openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays - Networking

This is a discussion on openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays - Networking ; have two machines connected via openvpn (tun point to point interface) which works great usually. But if I ssh into the remote machine,I occasionally ( like one of two times in 5 min) get delays of 10-20 sec. Ie I ...

  1. openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays

    have two machines connected via openvpn (tun point to point interface)
    which works great usually. But if I ssh into the remote machine,I
    occasionally ( like one of two times in 5 min) get delays of 10-20 sec.
    Ie I will be typing into a file on the remote machine, and suddenly nothing
    will come back for 20 sec, and then things will continue as normal.
    If I run a ping to the remote machine I will also get occasional 10-20 sec
    packet losses.
    If one terminal has frozen, I can usually open another one and connect fine
    to the remote one, but the first one will remain frozen for a while.

    I only have this problem in openvpn going from the server to the laptop.
    The laptop is connected via wireless ( but this has happened to two
    entirely different wirless AP-- separated by 3000 miles).

    Any suggestions as to what is happening?
    Mandriva 2007.0 on the server and 2007.1 on the laptop.

  2. Re: openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays

    Unruh wrote:

    > have two machines connected via openvpn (tun point to point interface)
    > which works great usually. But if I ssh into the remote machine,I
    > occasionally ( like one of two times in 5 min) get delays of 10-20 sec.
    > Ie I will be typing into a file on the remote machine, and suddenly
    > nothing will come back for 20 sec, and then things will continue as
    > normal. If I run a ping to the remote machine I will also get occasional
    > 10-20 sec packet losses.
    > If one terminal has frozen, I can usually open another one and connect
    > fine to the remote one, but the first one will remain frozen for a while.
    >
    > I only have this problem in openvpn going from the server to the laptop.
    > The laptop is connected via wireless ( but this has happened to two
    > entirely different wirless AP-- separated by 3000 miles).
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what is happening?
    > Mandriva 2007.0 on the server and 2007.1 on the laptop.

    Have you checked the your openvpn log (set "verb 3" to get enough output to
    debug your connection)?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays

    Gregory Shearman writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> have two machines connected via openvpn (tun point to point interface)
    >> which works great usually. But if I ssh into the remote machine,I
    >> occasionally ( like one of two times in 5 min) get delays of 10-20 sec.
    >> Ie I will be typing into a file on the remote machine, and suddenly
    >> nothing will come back for 20 sec, and then things will continue as
    >> normal. If I run a ping to the remote machine I will also get occasional
    >> 10-20 sec packet losses.
    >> If one terminal has frozen, I can usually open another one and connect
    >> fine to the remote one, but the first one will remain frozen for a while.
    >>
    >> I only have this problem in openvpn going from the server to the laptop.
    >> The laptop is connected via wireless ( but this has happened to two
    >> entirely different wirless AP-- separated by 3000 miles).
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to what is happening?
    >> Mandriva 2007.0 on the server and 2007.1 on the laptop.

    >Have you checked the your openvpn log (set "verb 3" to get enough output to
    >debug your connection)?

    Nope notiong in there.

    >--
    >Regards,

    >Gregory.
    >Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: openvpn suffering weird 10-20 sec delays

    Unruh wrote:
    > have two machines connected via openvpn (tun point to point interface)
    > which works great usually. But if I ssh into the remote machine,I
    > occasionally ( like one of two times in 5 min) get delays of 10-20 sec.

    > I only have this problem in openvpn going from the server to the laptop.

    It's possible that a NAT firewall is timing out somewhere. There's not
    a lot you can do about that other than reduce the PING time (from client
    to server) until the problem goes away.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread