What are 127.x.x.x addresses? - Networking

This is a discussion on What are 127.x.x.x addresses? - Networking ; Hi, I did a small traceroute to a few IP addresses and found a lot of IP addresses having 127.255.255.255 and each instance of 127.255.255.255 belongs to a different AS... Can someone tell me what significance this has? Thanks...

  1. What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Hi,

    I did a small traceroute to a few IP addresses and found a lot of IP
    addresses having 127.255.255.255 and each instance of 127.255.255.255
    belongs to a different AS... Can someone tell me what significance
    this has?

    Thanks

  2. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:18:21 -0800, Legend wrote:

    > I did a small traceroute to a few IP addresses and found a lot of IP
    > addresses having 127.255.255.255 and each instance of 127.255.255.255
    > belongs to a different AS... Can someone tell me what significance this
    > has?

    Are you aware that Goofle is a search engine? What happens when you put
    your subject line into their search bar?

  3. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    No. I tried using Google. I know its a loop back address but I've read
    somewhere that it is used for spoofing. So in my traceroute dataset, I
    didn't know if I should be bothering about these addresses in the
    first place. Would you kindly advice me?

    On Jan 3, 9:45*pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:18:21 -0800, Legend wrote:
    > > I did a small traceroute to a few IP addresses and found a lot of IP
    > > addresses having 127.255.255.255 and each instance of 127.255.255.255
    > > belongs to a different AS... Can someone tell me what significance this
    > > has?

    > Are you aware that Goofle is a search engine? *What happens when you put
    > your subject line into their search bar?

  4. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:13:42 -0800, Legend wrote:

    Top posting corrected.

    > On Jan 3, 9:45*pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:18:21 -0800, Legend wrote:
    >> > I did a small traceroute to a few IP addresses and found a lot of IP
    >> > addresses having 127.255.255.255 and each instance of 127.255.255.255
    >> > belongs to a different AS... Can someone tell me what significance
    >> > this has?

    >> Are you aware that Goofle is a search engine? *What happens when you
    >> put your subject line into their search bar?

    > No. I tried using Google.

    Either you did not do as I suggested or you are incapable of
    understanding anything which you read.

    > I know its a loop back address but I've read
    > somewhere that it is used for spoofing. So in my traceroute dataset, I
    > didn't know if I should be bothering about these addresses in the first
    > place. Would you kindly advice me?

    The only one which such an address could spoof if you. All of those
    16,777,216 addresses are inside your own machine.

  5. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Thanks for the information though I would've preferred the same answer
    in a polite tone. Not everyone is a born genius. It takes sometime to
    get used to the terminology when someone is new to the subject.
    Anyways I shall improve myself as you suggested. Thanks for your time.

    On Jan 3, 11:54*pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:13:42 -0800, Legend wrote:
    >
    > Top posting corrected. *

    > >> Are you aware that Goofle is a search engine? *What happens when you
    > >> put your subject line into their search bar?

    > > No. I tried using Google.

    > Either you did not do as I suggested or you are incapable of
    > understanding anything which you read.
    >
    > > I know its a loop back address but I've read
    > > somewhere that it is used for spoofing. So in my traceroute dataset, I
    > > didn't know if I should be bothering about these addresses in the first
    > > place. Would you kindly advice me?

    > The only one which such an address could spoof if you. *All of those
    > 16,777,216 addresses are inside your own machine.

  6. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:16:09 -0800 (PST), Legend wrote:
    > Thanks for the information though I would've preferred the same answer
    > in a polite tone.

    Hmmm, you may want to read

  7. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:16:09 -0800, Legend wrote:

    > Thanks for the information though I would've preferred the same answer
    > in a polite tone. Not everyone is a born genius. It takes sometime to
    > get used to the terminology when someone is new to the subject. Anyways
    > I shall improve myself as you suggested. Thanks for your time.

    Why should I be polite to some Windows user who is incapable of using
    google before posting a question to Usenet. Post your questions using
    Linux and you will receive a more polite answer.

    Start using a real news server instead of goofle and you might even get
    more answers. I block gargle posts in most newsgroups; this is one of
    the few exceptions and if this NG starts getting more abusive articles
    posted to it I will include it in my garfle blocking.

  8. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:53:04 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:16:09 -0800, Legend wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the information though I would've preferred the same answer
    >> in a polite tone. Not everyone is a born genius. It takes sometime to
    >> get used to the terminology when someone is new to the subject. Anyways
    >> I shall improve myself as you suggested. Thanks for your time.

