface names are specified on the command line dhcpd will
    identify all network interfaces which are up [...] and listen for
    DHCP broadcasts on each interface.

    (b) In the section CONFIGURATION,

    The syntax of the dhcpd.conf(5) file is discussed separately. This
    section should be used as an overview of the configuration process,
    and the dhcpd.conf(5) documentation should be consulted for detailed
    reference information.

    The referenced man page for dhcpd.conf says:

    Declarations are used to describe the topology of the network, to
    describe clients on the network, to provide addresses that can be
    assigned to clients, or to apply a group of parameters to a group
    of declarations.

    On my Debian box (admittedly not openSUSE, about which I have no
    information) there's even an example file under /usr/share/doc/ that
    includes the sort of thing you need.

    Seems pretty clear to me.
    Chris

  3. Re: Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux

    On 2008-01-04, Suk wrote:
    > I wouldn't be asking If I hadn't tried the obvious already.

    So why don't you tell us what you tried, and what didn't worked?

    Obviously, you did something wrong, byt you can't figure out what,
    so tell us what you did instead of asking for a ready-to-eat-meal.

    Davide

    --
    Eh? Linux is luserproof? What kind of "proper" set up is that,
    ripping out all removable media devices and ethernet, freezing the

  4. Re: Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux

    > Thanks but if you don't know the answer then please dont post a reply
    >
    > If you know the answer, then try typing in something helpful rather
    > than trying to act "smart"
    >
    > I wouldn't be asking If I hadn't tried the obvious already. If you
    > know something I dont - why dont you try sharing your knowledge?

    I agree. Linux supporters are full of idiots pretending they know
    something when all they can do is spout "read the man pages".

  5. Re: Running a DHCP server on multihomed Linux

    On 2008-01-04, Suk wrote:
    > On 4 Jan, 14:28, Davide Bianchi wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-04, Suk wrote:
    >>
    >> > Im using the DHCP server shipped with openSUSE and want to be able to
    >> > configure it so that the DHCP server listens on both interfaces and is
    >> > able to issue appropriate IP's to each network. Is it possible to do
    >> > this?

    >> Sure it is, just read the man page of dhcpd and configure it
    >> accordly.
    >>
    >> > where to start?

    >> the man page of dhcpd
    >>
    >> Davide
    >>

    > Thanks but if you don't know the answer then please dont post a reply
    >
    > If you know the answer, then try typing in something helpful rather
    > than trying to act "smart"
    >
    > I wouldn't be asking If I hadn't tried the obvious already. If you
    > know something I dont - why dont you try sharing your knowledge?

    But did you read the man page of dhcpd?

    It says:

    Subnets
    dhcpd needs to know the subnet numbers and netmasks of all subnets for which it will be providing
    service. In addition, in order to dynamically allocate addresses, it must be assigned one or more
    ranges of addresses on each subnet which it can in turn assign to client hosts as they boot. Thus,
    a very simple configuration providing DHCP support might look like this:

    subnet 239.252.197.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 239.252.197.10 239.252.197.250;
    }

    So, my dear friend, you need to have two "subnet" clauses!!!