Wireless Woe - Please Help - Networking

This is a discussion on Wireless Woe - Please Help - Networking ; EliveUser writes: >Unruh wrote: >> Once again the scan shows that encryption is on. YOu have been told >> repeatedly to switch it off. You state that you have but everytime you post >> a scan it is on. You ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    EliveUser writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Once again the scan shows that encryption is on. YOu have been told
    >> repeatedly to switch it off. You state that you have but everytime you post
    >> a scan it is on. You either do not know how to switch it off, or are
    >> purposely jerking us around-- why do you expect help in that case?

    >What are you talking about... "Once again (...)"?

    I do appologize. My news server for some reason resurrected old posts and
    reposted them. I had originally answered your post, and seeing it again
    assumed that you felt you had not gotten answers and were posting again.
    Looking at the time stamps I realise it was my news server's fault ( and
    mine for not seeing the old date) Sorry.

    >And as for your last question, i don't expect your help. You are
    >obviously a troll, who's main reason for posting here is to be
    >disrespectful to others in the shelter of anonymity. Please go elsewhere
    >or reconsider your manners.

    Anonymity? There is nothing anonymous about my posts. I have done an
    obvious munge of my name in a futile attempt to decrease the 100 spams I
    get per day, but my return email address is obvious to anyone who looks at
    it.

  2. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    Unruh wrote:

    > Anonymity? There is nothing anonymous about my posts. I have done an
    > obvious munge of my name in a futile attempt to decrease the 100 spams I
    > get per day, but my return email address is obvious to anyone who looks at
    > it.

    There's nothing wrong with staying anonymous when posting to the usenet.
    There is a danger however, when you know that you don't have to care
    about who the people are you communicate with (or what they think about
    you) of lowering ones usual standards of politeness.
    Even in your first response to my posting you very quickly assumed that
    i was an idiot who didn't know what he was doing. Well i'm not.

    I had and have a good reason for not permanently switching off
    encryption while piddling with my wmp54g. I share my router as an
    internet gateway with a neighbor and switching off encryption for longer
    periods would be disruptive to him. I especially did not want to do this
    just for the purpose of demonstrating that iwlist scan actually produces
    an "Encryption key: off" output on my machine when encryption is off.
    You should assume that people are telling the truth, unless you really
    have a reason not to. Makes communication a lot easier.

  3. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    EliveUser schrieb:
    > Syren Baran wrote:
    >> EliveUser schrieb:
    >>
    >>> $ dhclient wlan0
    >>> No DHCPOFFERS received.
    >>> No working leases in persistent database.

    >> Switch your address manually once iwconfig shows the connection, via
    >> ifconfig wlan0 same.as.router.someothernumber
    >> Ping the router, if that doesnt work check if your router surpresses
    >> ping/icmp. If it works, check the dhcp configuration on the router.

    > Thanks for your help. I can ping the router, ok. But its still
    > impossible to connect with the internet. The router also works as a dhcp
    > server and assigns ip adresses to other cards in my network - it just
    > doesn't like the wmp54g.. :-(

    If you can ping the router thats a good thing (TM).
    You can manually configure the connection then.
    Simply:
    route add default gw routeripaddress
    echo "nameserver routeripaddress" >>/etc/resolv.conf

    That should be sufficient to to access the internet.
    BTW, does dhcp work for other wireless cards or only cable connected boxes?

  4. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    EliveUser writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >> Anonymity? There is nothing anonymous about my posts. I have done an
    >> obvious munge of my name in a futile attempt to decrease the 100 spams I
    >> get per day, but my return email address is obvious to anyone who looks at
    >> it.

    >There's nothing wrong with staying anonymous when posting to the usenet.
    > There is a danger however, when you know that you don't have to care
    >about who the people are you communicate with (or what they think about
    >you) of lowering ones usual standards of politeness.
    >Even in your first response to my posting you very quickly assumed that
    >i was an idiot who didn't know what he was doing. Well i'm not.

    I certainly did not want to give the impression that you are an idiot. I
    was however annoyed that you would give us information which did not
    correspond to what you are actually doing. It is hard enough to try to
    guess what could be going wrong without the poster also posting misleading
    information.

