    Regards,

    Amy Lee

  2. Re: Help: No Ping

    On 2008-01-02, Amy Lee wrote:
    > How to avoid others use the command "ping" to scan my computer?

    Block icmp type 8 (echo-request)
    Davide

    --
    One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
    Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number

  3. Re: Help: No Ping

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:53:18 +0100, Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > On 2008-01-02, Amy Lee wrote:
    >> How to avoid others use the command "ping" to scan my computer?

    > Block icmp type 8 (echo-request)
    > Davide

    Thank you. But can you tell me more details and how to execute this
    command?

    Amy

  4. Re: Help: No Ping

    Am Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:14:26 +0800 schrieb Amy Lee:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:53:18 +0100, Davide Bianchi wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-02, Amy Lee wrote:
    >>> How to avoid others use the command "ping" to scan my computer?

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You don't need icmp to scan a target.
    > Thank you. But can you tell me more details and how to execute this
    > command?

    iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP
    What is wrong with scanning?

    cheers

  5. Re: Help: No Ping

    On 2008-01-02, Amy Lee wrote:
    > Thank you. But can you tell me more details and how to execute this
    > command?

    There is an extensive documentation on iptable, a search with
    google will return you a lot of example that could best suit your needs,
    in short, something like

    iptables -A INPUT -p ICMP --icmp-type 8 -j DROP

    should be enough for what you need

    --
    When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start
    thinking about tearing down civilisation and giving the ants a go.

  6. Re: Help: No Ping

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 13:18:06 +0000, Burkhard Ott wrote:

    > Am Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:14:26 +0800 schrieb Amy Lee:

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > You don't need icmp to scan a target.
    >> Thank you. But can you tell me more details and how to execute this
    >> command?

    > iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP
    > What is wrong with scanning?
    >
    > cheers

    Thank you. And I wanna know if I enable this strategy whether it will
    influence anything else.

    Regards,

    Amy

  7. Re: Help: No Ping

    Hello,

    Amy Lee a écrit :

    > How to avoid others use the command "ping" to scan my computer? My Linux
    > is RHEL 3.

    You can't scan a host with ping. You can just learn it's there, but
    there are many other methods.

    > I assume that I should use iptables.

    You don't need iptables for this. You can just instruct the kernel to
    ignore ICMP echo requests :

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    or
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1

    This can usually be made persistent across reboots by adding the
    following line into the file /etc/sysctl.conf :

    net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1

+ Reply to Thread