    > Why should I be polite to some Windows user who is incapable of using
    > google before posting a question to Usenet. Post your questions using
    > Linux and you will receive a more polite answer.
    >
    > Start using a real news server instead of goofle and you might even get
    > more answers. I block gargle posts in most newsgroups; this is one of
    > the few exceptions and if this NG starts getting more abusive articles
    > posted to it I will include it in my garfle blocking.

    What exactly was 'abusive' about the OP's question? He was being quite
    polite about the whole thing. The only abusive posts have come from you!

  9. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:20:10 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:53:04 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Start using a real news server instead of goofle and you might even get
    >> more answers. I block gargle posts in most newsgroups; this is one of
    >> the few exceptions and if this NG starts getting more abusive articles
    >> posted to it I will include it in my garfle blocking.

    > What exactly was 'abusive' about the OP's question? He was being quite
    > polite about the whole thing. The only abusive posts have come from you!

    You don't seem to read very well either. Where did I state that the OP's
    articles were abusive?

    And if you determine that a logical conclusion drawn from the OP's
    statements is abusive I think that you need to check a dictionary.

  10. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Thanks Bit Twister. That article does mention a few guidelines about
    "How to ask questions the Smart Way" but never answered anything like
    "How to answer the questions the Polite Way" Anyways please accept my
    apologies Dave. I am not sure why Google has set up groups to
    interfere with newsgroups when so many people oppose it but I am using
    it only because it exists. Anyways I never imagined that a small
    question from my side would trigger so much of negativity and this
    time if I "ever" post a question again, it will be from Linux.

    Thanks

    On Jan 4, 6:26*pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:20:10 +0000, Chris wrote:
    > > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:53:04 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > >> Start using a real news server instead of goofle and you might even get
    > >> more answers. *I block gargle posts in most newsgroups; this is one of
    > >> the few exceptions and if this NG starts getting more abusive articles
    > >> posted to it I will include it in my garfle blocking.

    > > What exactly was 'abusive' about the OP's question? He was being quite
    > > polite about the whole thing. The only abusive posts have come from you!

    > You don't seem to read very well either. *Where did I state that the OP's
    > articles were abusive?
    >
    > And if you determine that a logical conclusion drawn from the OP's
    > statements is abusive I think that you need to check a dictionary.

  11. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Oh I'm sorry Bit Twister... It does answer that question too but in
    the end...

    On Jan 4, 8:17*pm, Legend wrote:
    > Thanks Bit Twister. That article does mention a few guidelines about
    > "How to ask questions the Smart Way" but never answered anything like
    > "How to answer the questions the Polite Way" Anyways please accept my
    > apologies Dave. I am not sure why Google has set up groups to
    > interfere with newsgroups when so many people oppose it but I am using
    > it only because it exists. Anyways I never imagined that a small
    > question from my side would trigger so much of negativity and this
    > time if I "ever" post a question again, it will be from Linux.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > On Jan 4, 6:26*pm, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > > > What exactly was 'abusive' about the OP's question? He was being quite
    > > > polite about the whole thing. The only abusive posts have come from you!

    > > You don't seem to read very well either. *Where did I state that the OP's
    > > articles were abusive?

    > > And if you determine that a logical conclusion drawn from the OP's
    > > statements is abusive I think that you need to check a dictionary.

  12. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:17:50 -0800 (PST), Legend wrote:
    > Thanks Bit Twister. That article does mention a few guidelines about
    > "How to ask questions the Smart Way" but never answered anything like
    > "How to answer the questions the Polite Way"

    Heheh, yet another usual response.
    Guess you skipped
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#not_losing
    section. :-(
    I will admit I see it alot. OP reads that document without dropping
    their attitude and wants to still justify their stance. :-D

    Lots of time I see those /Tone/ remarks, and the majority of the time
    the /tone/ is in the readers head. Then the OP pop's off and away the
    flame fests starts.

    > if I "ever" post a question again, it will be from Linux.

    Well, three cheers for your side.
    If you come over from the Dark Side you will be safer from 99.99999%
    of the malware.

    PS: Do bookmark http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

  13. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    I'm not from a Dark Side... just trying to get into one Sorry about
    the whole fuss though... This will be my last reply here in this
    post...

    On Jan 4, 8:36*pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:17:50 -0800 (PST), Legend wrote:
    > > Thanks Bit Twister. That article does mention a few guidelines about
    > > "How to ask questions the Smart Way" but never answered anything like
    > > "How to answer the questions the Polite Way"

    > Heheh, yet another usual response. *
    > Guess you skipped
    > * * * * * *http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#not_losing
    > section. *:-(
    > I will admit I see it alot. OP reads that document without dropping
    > their attitude and wants to still justify their stance. *:-D
    >
    > Lots of time I see those /Tone/ remarks, and the majority of the time
    > the /tone/ is in the readers head. Then the OP pop's off and away the
    > flame fests starts.
    >
    > > if I "ever" post a question again, it will be from Linux.