    >I had and have a good reason for not permanently switching off
    >encryption while piddling with my wmp54g. I share my router as an
    >internet gateway with a neighbor and switching off encryption for longer
    >periods would be disruptive to him. I especially did not want to do this
    >just for the purpose of demonstrating that iwlist scan actually produces
    >an "Encryption key: off" output on my machine when encryption is off.
    >You should assume that people are telling the truth, unless you really
    >have a reason not to. Makes communication a lot easier.

    Yes, and the evidence was that you were not telling the truth. You stated
    that encryption was off, and that the iwlist output was from when you were
    trying to connect. The evidence thus was that it was on. Thus one or
    the other of those was not the truth.
    And the most common reason for exactly the symptoms you describe is that
    encryption is on and you are using the wrong encryption key.

    Check also that wpa_supplicant is not running when you are trying to
    connect (left over perhaps )
    ..

  5. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    Syren Baran wrote:
    > EliveUser schrieb:
    >> Syren Baran wrote:

    >>> Switch your address manually once iwconfig shows the connection, via
    >>> ifconfig wlan0 same.as.router.someothernumber
    >>> Ping the router, if that doesnt work check if your router surpresses
    >>> ping/icmp. If it works, check the dhcp configuration on the router.

    >> Thanks for your help. I can ping the router, ok. But its still
    >> impossible to connect with the internet. The router also works as a dhcp
    >> server and assigns ip adresses to other cards in my network - it just
    >> doesn't like the wmp54g.. :-(

    > If you can ping the router thats a good thing (TM).
    > You can manually configure the connection then.
    > Simply:
    > route add default gw routeripaddress
    > echo "nameserver routeripaddress" >>/etc/resolv.conf
    >
    > That should be sufficient to to access the internet.
    > BTW, does dhcp work for other wireless cards or only cable connected boxes?

    Thanks, i'll try that next weekend (perhaps early next morning central
    european time). Can't do it now since i'm about to leave for a couple of
    days and don't have access to the machine in question just now.

    Currently the router assigns ip addresses as a dhcp server to several
    clients that are connected to a wireless bridge by cabel. That wireless
    bridge has a static ip address and connects to the router through
    wireless. It did use to connect to a pinnacle music streaming client
    directly per wireless though. So dhcp has worked for at least one
    wireless card in the past.

  6. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    Unruh wrote:

    > And the most common reason for exactly the symptoms you describe is that
    > encryption is on and you are using the wrong encryption key.

    hmm, ok i at least understand your reaction. I seem to remember from
    previous attempts at configuring wireless cards that wrong encryption
    keys would produce "authentification errors" or similiar...

    > Check also that wpa_supplicant is not running when you are trying to
    > connect (left over perhaps )

    i'm pretty sure wpa_supplicant was still running every time i tried to
    connect. Because of the situation described above, i initially tried to
    connect with encryption (this is what my system does currently every
    time i boot). I then turn off encryption on the router and try to
    connect manually, but i certainly never killed wpa_supplicant before
    trying that...

  7. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    EliveUser schrieb:

    > I have the WMP54G Version 4.1 which uses a Ralink RT61 chipset. There
    > seem to be three different ways to get this running.
    >
    > 1. Use the serialmonkey open source native linux driver

    I used the rt2x00 driver in conjuction with a rt2500 card a while back.
    Worked a lot better that than using ndiswrapper with the windows driver.
    Dont know about the rt61 though.
    > 2. Use the windows driver provided by Ralink in connection with ndiswrapper
    > 3. Use a closed source native linux driver from Ralink

  8. Re: Wireless Woe - Please Help

    EliveUser writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> And the most common reason for exactly the symptoms you describe is that
    >> encryption is on and you are using the wrong encryption key.

    >hmm, ok i at least understand your reaction. I seem to remember from
    >previous attempts at configuring wireless cards that wrong encryption
    >keys would produce "authentification errors" or similiar...

    >> Check also that wpa_supplicant is not running when you are trying to
    >> connect (left over perhaps )

    >i'm pretty sure wpa_supplicant was still running every time i tried to
    >connect. Because of the situation described above, i initially tried to
    >connect with encryption (this is what my system does currently every
    >time i boot). I then turn off encryption on the router and try to
    >connect manually, but i certainly never killed wpa_supplicant before
    >trying that...

    I would suggest that you try killing it first and then connecting when no
    key is needed. It might interfere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2