Samba W2K access problem - Networking

This is a discussion on Samba W2K access problem - Networking ; Hi, I have created a user « test » with his password and home directory on a Linux Fedora. I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory. I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password. My smb.conf ...

  1. Samba W2K access problem

    Hi,

    I have created a user « test » with his password and home directory on a
    Linux Fedora.

    I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.

    I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.

    My smb.conf seen with testparm:

    Processing section "[homes]"

    Processing section "[sambaRoot]"

    Loaded services file OK.

    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

    [global]

    workgroup = TMCS

    netbios name = PCLINUX

    server string = Samba Server

    log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd

    max log size = 50

    [homes]

    path = /home/test/

    read only = No

    [sambaRoot]

    path = /sambaRoot

    valid users = test

    read only = No

    Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
    directory

    On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
    on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
    sambaRoot but without write permissions.

    The second problem:

    From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

    With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

    Same problem with the test directory.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:17:03 +0100, Gérard wrote:
    >Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
    >directory

    >On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
    >on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
    >sambaRoot but without write permissions.

    >The second problem:

    >From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

    >With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

    >Same problem with the test directory.

    Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?

    (You might not need all 8 ports open; but if they're open then you can rule
    out IP filtering. You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
    needed and which protocol on them)

  3. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    > Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?
    >
    > (You might not need all 8 ports open; but if they're open then you can

    rule
    > out IP filtering. You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
    > needed and which protocol on them)

    Thanks for your answer

    Yes for the test my firewall is deactivated

  4. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    "Gérard" a écrit dans le message de
    > > Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?
    > >
    > > (You might not need all 8 ports open; but if they're open then you can

    > rule
    > > out IP filtering. You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
    > > needed and which protocol on them)

    > Thanks for your answer
    >
    > Yes for the test my firewall is deactivated

    And this is a part of my services file:

    ntp 123/tcp
    ntp 123/udp # Network Time Protocol
    netbios-ns 137/tcp # NETBIOS Name Service
    netbios-ns 137/udp
    netbios-dgm 138/tcp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
    netbios-dgm 138/udp
    netbios-ssn 139/tcp # NETBIOS session service
    netbios-ssn 139/udp

  5. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:17:03 +0100, Gérard wrote:

    >On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
    >on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
    >sambaRoot but without write permissions.

    Could you post your entire smb.conf file?

    On my working system where windows (including win2k) users can write, I have:

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/
    username = user1, user2
    read only = no
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    case sensitive = no
    strict locking = no
    msdfs proxy = no

    [dat]
    comment = Huge hard drive
    path = /dat
    username = user1, user2
    read only = No

    ------------------------------

    You already have "read only = No". Only other difference is that I have
    "directory mask" on my home directories definition.

    >The second problem:

    >From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

    >With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

    Is 'pclinux' in \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts?

    can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?

  6. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    Thanks for your answer

    > You already have "read only = No". Only other difference is that I have
    > "directory mask" on my home directories definition.

    I have change my smb.conf with your directory mask ------>No change
    Since my last post I have updated samba and triy to create the smb.conf with
    the swat utility ---> No change

    > >The second problem:

    > can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?

    yes no problem

  7. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:08:17 +0100, Gérard wrote:
    >Thanks for your answer

    >> You already have "read only = No". Only other difference is that I have
    >> "directory mask" on my home directories definition.
    >>

    >I have change my smb.conf with your directory mask ------>No change
    >Since my last post I have updated samba and triy to create the smb.conf with
    >the swat utility ---> No change

    >> >The second problem:

    >> can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?

    >yes no problem

    Maybe you have selinux on the linux box?

    I did a google search for "samba windows can't write"
    check
    http://myblackdiaries.blogspot.com/2...t-windows.html

    Another possibility is that you don't really have smbpasswd done correctly
    and your windows box is viewing the share as a guest. Give a file or directory 777
    permissions and see if you then can write to it? Take a look in
    /etc/samba/smbpasswd and see if there's a line for the remote user.

    Swat will also show who has mounted a share, I think on the status pages.
    Make sure it isn't 'guest' reading it.

  8. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    Gérard schreef:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have created a user « test » with his password and home directory on a
    > Linux Fedora.
    >
    > I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.
    >
    > I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.
    >

    > My smb.conf seen with testparm:
    >

    > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >
    > Processing section "[homes]"
    >
    > Processing section "[sambaRoot]"
    >
    > Loaded services file OK.
    >
    > Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    >
    > Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
    >

    > [global]
    >
    > workgroup = TMCS
    >
    > netbios name = PCLINUX
    >
    > server string = Samba Server
    >
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
    >
    > max log size = 50
    >

    > [homes]
    >
    > path = /home/test/
    >
    > read only = No
    >

    > [sambaRoot]
    >
    > path = /sambaRoot
    >
    > valid users = test
    >
    > read only = No
    >

    > Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
    > directory
    >

    > On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
    > on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
    > sambaRoot but without write permissions.
    >

    > The second problem:
    >
    > From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer
    >
    > With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.
    >
    > Same problem with the test directory.
    >

    > Thanks

    try it with \\pcllinux\test

  9. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    goarilla schreef:
    > Gérard schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I have created a user « test » with his password and home directory on a
    >> Linux Fedora.
    >>
    >> I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.
    >>
    >> I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.
    >>

    >> My smb.conf seen with testparm:
    >>

    >> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >>
    >> Processing section "[homes]"
    >>
    >> Processing section "[sambaRoot]"
    >>
    >> Loaded services file OK.
    >>
    >> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    >>
    >> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
    >>

    >> [global]
    >>
    >> workgroup = TMCS
    >>
    >> netbios name = PCLINUX
    >>
    >> server string = Samba Server
    >>
    >> log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
    >>
    >> max log size = 50
    >>

    >> [homes]
    >>
    >> path = /home/test/
    >>
    >> read only = No
    >>

    >> [sambaRoot]
    >>
    >> path = /sambaRoot
    >>
    >> valid users = test
    >>
    >> read only = No
    >>

    >> Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
    >> directory
    >>

    >> On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password,
    >> this user
    >> on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
    >> sambaRoot but without write permissions.
    >>

    >> The second problem:
    >>
    >> From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer
    >>
    >> With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.
    >>
    >> Same problem with the test directory.
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    > try it with \\pcllinux\test

    if that doesn't work remove the path line and try it again
    iirc you don't have to specify path and homes is a special section anyway
    meaning if you define [homes] ... and have users with unix entries in
    passwd and smbpasswords
    \\nbname\ will get you to their homedir's if they have smbpasswd
    also you can add users without a illegit shell (/bin/false) and still
    have them access their home
    dirs via samba and [homes] remember that ... no need to give your users
    unnecessary shell access !

  10. Re: Samba W2K access problem

    > Maybe you have selinux on the linux box?
    >
    > I did a google search for "samba windows can't write"
    > check

    http://myblackdiaries.blogspot.com/2...t-windows.html

    THANKS

    That's the solution

    I solve my problem with this command to disable Selinux
    # setenforce 0or change the config file/etc/selinux/config, and replace «
    SELINUX=...... » with « SELINUX=disabled

+ Reply to Thread