    > Well, three cheers for your side.
    > If you come over from the Dark Side you will be safer from 99.99999%
    > of the malware.
    >
    > PS: Do bookmark *http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

  14. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Legend wrote:
    > I'm not from a Dark Side... just trying to get into one Sorry about
    > the whole fuss though... This will be my last reply here in this
    > post...
    >
    > On Jan 4, 8:36 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:17:50 -0800 (PST), Legend wrote:
    >>> Thanks Bit Twister. That article does mention a few guidelines about
    >>> "How to ask questions the Smart Way" but never answered anything like
    >>> "How to answer the questions the Polite Way"

    >> Heheh, yet another usual response.
    >> Guess you skipped
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#not_losing
    >> section. :-(
    >> I will admit I see it alot. OP reads that document without dropping
    >> their attitude and wants to still justify their stance. :-D
    >>
    >> Lots of time I see those /Tone/ remarks, and the majority of the time
    >> the /tone/ is in the readers head. Then the OP pop's off and away the
    >> flame fests starts.
    >>
    >>> if I "ever" post a question again, it will be from Linux.

    >> Well, three cheers for your side.
    >> If you come over from the Dark Side you will be safer from 99.99999%
    >> of the malware.
    >>
    >> PS: Do bookmark http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

    Hmmmm. I feel strongly both ways. The question was obtuse, and the
    answer was succinct.

    A real technologist takes a windoze machine, inserts a LiveCDrom of
    GNU/Linux and then, sees if the network situation can be duplicated.

    If so, and it is a 127.x.x.x address, then, probably, it is compliant
    to a standard.

    Now, what a forward thinking person would do, is get a free computer
    from a dustbin or curbside "donation", run GNU/Linux on it, for all the
    experimentation projects.

    Back in 1997, that is what I did, and found that after about two months
    of non-use of the favorite concubine machine, also wiped windoze from
    that, speeding her up in the process.

    Never looked back, read Eric S. Raymonds' works, and have attained
    enlightenment and freedom from the Dark Side and the Evil Empire!

    Hope others do so, also, and promptly! Today, Saturday, January 5th,
    2008, as we do monthly, http://leap-cf.org hosts a large Installfest, in
    Central Florida.

    Welcome to those of you who can attend and enjoy the FREE stuff.

  15. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:26:06 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:20:10 +0000, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:53:04 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Start using a real news server instead of goofle and you might even get
    >>> more answers. I block gargle posts in most newsgroups; this is one of
    >>> the few exceptions and if this NG starts getting more abusive articles
    >>> posted to it I will include it in my garfle blocking.

    >> What exactly was 'abusive' about the OP's question? He was being quite
    >> polite about the whole thing. The only abusive posts have come from you!

    > You don't seem to read very well either. Where did I state that the OP's
    > articles were abusive?
    >
    > And if you determine that a logical conclusion drawn from the OP's
    > statements is abusive I think that you need to check a dictionary.

    Re-read! I said that "The only abusive posts have come from you!" - and
    you're the only one moaning about abusive posts. There was absolutely no
    need to give the OP attitude about posting a simple question and also for
    some bizzare reason, not using Linux!

  16. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Why should I be polite to some Windows user who is incapable of using
    > google before posting a question to Usenet.

    Because you give Linux a bad name.
    If you don't want to answer a question because you think it is silly,
    don't answer it.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  17. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:04:52 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> Why should I be polite to some Windows user who is incapable of using
    >> google before posting a question to Usenet.

    > Because you give Linux a bad name.
    > If you don't want to answer a question because you think it is silly,
    > don't answer it.

    insistent on using the search engine first. I also stated my reason for
    being impolite (or abusive in the eyes of some).

  18. Re: What are 127.x.x.x addresses?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    >insistent on using the search engine first. I also stated my reason for
    >being impolite (or abusive in the eyes of some).

    Yep, you said you were entitled to be an utter asshole
    just because he posted from a non-Linux platform.

    That's absurd when applied to valid beginner questions
    in a technical newsgroup. (It is exactly correct when
    applied to some jerk trolling, or anyone posting in an
    advocacy newsgroup.)

    Ah, well... everyone has a bad day and that's one for you.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson